Trying to remove emergency brake clasp

-

Wizard

Reaction score
Got all the brakes off on 72 valiant. Trying to get the cable thru the brake plate and there is the metal bung that holds it in the hole that cable goes thru. Tried with screw driver and pliers to squeeze all the little metal edges that are like prongs so it holds it in the plate and won't let it come back thru the other side. Any other way to get this off and cable thru the plate? Trying to take rear axle off.

Thnks

Haven't got much time to explain ... got to go to work... use a hose clamp on the prongs. Tighten the hose clamp on there to shrink the prongs... then slide it through the hole.

It can be tough. Do half at a time. Just squeeze one side of cable prongs at a time with pliers/screwdriver,at sametime,pull on cable outside of plate and bend to opposite side of prongs your pressing. That side should come through hole. Then do same for remainder of prongs on otherside.

If it makes sense.lol

Slip a 1/2 inch (I think) box wrench over the end of the cable and slide it down over the locking tangs. You will have to tap it down to compress the tangs wiggle the cable and pull it thru the backing plate. I have used this trick many a time to release park brake cables.

Brian

Haven't got much time to explain ... got to go to work... use a hose clamp on the prongs. Tighten the hose clamp on there to shrink the prongs... then slide it through the hole.
I've used this method several times, it worked for me!
Plus it frees up both hands for tugging and prying!

Good idea. Will try it. Thnks. Will let you know how make out.

Wizard

Slip a 1/2 inch (I think) box wrench over the end of the cable and slide it down over the locking tangs. You will have to tap it down to compress the tangs wiggle the cable and pull it thru the backing plate. I have used this trick many a time to release park brake cables.

Brian
Will also try this. Nother good idea. Thnks. Spent hour or so, trying to get off with pliers and screwdriver last night.

Wizard

All great ideas. I guess it depends on if you are removing shoe assembly or not.
Or just removing E cable.

I had to change the backing plates awhile back and used the hose clamp method to remove the E-cables.

I've had good luck using a 1/2" box wrench or deep well socket to close the prongs so I can pull the cable out from the back...

-
Back