tstat housing

-

highflyer

Reaction score
I need to buy a new one..the coolant washed holes in the chrome pos I was using..don't want another like it..anyone use the 4 seasons on ebag..or buy one they like and have had good luck with even if I have to surface it that's ok...???????????????tx.j

Just buy a good used one on here and put some money in a FABO members pocket. Nothing beats a 40+ year old, time tested, original part.

The one on my Barracuda and my wife's dart are both over 40 years old and look like they have about another 80+ years of useful life in them.

id get one from a member but havnt seen anyone selling one.....how the 4 seasons made..cast alum or zinc or pot metal..that clear is kinda neat but not over A HUN NEAT.LOL..maybe ill go to pnp...tx..j

i have a billet aluminum one i will sell for $20.00 (small block)

i used the terryautolab thermostat housing but when i went to install the rad hose it hit the accelerator pump on my mechanical six pack carbs. It was a bit to tall for what i needed, but still in the decision process about which way to go.

I use a polished alluminum from summit, take it on and off twice a year for 6 years now and no problems, plus it looks great.

If the thermostat housing rusted thru, I would be concerned about everything else that touches coolant, especially aluminum - SB timing cover, radiator. Normal ethylene glycol coolant needs to be changed every 2 years or so, and if you don't run the engine often the anti-corrosion additives can settle out. I am thinking of switching to Evan's Waterless Coolant (propylene glycol) in my old Mopars. I did so in my 85 M-B already. It costs 4x more but lasts forever, no more corrosion, builds no pressure, and harmless.

judging by the holes in the t cover,im thinking electrolisys is eating it..i think im going to run a ground wire to the intake man..

update..in searching for a new cover,i ran across a cast iron t stat cover ..has 4 numbers on it but no mopar numbers..in really great shape.did mopar at any time offer a cast iron thermostat cover for SB..j

cast iron cover

Attachments

• P1010173.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P1010175.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 100
What you have pictured is a factory item from Mopar

-
Back