Tub refinishing

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
took my grody shower doors off and was going to clean them but i ended up tearing out the doors and nasty frames completely and am going to disposable shower curtains...So now my tub portion is bare of the framework and is showing its 1954 production date. Its already been redurfaced once but it looks like paint as it came off pretty easily where it was pealing off with a putty knife to expose the original finish. I want to resurface it myself and have a kit that has 2 parts of surface prep (sodium bicarbonate crystals and citric acid crystals) for a 2 step prep, then a 2 part epoxy paint and a few little rollers. Im reading the directions and it says 2 days dry time min before use and 5 days cure for epoxy. WTF, do you do this the day before your vacation or something? Anyone have some tips on other products?

took my grody shower doors off and was going to clean them but i ended up tearing out the doors and nasty frames completely and am going to disposable shower curtains...So now my tub portion is bare of the framework and is showing its 1954 production date. Its already been redurfaced once but it looks like paint as it came off pretty easily where it was pealing off with a putty knife to expose the original finish. I want to resurface it myself and have a kit that has 2 parts of surface prep (sodium bicarbonate crystals and citric acid crystals) for a 2 step prep, then a 2 part epoxy paint and a few little rollers. Im reading the directions and it says 2 days dry time min before use and 5 days cure for epoxy. WTF, do you do this the day before your vacation or something? Anyone have some tips on other products?

I have always heard the epoxies are they way to go besides a porcelain recoat.
You just have to use a little extra deodorant for a few days. :D

powdercoat ?

I guess the real issue getting a smooth enough surface underneath. I have had a few antique items refinished by a local expert, but I dont remember the cost.

powdercoat wont stick to Porcelain, I think it has to be electrically charged for the powder to stick, and there is no way Im hauling a 400lb built in iron tub to the coaters...But that would be a pretty good alternative if it were a freestanding old west piece.

My parents hired there's done, along with some other remodeling, and stayed with us for a week. I wouldn't want to stay closed up indoors with all the chemical fumes anyway. Their resurface held up well for a lot of years.

I did mine on a Thursday and didn't shower again until Monday. It lasted about 5 years before it started to peel up from use. Make sure to do a perfect job of surface prep to get it to last. Mine turned out perfectly smooth.

Steve, are you dead set on re-glazing it?

There is a company that can come to your house and laser measure the tub and make a 'cover' if you will, that drops right on and is supposed to be a perfect fit.

Don't know the cost.

Bruce, that's the ticket! I now remember seeing that at a home and garden show. They like spray the tub with contact cement and drop in a liner, trim and your done. Sounds like the best option for a busy house, and you can get colors...

-
Back