Tunnel ram or no tunnel ram...

-
Do it! I am running a 440 with Weiand Hi Ram and twin inline 660 Holleys with 1:1 linkage. I tried several setups and this is by far the best for me, my car and combo. I run 100% on the street and have driven to Mopars in the Park and back 2 times now - this year cool and raining, last year 105°. Got 13mpg even.

Resized952022060795193620.jpg

Resized952022061195110031.jpg

I have front to rear mounted 4150s but it a Weiand TR. Nice cheap linkage. How the floats work is also an issue. The sideways carbs require some $200 linkage. It is certainly easier to jet with sideways bowls. I think the hole in the hood would be bigger. So this is a hot street car that runs 9s at the track?
My linkage was $99 on eBay. Had to modify it a bit and make a bracket. Yes my dart is a street car 100%

Hi

I have a nice running 470ci in my car now with 1050 Dominator on Indy single plane intake. This is 11.3:1 setup with decent size solid roller cam and ported Indy SR heads. I cant complain about the combo as is now, I also played with some deeper intake mods to get better fuel distribution on that intake and it payed off nice.
Thing is that Indy tunnel ram intake got into my head like a year ago and I keep wanting to get it more and more.
What do I gain by going this route? Frankly when I think about it, the only downside seems to be stuff sticking out of the hood and lots of money on the table. The rest seems no brainer, but is it rally the case?
I imagine drivability with two smaller carbs is better, more fuel sources for better fuel distribution, cooler charge, more direct fuel delivery. I wanted to get 2x 650 or 750 cfm carbs. Was looking at FST no choke manual secondary carbs at 1st but also started looking around for some nice custom carbs.
Does anyone here have this intake and can share some feedback about it?
Anything I should worry about besides hole in my budget?

View attachment 1715974785

View attachment 1715974786
@71GSSDemon is another great source for TR feedback I don’t run a TR, yet…….

Do it! I am running a 440 with Weiand Hi Ram and twin inline 660 Holleys with 1:1 linkage. I tried several setups and this is by far the best for me, my car and combo. I run 100% on the street and have driven to Mopars in the Park and back 2 times now - this year cool and raining, last year 105°. Got 13mpg even.

View attachment 1715974844

View attachment 1715974845
Apologies Eric I pimped you out already! I didn’t make it to second page yet! Hah! Hope knee is healing.

Turn them sideways and buy angle cut floats. Way better than in-line.

Other than linkage and the fact some will not fit inline, what is the advantage to sideways? At launch?

Other than linkage and the fact some will not fit inline, what is the advantage to sideways? At launch?

Yes. When the carbs are in-line and you are using center hung float bowls the fuel slosh will shut the needle and seats off.

If you mount them in-line and use those shitty small bowls like the 4224 (660 center squirter) or the 1850 (universal fit 600 vacuum secondary carb that universally fit nothing) you give up too much fuel volume.

Plus the fuel moves around enough in the small bowls to shut off the needle and seats.

The only issue with sideways carbs is the linkage and it’s really very simple.

Yes. When the carbs are in-line and you are using center hung float bowls the fuel slosh will shut the needle and seats off.

If you mount them in-line and use those shitty small bowls like the 4224 (660 center squirter) or the 1850 (universal fit 600 vacuum secondary carb that universally fit nothing) you give up too much fuel volume.

Plus the fuel moves around enough in the small bowls to shut off the needle and seats.

The only issue with sideways carbs is the linkage and it’s really very simple.

I guess I need a faster car to have those issues with my 660's..:lol: I can dream of going faster, some day.

I guess I need a faster car to have those issues with my 660's..:lol: I can dream of going faster, some day.

I should have posted a warning that dudes would stop in and say how great in-line carbs are.

You can make them work. I won’t do it. Do what you want.

I should have posted a warning that dudes would stop in and say how great in-line carbs are.

Im starting from scratch with this so I’d rather ask stupid questions to avoid stupid purchases…

I have front to rear mounted 4150s but it a Weiand TR. Nice cheap linkage. How the floats work is also an issue. The sideways carbs require some $200 linkage. It is certainly easier to jet with sideways bowls. I think the hole in the hood would be bigger. So this is a hot street car that runs 9s at the track?
Yes but I stopped with nitrous though after I started going sideways at 120mph one time. I was lucky to save it but it was way too close. You don’t t really know what’s on the surface when you hit it on unknown part of the back road.
I will come back to nitrous but track only.

Sorry for any offense, I was picking on myself and my car as I haven't had those issues. I had a genuine question as to why you felt sideways was better.

The "shitty " 1850 bowls don't have center hung floats. The side hung floats don't like being mounted sideways. There are bigger bowls on my QFT 450s. Not what I'd recommend for a 9 second car. But drivability is very good on my 440.

Holley’s mounted sideways is the deal.
Edelbrock ca be mounted in line are OK for general performance but not awesome for track use. They will do OK.

I don't see many people turning their carbs sideways on a single carb intake LOL.. For most people it's just a matter of the carbs physical size that dictates how it needs to be mounted.
They've been used successfully both ways for decades..
I'd tunnel ram everything if I could!!!

I don't see many people turning their carbs sideways on a single carb intake LOL.. For most people it's just a matter of the carbs physical size that dictates how it needs to be mounted.
And a solid cam!

Actually, I’ve seen a single carb sideways. I have no clue what the benefit would be though. Unless you were leaving hard enough you couldn’t control the rear float. Turning it sideways would allow you to run wedge cut floats which MAY help with that. That’s only a wild assed guess.

And if you can't make up your mind, you can always have a bet each way !
chebby.jpeg

-
Back