Tubular A-arms/Coilovers

-

BBBCUDA

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie to the forum, and I already have a question... I am getting back on track on a long languishing project, a '67 Barracuda. I bought, (years ago), a set of tubular upper A-arms and coilover set-up for the car, (Magnum Force?), and I was wondering if I could get feedback from people who have actually run them. The big question is whether the front end (inner fender/shock mount area) needs additional bracing for street use. I have heard yes and no to this question. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you absolutely need additional support. I realize Magnumforce considers it an optional kit, but the shock mounts were never designed to carry the weight of the car.

I got my set-up at Bobs Pro Fab .... There a lil cheaper and Bob does all his testing at the TRACK .... And about the street ... Its a DREAM to drive .... Bob's Pro Far .... He's the MAN

The big question is whether the front end (inner fender/shock mount area) needs additional bracing for street use. I have heard yes and no to this question.

yes they need to be braced. the stock shock mounts were never intended to carry the weight of the car. the frame rails will twist over time if not reinforced.

Our old MoPars were really very well engineered for their time.

Thanks for the replies fellas. it sounds like I need to run a bit more of a cage, with some forward bars over the front shock mounts. I hoped I could avoid the additional weight, but it doesn't appear likely in my case. Thanks.

Additional weight is not nessecarily a bad thing, adding a cage is adding weight but if done correctly it will improve quarter mile times, sub frame connectors also add weight but will help in preventing body flex and also improve times.

I was hoping someone can provide pictures of their front coilover instalations for
a 69 Dart. I have a blown 572 with engine baybars and have purchased Qa1's with a
450 lb. spring rate. I have tubular upper and lower control arms and the Qa1's
outer spring hits the frame rail using the stock shock mount location. Does anyone make an offset bracket to cure this problem?

-
Back