Tube Chassis Hemi Dart Project

-
A great milestone was letting the gold color go, shooting filler primer, and finally some black.

Attachments

• fam_buick 001.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,148
  • fam_buick 004.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,444
  • fam_buick 060.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,156
  • fam_buick 063.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,304
Here are some pics of the chassis. My goal is to build a street legal (or pretty close) race car. It will be insured and registered but no inspection sticker because no windshield wipers. All of the floor, front suspension, rear suspension, torsion bars, etc. were cut out of the car, to be replaced by this chassis we built. It is all chrome moly and built to sfi 25.4 specs. This means it is certified to run as quick as 7.50 seconds in the quarter mile. We missed getting a 25.2 spec (6.00 in the quarter) by one bar which would have gone under the footwell under the driver. We elected not to weld this bar in because it would have killed our plan to run an exhaust system on the car. Had to compromise and realistically have no plans of ever going that fast anyway. I had the complete chassis powdercoated before we lowered the body back on it. This car is all steel except for fiberglass hood, trunk, and bumpers. All glass is real (no lexan) and with me in it it weighs 2900 lbs. Strange struts are up front and AFCO shocks and a 4 link in the rear.

Attachments

• car 007.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,648
  • car 006.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 3,515
  • car 005.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,605
  • car 004.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2,422
For some reason it looks like some advertisement is attaching on to the pics I am posting. Hopefully it is not screwing them up. Do you all see something at the bottom of my photos? Thanks

Yep I have just noticed it today, maybe something new. But everything is clear and AWESOME looking. Great Job.

Brad

I have been noticing the adds the last couple of days looks like the Admin have found another way of making some income can't blame them though gotta make a profit somehow.

Car looks awsome!!! Been thinking of going that route on my 68 Cuda.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. HEMI-ITIS, looks like your investment in AN fittings and steel braided hose is like mine--wallet busting! Hemi looks awesome with that blower.
Thanks!!! I need the extra power,my junk weighs 3850 with my fat ***:yawinkle:

HEMI-ITIS--are you using the SV1 carbs yet? If so, how do you like them? I already had purchased my 1050 Dominator from Bill Mitchell way before the SV1's came out. Thanks
Not yet,hope to get on the engine dyno in a coupla weeks and then get a converter built:toothy7:

Attachments

• GARAGE 2 021.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • garage 4 056.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1,036
New photos! I am also showing some before and after for perspective. One thing I am especially proud of is the dash. Most cars built like this lose the dash and end up with some aftermarket or homemade piece of aluminum hogged out for some guages. I wanted as much street look to this build as I could accomplish. We took 6 inches out of the middle of the dash and used a silicon bronze rod to weld it back together so it could fit with the down bars of the cage. I think we pulled it off pretty well. Also, I had my Weld Magnum wheels sent back to Weld to be converted to beadlocks and they did a great job. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• dart 048.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • dart 047.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • dart 045.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 998
  • dart 049.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • dart 054.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • hemiseat.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,568
  • hemireartirewheel.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 994
  • dart 046.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,012
  • hemitrunk.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,019
UN FRICKIN' AMAZING!!!....man....now I know why they call me a "rookie"

luv the dash.....always amazed at what a little slice and dice will do...I realize though what looks like a simple mod takes a ton of thought/work to make it seem that it's simple.....did I say that right???

Wow that looks awsome!!! What brand of hood did you use? How was the quality and fit? Looking to possibly get one for my 71 and that one looks sweet.

Awsome car, but I kinda liked the gold....

UN FRICKIN' AMAZING!!!....man....now I know why they call me a "rookie"

luv the dash.....always amazed at what a little slice and dice will do...I realize though what looks like a simple mod takes a ton of thought/work to make it seem that it's simple.....did I say that right???
Thanks HemiDenny. You remind me of one of those top professional poker players on ESPN that sit there with their sunglasses on and bluff their way to thousands of dollars in winnings. I have seen all of your posted pics of your build and it is awesome with the same level of quality and care I am using. I especially like your mounts and hardware on the rear axle. Maybe in 2012 I can head north to the Nats and hook up with you and your crew and we can test drive each other's rides.

Wow that looks awsome!!! What brand of hood did you use? How was the quality and fit? Looking to possibly get one for my 71 and that one looks sweet.
Thanks 80arrow. I am using an Unlimited Products hood. I have read both good and bad things about their quality. When I got mine it showed fairy good quality glass work but not great. My painter and I spent a few hours skimming light coats of body filler to smooth out some dips. If you are able to massage it some then it will look good on your car.

I've had some people ask about the wheel tubs and aluminum paneling in the trunk and back seat area. It is all powdercoated purple with a clear powdercoat on top. I used black 1/8" rivets I got from Speedway Motors to finish it all off.

I've had some people ask about the wheel tubs and aluminum paneling in the trunk and back seat area. It is all powdercoated purple with a clear powdercoat on top. I used black 1/8" rivets I got from Speedway Motors to finish it all off.
Here is a pic of the aluminum panels I cut from 4x8 sheets. Each started out as a cardboard template and after cutting were beadrolled for strength and design. It took me about a month to completely fabricate the wheel tubs and panels. Since each is a one off piece I had to make sure my powdercoater guy was extremely careful not to drop or bend any. He did a perfect job and I'm lucky he did.

Attachments

• snow10 040.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,050
Oh yeah, do you see the question mark ? design in one of the panels? We beadrolled that into it. The reason is when I first bought the car all of my chevy/pontiac/ford buddies kept saying "why a Mopar? Why a Dart and not a Cuda? Why a Hemi and not a Wedge?" Anyway, there were so many questions blasting my way I wanted to pay tribute to all the negative naybobs out there that thought I couldn't/shouldn't build this car.

So I'm gittin caught up on your thread and all of a sudden,,,,,,,,it was like going from a 10 inch black & white TV to a 60 inch plasma8)That thang POPS!!!!:notworth::notworth::notworth:

So I'm gittin caught up on your thread and all of a sudden,,,,,,,,it was like going from a 10 inch black & white TV to a 60 inch plasma8)That thang POPS!!!!:notworth::notworth::notworth:
Thanks HEMI-ITIS. If I'm ever in Long Island we'll have to get together and cruise our Hemi's New York style.

-
Back