TTI 1 7/8 Headers hitting oil pan

-
Pictures of the hammer clearancing?
For future reference of course.....

It was a “This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you” moment.
06D87B4E-AA2C-4043-97A3-BB6889D92004.png

Have you done it?

Because I’m pretty sure he won’t have to pull the headers to drop the pan. The road race pan has all of its kick outs below the headers. It will be harder to access the bolts, but if the steering link is dropped the oil pan can be dropped out.

And the engine doesn’t need to come out to pull the headers either. I’ve removed and replaced the Doug’s on my 340 in the car with the engine still on the mounts. Even with the road race oil pan in place. Personally, I’d leave the pan alone and drop the headers again. They’re the easier part to modify, and you don’t have to mess with resealing the pan. Yeah pulling the headers is a pain, but I don’t see how it’s avoidable.

Even if he had to do all that to drop the pan, he’s gonna have to do it anyway after he holes the pan with that spoon. Better to do it before the pan is damaged than after.
May I ask how you pulled the driver side header? I'm I. The same dilemma as the OP

This is an old thread but I’m the OP. I ended up pulling the engine and pulling the pan to modify. Only thing I would recommend. Now my header and pan are happy. Tons of clearance. Drivers side header stays in the car While you pull engine

May I ask how you pulled the driver side header? I'm I. The same dilemma as the OP

I put it a couple feet up on some 6 ton jack stands, pulled the Z-bar, mini-starter, and dropped the steering center link (and cycled the steering side to side depending on which side I was working on). I also pulled the torsion bars. By doing that I was able to pull the drivers side header without unbolting the mounts or raising the engine, the Milodon road race pan wasn’t an issue.

It’s in my build thread here, post #231
My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

I put it a couple feet up on some 6 ton jack stands, pulled the Z-bar, mini-starter, and dropped the steering center link (and cycled the steering side to side depending on which side I was working on). I also pulled the torsion bars. By doing that I was able to pull the drivers side header without unbolting the mounts or raising the engine, the Milodon road race pan wasn’t an issue.

It’s in my build thread here, post #231
My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head
Thank you! I'm feeling like I need a hole in head! Lol . I blame the pan. Without it the headers would be fine! But it came with my block and it is part of the build

-
Back