TTI BB headers...in an A-body?? Tell me your story...

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The good, bad and ugly.

Did they fit?

Anyone have them with a column shift??

Installation thoughts??

Exhaust you have behind them: Bolt up? Fabbed??

Thanks!

I have a set on my 69' Dart, but it's a 4 speed and I used a Magnaflow exhaust system behind it that was meant for an E body. The only thing I didn't care for was the drivers side bottom tubes hit the pitman arm stud and required a few taps with the BFH to clear even though I shimmed the motor on that side. I'm just a few hours from ya, come down and check it out if ya want.

Here is a video of my old dart after I just got done installing a 3.5 inch exhaust system on it. It was a Indy headed 440 with the Tati headers. The exhaust pipes was a home made kit.

On my car I had to take the grease zerk out of the pitman arm, was runing one of the tubes. Had to cut the shift lever off the steering column. Other than that I didn't have to dent any of the tubes. Also don't install the 7/16 mounting bolt for the trans. I am talking about the two bolts that go into the trans from the engine side. There is one on each side at the bottom of the engine/ transmission. You can't the bolt out after the headers are bolted on, on the passengers side. Here is a short vid I made after I got the exhaust pipes put on. The mufflers are 3.5 inch dynomax bullets.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Very sorry for some reason I can't get U tube to post on here using my Iphone

Can You install the tti headers on the engine and then install the engine from below? Or do.I ha e to fit them while installing the engine? Or do you have to drop the engine in from above? I want to build the suspension/brakes/engine combo and install from below. I have 2" headers if that matters.

So you can get B body TTI headers into an A body?

So you can get B body TTI headers into an A body?
I got them from a guy who had them in his Duster or Demon. He had to put a couple of small dents to fit them. They may be the 1 7/8" headers, I thought they were 2" but haven't looked at them for a long time, got them years ago.

Can You install the tti headers on the engine and then install the engine from below? Or do.I ha e to fit them while installing the engine? Or do you have to drop the engine in from above? I want to build the suspension/brakes/engine combo and install from below. I have 2" headers if that matters.
The factory was to install the engine from underneath. On my 73 dart I layed the TTI 2 inch headers in the engine bay frist and had two friends hold them while I dropped the engine/ trans in. I thought it was going to be a pain in the *** but I had the engine in less than a hour

The factory was to install the engine from underneath. On my 73 dart I layed the TTI 2 inch headers in the engine bay frist and had two friends hold them while I dropped the engine/ trans in. I thought it was going to be a pain in the *** but I had the engine in less than a hour
2" tti`s in a 68 barracuda fastback, 440/505 w/ raised port alum heads, magnum force front suspention, 727 w/ cheeta shifter. bought headers 2nd hand off a guy in witchitaw, straightened tubes 1 and 3, wrapped, installed in car w/ engine already in, very tight, but no interference anywhere, after I loosened the steering column at the floor, and moved it to the left as far as it would go in the stock holes. very tite but clears everything. plugs are a *****. jfyi-----bob

I was hoping to duplicate the factory method if possible, I'll be doing the install myself.

I installed mine by lifting the engine up - tight, starter and dipstick will be tight, even for a small high torque. If you are using a 727, I would recommend using an aftermarket dipstick tube. For #6 plug, I drilled a hole in the fender well - much easier.

I installed mine by lifting the engine up - tight, starter and dipstick will be tight, even for a small high torque. If you are using a 727, I would recommend using an aftermarket dipstick tube. For #6 plug, I drilled a hole in the fender well - much easier.

I agree about drilling hole in inner fender to make number 6 plug a lot easier to get too. After that I thought the plugs were easy to change. On the dipstick I used a locking one from cope racing. It fit great. Here is a link to it.
Cope Racing Transmissions

Sorry let's see if this works
CRTstick.JPG

Also for got to add that a set of the proforma fab valve covers wouldn't work with the TTI headers. Number 2 tube was hitting them. But the Mopar aluminum black ones fit fine also if it matters I was running Indy EZ heads

The good, bad and ugly.

Did they fit?

Anyone have them with a column shift??

Installation thoughts??

Exhaust you have behind them: Bolt up? Fabbed??

Thanks!

yes they fit. They are tight. Location of the engine is very important.

I have a factory floor shift which requires a simple flipping of an arm.

Install them as per instructions. Or slip the engine in from under. Drill a hole for the passenger plug that is hard to get to or use a hole punch (much cleaner)

The starter wiring can be tough. I'd use quick connects next time.

Use stage 8 fasteners

I use TTI 3" exhaust behind it with borlas

No, I went through the top but there is no reason you couldn't go from under. Only reason I didn't is my engine was already in.

Install the starter before the header and the wires. Pain in the rear to get the wires on the starter. Otherwise didn't have much of an issue installing in my Demon.

-
Back