Tuning For Detonation

-
RRR,
[1] The newer hi flow [ Chinese ] stats can jam. They have a rubber seal/ring inside the main cup that is probably a little stuff. Dribble some ATF over the seal area it & then try it again in boiling water, it should work.
[2] As you found out, DCR & compression tests do not give a reliable indicator of an engine's tolerance to detonation. I alluded to this in my earlier post, which YR scoffed at, showing he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are PLENTY of examples of engines that, according to 'theory' should be detonating, but are not; & plenty of engines that are detonating [ like yours ] that should not be.
[3] I would richen the power cct of your carb, slightly. This should provide cooler combustion & may get you over the hump...

WTF are you talking about? I’ve been running high compression pump gas engines since the 1980’s. And I still do it. And I’ve been explaining on FABO how to do it. It aint hard to do and the end result is worth the effort.

Get real bro.

EDIT: I went back and looked for a post where I said ONE WORD about something you posted that was negative. You have issues dude. Don’t be proud of being a mental midget.

I just checked the compression on my street 170, last week. Mine was 165-175, just about the same as yours. My engine is a measured 9.5 to 1 CR. It has the mildest Mopar Performance cam. I don't remember the center line I used (need to find my notes). And we have similar problems. Just a FYI
PS: It seems to like about 30 degrees total, and in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 degrees initial. but as I stated in a previous post, I haven't done any dist recurve yet. and cheated on getting the initial, and total I wanted, by connecting the Vac adv to manifold vacuum.

Last edited:

That was a bad link for me. If you've been reading, you've seen I did put RN9YC plugs in from RN14YC. That's a pretty big jump. So far, it's idled a LOT tuning on it and they have yet to foul, so I think they're gonna work ok. They also did back off the spark knock a little, too.....just like everything other thing I've done. We're gonna drive it later and see where it is. I haven't driven it since getting total limited to 31. It may be gone, now. I still have a few more things I can do, too.

I just checked the compression on my street 170, last week. Mine was 165-175, just about the same as yours. My engine is a measured 9.5 to 1 CR. It has the mildest Mopar Performance cam. I don't remember the center line I used (need to find my notes). And we have similar problems. Just a FYI
PS: It seems to like about 30 degrees total, and in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 degrees initial. but as I stated in a previous post, I haven't done any dist recurve yet. and cheated on getting the initial, and total I wanted, by connecting the Vac adv to manifold vacuum.

Thanks, Charlie! That's really close to where my curve is now. Haven't driven it yet, but when I do, I'll report back.

Well, my 160 high flow thermostat was faulty. It wouldn't open. Not even on the stove at 230 degrees. So I had a 195 high flow I stick in it last night. Went to town today. The car ran about 3/4 hot there and back. It normally runs 1/4 to half. So. Got the heat gun out when we got home. right behind the thermostat, under the temp sender it's 179 degrees. The radiator's so efficient, it wasn't letting the thermostat get hot enough to open. lol All the flow it had was the "about" 1/8"bleed hole in the thermostat. If it weren't fer bad luck........went back into town and got an Eddy "high flow" 160 thermostat from Oreally. Got that in now and will drive again tomorrow.

Here's the good news. Until it FINALLY got to about half way on the gauge with the 195 stat, Kitty said no matter how hard I crowded it, there was NO spark knock. We might have it licked. I do have a high quality Stewart Components 160 high flow t stat comin, so I'll replace the Eddy with that. The Eddy "says" it's a high flow, but the hole in it is no bigger than stock. Maybe it opens more? Crapped if I know.

Oh and @kesteb I wanted to tell you I didn't mean what I said personally....not at all. Didn't mean for it to come out like that. ALL I meant was there was NO way I was gonna run manifold heat, come hell or high water. That's all.

Well, Yellow Rose, smart fella who claims no problem running 'high compression pump gas engines' with no problems....
This thread is about somebody who IS having problems.
And THIS threads shows that sometimes it doesn't work.
Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are......

Well, Yellow Rose, smart fella who claims no problem running 'high compression pump gas engines' with no problems....
i thought this thread was about tuning to get reid of slight detonation, and RRR ant gave up yet,...toooo early to say it "dosen't work" yet i believe!

'One thing to understand is that detonation is not necessarily destructive'

And...

'If you've driven a car that has a lot of spark advance on the freeway, you'll hear it pinging. It can run that way for thousands & thousands of miles.'

These quotes are from a multipage Detonation/Pre-ignition article written by GM engineer A. W. Cline in 2000. You should be able to find the full article on the net.

Every individual step I've taken so far has made a positive difference. To me, this is hot rodding 101. This is what it's all about. As far as I'm concerned, this is actually a good problem to have. Kinda like tire spin at the strip. You know there's power to be made. With 175 PSI cranking pressure there's a lot of potential for power there. I'm not afraid to try to tune for it and just coincidentally, tuning to get rid of detonation, in this case will help get to that power. I think it's fun. It's a challenge. That's the whole point of me creating this thread. So all of you could follow along and maybe we could all learn something together, whether through my success or failure. As far as I'm concerned, I'm already successful. I can drive the car, everyday and without ever having spark knock. It only does it now when I absolute crowd the hell out of it.....and I've not test driven it since I put the 160 thermostat in last night.

Here's a thought. If any of you don't like this thread and don't appreciate it for its contributions, how about just staying out of it?

Wow.

Aight den. We just got back from town. ZERO detonation there. ZERO detonation luggin hell out of it around town. ZERO detonation on the way back. The temp now runs about 1/8 the way up on the gauge. I have to wonder if even the 180 thermostat was opening all the way. I know from the IR gun evidence the 195 was not opening at all. @yellow rose, here's you a plug picture. Sorry for the crappy focus. I'm not really good at readin um and I know you really should cut the shell off....but I ain't doin that to new plugs. lol Also the second picture is close to where the temp gauge is drivin it. It actually runs more to the left of where it is....about 1/8 the way off the cold line.
PLUG.jpg

TEMP GAUGE.jpg

Thank-you for allowing us to follow along with your journey. Definitely a learning experience. Thanks again for being a patient teacher. Bob

Thank-you for allowing us to follow along with your journey. Definitely a learning experience. Thanks again for being a patient teacher. Bob

Teacher? Ha! You give me way too much credit. I'm just doin what "I" know to do with some much appreciated input from @yellow rose and everyone else.

Aight den. We just got back from town. ZERO detonation there. ZERO detonation luggin hell out of it around town. ZERO detonation on the way back. The temp now runs about 1/8 the way up on the gauge. I have to wonder if even the 180 thermostat was opening all the way. I know from the IR gun evidence the 195 was not opening at all. @yellow rose, here's you a plug picture. Sorry for the crappy focus. I'm not really good at readin um and I know you really should cut the shell off....but I ain't doin that to new plugs. lol Also the second picture is close to where the temp gauge is drivin it. It actually runs more to the left of where it is....about 1/8 the way off the cold line.
View attachment 1715732021

View attachment 1715732022

Hot damn that plug looks bitchin’. I’d love to see the fuel ring in the bottom but you’ve got it pretty tight!!!

JUST FRIGGING AWESOME

Just found this thread.
Jumped to the end and Im glad you worked it out.
I was going to throw my opinion in there. But I see it all got covered.
Happy Motoring.

Seems to my memory from the 70's, brain cells wasted, that the early \6 had Vacuum RETARD, not advance.
With the crappy 'Reverse' flow head and pisspoor quench the guys at Ma Mopar said you can not run these engines in Advanced timing.

I played this same game as RRR is doing way back in the 70's and gave up on advancing timing.

I also did a piston stop check on my last \6 build and the timing marks were off 7 degrees, advanced from true TDC. The dampener had been replaced some time in the past. I marked correct TDC and put a DC's timing tape on it.

I also suggest turning the carb 90 degrees so the two primary's are feeding evenly. The long front runner is getting a fat load and the rear long runner is lean. By having both primary's up front you exacerbated this miss match front to rear flow.

Every individual step I've taken so far has made a positive difference. To me, this is hot rodding 101. This is what it's all about. As far as I'm concerned, this is actually a good problem to have. Kinda like tire spin at the strip. You know there's power to be made. With 175 PSI cranking pressure there's a lot of potential for power there. I'm not afraid to try to tune for it and just coincidentally, tuning to get rid of detonation, in this case will help get to that power. I think it's fun. It's a challenge. That's the whole point of me creating this thread. So all of you could follow along and maybe we could all learn something together, whether through my success or failure. As far as I'm concerned, I'm already successful. I can drive the car, everyday and without ever having spark knock. It only does it now when I absolute crowd the hell out of it.....and I've not test driven it since I put the 160 thermostat in last night.

Here's a thought. If any of you don't like this thread and don't appreciate it for its contributions, how about just staying out of it?
I have a similar issue with my hot 360. It will spark knock/detonate only after its driven for a while and in hot summer weather. Currently have rn12yc would rn9yc be a better choice? Otherwise car runs nice and crisp! Car has 3.91's out back a 9.5" FTI 3400-3600 stall converter. 292/508 mopar cam and higher compression kb107 pistons. Also 340 x heads.

I have a similar issue with my hot 360. It will spark knock/detonate only after its driven for a while and in hot summer weather. Currently have rn12yc would rn9yc be a better choice? Otherwise car runs nice and crisp! Car has 3.91's out back a 9.5" FTI 3400-3600 stall converter. 292/508 mopar cam and higher compression kb107 pistons. Also 340 x heads.

Maybe. Give me some more details. Cam specs, cranking compression number if you have it. Where is initial timing and total timing and when (RPM) does it get total timing? What intake manifold? If it's a dual plane, did you block the heat cross over?

In short, anything you can do to make the cooling system more efficient and to cool the intake charge will help a lot. Each individual step I took with mine helped. If I had to point to one step that helped the most, it was the thermostat.

Seems to my memory from the 70's, brain cells wasted, that the early \6 had Vacuum RETARD, not advance.
With the crappy 'Reverse' flow head and pisspoor quench the guys at Ma Mopar said you can not run these engines in Advanced timing.

I played this same game as RRR is doing way back in the 70's and gave up on advancing timing.

I also did a piston stop check on my last \6 build and the timing marks were off 7 degrees, advanced from true TDC. The dampener had been replaced some time in the past. I marked correct TDC and put a DC's timing tape on it.

I also suggest turning the carb 90 degrees so the two primary's are feeding evenly. The long front runner is getting a fat load and the rear long runner is lean. By having both primary's up front you exacerbated this miss match front to rear flow.

I've never known them to retard timing with vacuum.

Be that as it may, you're right about the early chamber. They sucked. That could be some of the why. Although, with 175 PSI I kinda think that was most of it. But surely, a more efficient chamber would help. And no slant six ever had any form of quench. There was what they called a "revised" chamber in 68 I think it was, but there was no quench involved. Not with the stock piston at least .150" in the hole. lol Ain't happenin.

-
Back