TTi dual exhaust '67 dodge dart

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just started installing my tti 2.5" dual exhaust. I don't even have my 360 yet, but I'm redoing the fuel lines and you start the exhaust install from the back, so...

Anyway, my question is how close to the gas tank is OK for the passenger side? The driver side looks like there is plenty of space, but on the passenger side the exhaust, just guessing, will be pretty close to the gas tank. I think it's fine, like an inch or so spacing, anyone have pics and/or comments on this? I have heard of people moving their leaf springs outward for 3" exhaust. I have clearance between the leaf and the tank, but it's way closer on that side than the driver side. Pics below

Brian

driv.jpg

pass.jpg

All A bodies are tight on the pass side of the gas tank.

You could make a 1/2 round shield that mounts on the tailpipe in that area. A 1/2" distance from the tailpipe to the shield will do wonders.

Poorly made example but you get the idea

Screenshot_20231028-210702.png

'72 Duster 318 with stock manifolds, 904 trans and 2 1/2" TTI exhaust.

IMG952019030995103236847.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Yep, they're tight. You might be able to get a bit more room by loosening up the tank strap and forcing the tank over a bit more, and tightening it back up. Don't expect miracles, though. I've seen 3' in there- and I don't think there's anybody on the planet who moves the leaf springs OUT, exhaust diameter be damned. If anything, they're moving them in to gain tire clearance- I have heard of (and seen) tanks get narrowed in order to gain some clearance in there, though.

I used a roll of 2"x50' thermal wrap for the tight spots

IMG_20190403_142343.jpg

Yes, they are tight. They are tight around the shocks also. Make sure those are in place as you are checking clearances.

I honestly don't think the tailpipes get hot enough to cause any fuel tank heating problems. Make sure they don't rub anywhere & drive it.

I have 3in all the way back with tti headers on my 74 dart sport 360 the professional custom exhaust garage said as long as you can get your fingers in between it is fine but I did put exhaust wrap to insulate it more my idea not his and I have had no issues

I too have 3" TTI kit in my 69 Dart, been driving it that way for 6 years no issues. Also running 3/8" fuel lines, and offset spring hangers. One issue I am now having is slight interference between recently installed CalTrac split leaf mono spring and tailpipes.

As was said earlier, not enough heat in the tubes back there to cause issue with fuel tank. Make sure you have clearance for a little movement, and nothing is rubbing. If you are bothered by this, do as suggested and fab a heat shield, or wrap the pipes with thermal wrap. Be aware thermal wrap will hold moisture and cause corrosion.

Thanks all, I figure it's fine, just checking. I did shorten the tank strap bolt to give it a bit more clearance. There are no issues with the shock/axle area, just close on the front of the gas tank. I might just stick a little piece of aluminum clad fiberglass pad on that front corner of the tank. I agree, it likely won't get hot enough to matter, so I may just run it as is. Exhaust may be hot to the touch at the tail end, but nothing like the radiating heat in the engine bay.

Hey, I like those glass packs or resonators in front of your mufflers, was that to make it quieter? I had a resonator on the tail end of my last system for that reason, but I like your setup. Comments?

Yes, was to quiet the tone down as that setup was dumping out below the rear axle, no tailpipes.

Yes like the resonators at the rear also on full exhaust systems just like Ma Mopar set them up. Gives that unique Mopar sound without the loudness or drone.

☆☆☆☆☆

I've seen X pipe dual inlet/outlet mufflers with packing. My current pipes are H pipe, I'm wondering if there is an off the shelf dual in/out muffler that might take the place of two resonators....anyone done this?

Hello, if it helps here are some photos of my exhaust installation. I've had the same clearance issue when I made the 2.5 '' dual exhaust. it's a DIY made with a welder friend.
As mentioned earlier, it's very close to the tank, but this final part of the exhaust is not very hot. I stuck anyway a heat shield on the tank
Best regards
Lionel

IMG_7220.JPG

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7242.JPG

IMG_7241.JPG

-
Back