Tubular K member design

-
swapping the arms side to side wiuld have never worked but was a good option to keep the car mobile for mock up purposes. I never put it up on my alignment rack that way but I'm sure the toe in on turns was horrible and it would have scrubbed the tires off in no time.

No iron in this fire....have a HDK for our 69.....but I am curious as to why one would ditch the bulky in the way steering box and keep the equally pita torsion bars? These are just as guilty as the clunky steering box when it comes to header fitment...please don't say for expense....in the grand scheme of building one of these money pits the added expense of coil overs vs. torsion bars is nothing...especially when you figure in the nightmare the torsion bars create for headers....seriously, if the added expense of coil overs over t-bars stop you from building one of these things perhaps you need to take up rock collecting or some other equally less costly hobby. With a little bit of fab work, assuming the t-bars are gone, one could also remove the t-bar cross member as well, opening all sorts of room for a modern day transmission.

My last statement is assuming that a non-purist is building this car....because a purist WOULD NOT be putting MII spindles and a rack from another car in there a-body...shame on anyone who does...

My last statement is assuming that a non-purist is building this car....because a purist WOULD NOT be putting MII spindles and a rack from another car in there a-body...shame on anyone who does...

a true purist wouldn't want to upgrade their suspension at all because the factory setup is perfect in every way.

hello
my name is Tim
I am looking for some input from FABO members about my tubular k member design
I have made a couple of prototypes already and tested them in my cars. first k member used the stock lower control arms and torsion bars but went to a front steer rack and pinion for oil pan and header clearance. second frame is a variation of that frame with custom lower arms and coilovers. both frames use the stock spindles and custom steering arms to maintain proper Ackerman angles. What spawned me making my own frame in the first place was 1: I had already spent a bunch of money on brake upgrades 2: cost of all the options in aftetmarket frames on the market and 3: I have installed and worked with a couple of the other frames on the market in customer cars and found design issues.

My question to anyone reading this is what would you like to see in an aftermarket kframe that is not being offered at the moment?

sorry no pics of the frames right now. there is snow on the ground and my cars are in storage. I'll take pics as soon as I have them up on the hoist next. thanks
Hi Tim---I am doing a 1966 Plymouth Valiant with a 1955 270ci hemi engine swap---We are going to do a K member/ front steer rack and pinion swap also for the resons you mentioned---Have you developed your kit yet ?

Hi Tim---I am doing a 1966 Plymouth Valiant with a 1955 270ci hemi engine swap---We are going to do a K member/ front steer rack and pinion swap also for the resons you mentioned---Have you developed your kit yet ?
i think he's left the forum, he's not been around here in over a year.

-
Back