Tubular K Member

-
i'm not running one but i just don't get it... what is the advantage with it? it can't really save much weight, it still uses a steering box and torsion bars and i don't really see it being stronger then a stock one. for $2100 it looks like a waste of time and money. personally to me its just a gimmik to take money from you...
the site says " COMING SOON! TUBULAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS for a torsion bars and Coil over specific Lower arms." they better have some kind of support for the coilovers or they are gonna have the same problems as that magnumforce junk ...

if your going to spend all that money and go through all that trouble putting a tube K-member in then go all the way and get an alter-k ( not really that much more money) that eliminates the torsion bars and steering box which clears up all kinds of room and makes the car handle awesome...

Good Points. The biggest reason I need this thing is for clearance and adjustablility. The K Member has slotted holes to allow slight adjustment which I need to get my tti header off of the torsion bars. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the alterkation kit repuire heavy fabrication or alteration of the engine bay and wheel wells. If so then that will be a no go for me.

uuuh NO.... no alteration whatsoever...

you drill a total of 4 or 6 spotwelds and remove the bumpstops, other then that you can have it in and drive it in a weekend....

joe.. POST PIX!

and IF yout tti's are hitting the t-bars, you have the wrong mounts, or some other problem (acident? ) causing the engine to be out of facttory location....

worn out mounts?

wo knows... but thier desined to fit factory locations...

fwaugh said:
Good Points. The biggest reason I need this thing is for clearance and adjustablility. The K Member has slotted holes to allow slight adjustment which I need to get my tti header off of the torsion bars. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the alterkation kit repuire heavy fabrication or alteration of the engine bay and wheel wells. If so then that will be a no go for me.

i don't know where you heard that but the alter-k practally falls into the car.. no cutting no welding at all... the only thing you need to do is drill the spot welds and take the bump stops off the frame which is cake.. the alter-k is a little more money but not only frees up a ton more room but inproves the handleing incredibley...

i have to agree with dvv.. if your headders are hitting the t-bars then there is a problem somewhere other then the k-frame...

if i remember when i get home from work i'll post the pics of the alter-k install.. hell my 12 year old put the entire passenger side together himself.... thats how easy it is..

The CAP system offers a ton of advanatages... weight savings, clearence and is a cleaner system them allows ANY engine platform from big blocks to the new Hemi with any oil pan. You may want to call and get the facts before making any judgement. Besides competition is a good thing isn't it?

Just a thought.

10secondart said:
The CAP system offers a ton of advanatages... weight savings, clearence and is a cleaner system them allows ANY engine platform from big blocks to the new Hemi with any oil pan. You may want to call and get the facts before making any judgement. Besides competition is a good thing isn't it?

Just a thought.

i really can't see it saving that much weight because your still running the steering box and torsion bars.ok the tube uppers may save a little weight but you still have the stock lowers. i see a tube lower is on the way too but if you go coilovers with them what is going to support the weight of the car? the stock shock tower? thats trouble.. and like i said if your gonna spend all that money why not just go with a R&P system that is even lighter and gives you even more room? the only place that i can see that cap system being used if it is actually that much lighter then the stock set up is in certian classes of racing that require stock type of suspension... i don't need to call anyone.. i can see the pictures and read what is on the web site.thats all they are gonna tell me on the phone anyway... competition of what is a good thing? the only thing that competes with is the stock suspension...

What is the weight savings on the CAP vs stock K? I thought you could run the upper tubular control arms with the stock set up?

Joe,
clearly you are happy with your Alterkation set up and you should be!That said, the CAP system goes after a different market. Stock guys that don't want to switch over to a rack or coil over system with the ability to easily go back to stck with out any alteration in any way.
The CAP K allows you to replace the stock one, lose some weight and gain clearence at an affordable price. ($1650) Nothing else to discuss.....two good companies with great products. In case you have not figured it out I am the owner of CAP. There is room for both Bill and I with out having to beat up each others products. He has good stuff... I have good stuff just different. Let's leave it at that shall we?

Thanks for the dialogue, I always appriciate an educated exchange.

Ray

Well I bought it and it went in without any issues. Looks great and gave me the flexibilty I needed. I will probably go to the alterkation at some point but for now this is a very nice solution. By the way....Ray has been very helpful during the process. Seems to be a common trait of you mopar guys.

Can you use this system w/a 5.7L Hemi and it's stock oil pan?

If not will the Alterxtion?

Jason

The truck 5.7 hemi has a rear sump, the car 5.7 hemi has a front sump. If this k frame has the old center link then you need a center sump oil pan. The Alterktion will easily clear the truck hemis rear sump oil pan. Hopes this helps.

Dodgenut64 said:
The truck 5.7 hemi has a rear sump, the car 5.7 hemi has a front sump. If this k frame has the old center link then you need a center sump oil pan. The Alterktion will easily clear the truck hemis rear sump oil pan. Hopes this helps.

It's a Truck 5.7L... will it clear w/the CAP k bar? I know that Alter. is very pricy, but would it I be better off using it or the CAP if i'm gonna upgrade to front dice in the future?

Jason

USCG CHARGER said:
Can you use this system w/a 5.7L Hemi and it's stock oil pan?

If not will the Alterxtion?

Jason

i know the alter-k-tion can be used with the new hemi.. you would have to call bill and see what pan it uses.. i'm pretty sure one of the stock pans work with it..

USCG CHARGER said:
It's a Truck 5.7L... will it clear w/the CAP k bar? I know that Alter. is very pricy, but would it I be better off using it or the CAP if i'm gonna upgrade to front dice in the future?

Jason

to be honest with you the alter-k really isn't that much more the the cap system.. it is really a bargin when you look at what you get with the alter-k over the cap system... like i said earlier the cap looks ok if you still want to keep your stock suspension and limit yourself to a steering box,strut rods and torsion bars... i would save the extra $1500 or so and get rack and pinion steering, coil overs, upper and lower tube control arms and a proven system ..... the alter-k-tion gives you everything you need to pull into the garage pull the car apart and drive out of the garage after the weekend....

USCG CHARGER said:

Jason

Youll need a center sump pan if ya go with anything that has a center link. If ya go with the alter K, you can use your truck pan. Just a heads up, you can use your stock suspension, hemi mounts from TTI, and a center sump oil pan, if your on a budget. If ya want to use exhaust manifolds this will all work without buying a new suspension, however if ya want room for headers get the alter K. I wanted to update my front suspension abit and at one point wanted headers, but now im gonna go with stock exhaust manifolds. my old suspension needed to be completely rebuilt anyway, so i decided to spend a little more and get the alterktion. Im just getting around to trial fitting it into my 64 dart.

Dodgenut64 said:
Youll need a center sump pan if ya go with anything that has a center link. If ya go with the alter K, you can use your truck pan. Just a heads up, you can use your stock suspension, hemi mounts from TTI, and a center sump oil pan, if your on a budget. If ya want to use exhaust manifolds this will all work without buying a new suspension, however if ya want room for headers get the alter K. I wanted to update my front suspension abit and at one point wanted headers, but now im gonna go with stock exhaust manifolds. my old suspension needed to be completely rebuilt anyway, so i decided to spend a little more and get the alterktion. Im just getting around to trial fitting it into my 64 dart.
Yeah I stayed up last light till 1:30 reading that install on moparts.com. It looks as if they are having fit issues with the TTI motor mounts. my 67 Cuda Notch back doesn't have power steering, power brales, or A/C.
MomsR/T is doing the install and all the fab work if need be. I'll help out when I can,,,I'm a little green at this though. Ok So, That write up looks as if they had to relocate the oil filter and had to cut the steering column 4" b/c it doesn't clear the heads in the rear corner. The headers fit but are really tight, I'm not sure if they used the stock K or the Alter. K.

I'm just wanting to get the motor in ASAP w/the factory K. Then maybe in the future...near future get the Alter K I prolly get it when I have the CAr painted. If We fit everything to the factory K ( motor mounts, TTI headers, oil pan, ETC.) can I replace it later with the Alter. K?

Jason

Heres the cool thing about the Alterktion ( one of the reasons i bought it), a center sump or rear sump oil pan will clear, as well as headers. Also, i believe the oil filter can stay on the block with no need to make it remote (off the block). If ya already have a remote filter, all you need is the center sump (with the stock k-frame). Not sure why they are having fitting issues with your mounts. I had Bill at RMS make hemi mounts for my Alterktion and they fit well (took me a little while to figure them out). If you already have most the stuff for the stock suspension, id say just go with it for now. getting to drive you car is the most important thing in my opinion. As you said, later you can just get the alterktion if you feel like ya need it. I think its an awsome system, but it can wait till youve gotten to drive your car for awhile. If later you want the alterktion, you can still use your center sump and remote filter (although i think having the filter on the block looks nicer). As far as the mounts, im guessing youll have to have Bill make you some hemi mounts for your alterktion.
Are you gonna use headers? if so they might be real tight with the stock K frame and gear box. You might want to wait for headers till ya deside if ya want an alterktion.

Hope this helps

Dodgenut64 said:
Heres the cool thing about the Alterktion ( one of the reasons i bought it), a center sump or rear sump oil pan will clear, as well as headers. Also, i believe the oil filter can stay on the block with no need to make it remote (off the block). If ya already have a remote filter, all you need is the center sump (with the stock k-frame). Not sure why they are having fitting issues with your mounts. I had Bill at RMS make hemi mounts for my Alterktion and they fit well (took me a little while to figure them out). If you already have most the stuff for the stock suspension, id say just go with it for now. getting to drive you car is the most important thing in my opinion. As you said, later you can just get the alterktion if you feel like ya need it. I think its an awsome system, but it can wait till youve gotten to drive your car for awhile. If later you want the alterktion, you can still use your center sump and remote filter (although i think having the filter on the block looks nicer). As far as the mounts, im guessing youll have to have Bill make you some hemi mounts for your alterktion.
Are you gonna use headers? if so they might be real tight with the stock K frame and gear box. You might want to wait for headers till ya deside if ya want an alterktion.

Hope this helps
We haven't even started this project. It will most likely begin w/in the next few wks. Sounds as if I'm gonna go ahead and just replace everything w/a front suspention kit and front disk brake conversion kit kinda like these:http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=682 http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=241 They seem like money well spent...what do you think? I'll just have them installed when I have my car blasted or just clean up. I'll prolly replace the rear leafs as well that should be a good 2k for a full suspention and brake upgrade from what is on there now.

Yes I think we decided to go w/TTI headers They also make engine mounts as well.

I'm just hoping that I don't have to replace the oil pan since I'm sticking w/the stock k frame. Like I said before the headers can be done but they are a close fit. Does this all sound right?

Jason

Oh yeah...No we don't have a remote location for the oil filter either...yet. Do you think I'll need one w/the stock k frame and headers?

Dont know if ya get HOT ROD, but they have an artical on this very swap, very imformative. I have the magazine at work, so i cant say for sure about the oil filter, but if i remember right, you will. If your gonna use the stock k-frame you gotta have a center sump. The truck hemi has a rear sump pan and the car hemis have a front sump.Do a search for Street and performance, i think there website is hotrodlane.com. Look at the swap on the GTX, they used the stock suspension on it, so youll run into simular stuff.

We haven't even started this project. It will most likely begin w/in the next few wks. Sounds as if I'm gonna go ahead and just replace everything w/a front suspention kit and front disk brake conversion kit kinda like these:http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/pr...?product_id=682 http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/pr...?product_id=241 They seem like money well spent...what do you think?

seems like decent kits.. but between them its like $1700... which is ok i guess but if you do decide to go over to an alter-k-tion you can't reuse any of it so it would be like throwing that out the window... if you want to keep the stock suspension then its no big deal.. i would hate to see you spend all that money only to pull it off the car in the near future... at $1700 your half way there and may as well save a bit longer and get the alter-k if thats the direction you want to go in the long run anyway.. know what i'm saying?

abodyjoe said:
seems like decent kits.. but between them its like $1700... which is ok i guess but if you do decide to go over to an alter-k-tion you can't reuse any of it so it would be like throwing that out the window... if you want to keep the stock suspension then its no big deal.. i would hate to see you spend all that money only to pull it off the car in the near future... at $1700 your half way there and may as well save a bit longer and get the alter-k if thats the direction you want to go in the long run anyway.. know what i'm saying?

I completely see what ur saying but they are starting the engine mock up right away with a blown 5.7 motor. I would have to hold up progress with this mock if I wanted to go w/the alter k b/c of the oil pan, oil filter and headers clearence. The way the clearence is different between the stock K frame and the alter k corect?

Jason

-
Back