tubular lower control arms for coilovers

-
I'm curious as to how it would hold up....subscribed

Lol..... Way stronger than the stock crap is all I got to say about that! Chromoly Tig welded and I am pretty sure it is .120 Wall.

Stock is stamped mild steel spot welded...... Lol

Lol..... Way stronger than the stock crap is all I got to say about that! Chromoly Tig welded and I am pretty sure it is .120 Wall.

That's kind of my thoughts, these are 1-1/4" .120" wall but they are just mild steel. I thought about doing chrome moly and still might but I've read a lot about the brittle nature of moly and decided mild might be a better fit for this application. The portion where the bushing is inserted is 2-1/2" .250" wall so these should be plenty stout!

That's kind of my thoughts, these are 1-1/4" .120" wall but they are just mild steel. I thought about doing chrome moly and still might but I've read a lot about the brittle nature of moly and decided mild might be a better fit for this application. The portion where the bushing is inserted is 2-1/2" .250" wall so these should be plenty stout!

Looks like Chromoly to me. Still Tig welded and they are thick.

I'm always mystified at comments like this inferring that stock Chrysler suspension components were "crap". These "crap" components have been documented as having routinely lived on the pot holed streets of New York city in taxi cabs for over 250,000 miles! I guarantee that no welded components could ever, ever match that stock "crap" for durability under any circumstances. Furthermore, if the game plan here is to use these solid rod ends positioned on their flat as seen, they will fail, and catastrophically. Each of the threads in those shanks represent potential stress risers and with close to 1000 lbs of static weight on each, are well beyond their designed purpose. Incorporate some sharp bumps or potholes and the dynamic weight/tension on those components can easily exceed 8X their static weight. Not being critical of the effort at all. The workmanship appears very good, but engineers that designed the Chrysler suspension were at the top of their trade, and it's kind of tiring to hear people constantly badmouthing, what is in reality, an excellent suspension design.

Subscribed. Nice work . I admire your fabrication skills and would probably be interested in a pair of them. I purchased a set like these from another member ,that shall remain nameless, and never received them. FYI, Hemi Denny sells a nice set of coilover support hoops for a reasonable price.

I've been waiting for someone to build these ever since dillinger chassis dropped off the face of the earth. Nice work, do you plan on adding a bump stop?

Subscribed. Nice work . I admire your fabrication skills and would probably be interested in a pair of them. I purchased a set like these from another member ,that shall remain nameless, and never received them. FYI, Hemi Denny sells a nice set of coilover support hoops for a reasonable price.

I would like to take a look at making a set of those as well but my car already has the cage tied into the shock supports so I do not have anything to build off from. I sure hope you got your $$$ back!

I'm always mystified at comments like this inferring that stock Chrysler suspension components were "crap". These "crap" components have been documented as having routinely lived on the pot holed streets of New York city in taxi cabs for over 250,000 miles! I guarantee that no welded components could ever, ever match that stock "crap" for durability under any circumstances. Furthermore, if the game plan here is to use these solid rod ends positioned on their flat as seen, they will fail, and catastrophically. Each of the threads in those shanks represent potential stress risers and with close to 1000 lbs of static weight on each, are well beyond their designed purpose. Incorporate some sharp bumps or potholes and the dynamic weight/tension on those components can easily exceed 8X their static weight. Not being critical of the effort at all. The workmanship appears very good, but engineers that designed the Chrysler suspension were at the top of their trade, and it's kind of tiring to hear people constantly badmouthing, what is in reality, an excellent suspension design.

Yes I understand your position...... But then again this stuff is simply stronger no if ands or butts about it. If you don't agree that is your opinion.

Sounds like your another it has to be all stock purist. **** that.

I've been waiting for someone to build these ever since dillinger chassis dropped off the face of the earth. Nice work, do you plan on adding a bump stop?

I havent got that far yet :violent1: I was studying the thread on the Dillinger arms and had considered making something similar, I just felt from the things I had read there was a lot to be improved upon and I didnt like that you had to modify the k-member. At this point these are a direct bolt in replacement with no modifications to anything.

My comment was to Matto. He was wondering when someone was going to make these. Just pointing out Bob has been making them for a long time now. Same concept.

I do not disagree that the stock arms work well in stock form for a stock car, however thats not what this thread is about....

My comment was to Matto. He was wondering when someone was going to make these. Just pointing out Bob has been making them for a long time now. Same concept.

He does? For a stock K-member? I have done tons of research on just about every aftermarket k member and stock replacement etc, etc I could find. I have been to his site quite a few times and never seen arms for the stock k member. Got a link?

EDIT: I went and looked his kit up, your right, similar design but a little different. No offense as he is a business and I am not but his kit is quite expensive...

I wasnt trying to pee in your cereal. I like what tour doing. One sugestion/ idea. I will be adding a rear plate to support the back of the bolt to the frame now that my car is going onto the street. What are your thought on providing more strength.

If you want a great money maker fab a sent of front steer ball jounts arms to run a rack forward of the k member.

and yes the kit is ok. No issue on the track. But I wish I had gotten the whole k kit.
One thing overlooked is the coil overs are heavy. 5he weight reduction is not worth the cost. You are paying to remove your t bars for space. The steering is still the sticking point if you want to move the engine back with a bb.

-
Back