Tunnel ram Tuesday!!!...

-
how about this.
20231107_180351.jpg

So, at what HP level do you need to switch to MW ports? Mine is a street car and have always heard it would kill all the bottom end. But then they also said I can't run a tunnel ram, 660s and a spool. Works perfectly to be honest. Changed the spool for a SG but not because it needed it, just swapped center chunks for better ratio.
This is also a good thing to remember, what the original max wedge engines were sized at for cubes and it wasn't much considering guys are getting those cubes out of small blocks today.
I have never ridden in a original max wedge car so I can't speak to drivability but I can say they worked.

This is also a good thing to remember, what the original max wedge engines were sized at for cubes and it wasn't much considering guys are getting those cubes out of small blocks today.
I have never ridden in a original max wedge car so I can't speak to drivability but I can say they worked.
I am not in the budget for any of the fancy stuff right now, but am learning as much as I can from those that have or are doing it. Thank you for the insight.

I am not in the budget for any of the fancy stuff right now, but am learning as much as I can from those that have or are doing it. Thank you for the insight.
I have hardly any budget myself.
That's why I welded this thing myself and put in the time to make something instead of buying it.

Does an engine know or care whether or not the air/fuel is flowing vertical or horizontal, or absolutely straight until the cylinder head?
Although none of these examples are completely straight from carbs to heads.

Does an engine know or care whether or not the air/fuel is flowing vertical or horizontal, or absolutely straight until the cylinder head?
Although none of these examples are completely straight from carbs to heads.
The engine knows because the straighter the line from the carb to the valve the better. None are perfect, but a individual runner intake (Hilborn, Weber, etc), and the true tunnel ram are very colse. Think of a crossram and standard dual plane intake. The runners are nice and long, but the fuel and air need to make an immediate turn. Air isn't happy doing this, and fuel is even less happy. It tends to cling to the walls of the ports. There also is issues with fuel puddling below the carbs. The engine is just an air pump. Easier air in and easier air out, the better in most applications.

I'm referring to tunnel ram vs crossram, neither is entirely straight from the carb to head.
My 383 has the Weiand, which is one of the best iirc, and it's pretty much a straight shot, but I'm guessing there is some turbulence in there.
Iirc Uncle Tony did a nice video on tunnel rams and/or crossrams, I recall there is a pulse thing going on that they take advantage of, or something, it was quite interesting.

If there is anything to take away from Tunnel Ram Tuesday it's that whether it's a tunnel ram, crossram, homemade or bought, they are absolutely streetable and daily driver capable.

20230528_174810.jpg

Look up “reflected wave tuning”, “ram tuning”. The things that go on inside a runner on an intake are incredible. And length is a key factor in tuning rpm range because of the reflective wave.

So, at what HP level do you need to switch to MW ports?
ASAP IMO
Mine is a street car and have always heard it would kill all the bottom end.
Perhaps if it’s a small displacement and/or the combination is really screwy!

But then they also said I can't run a tunnel ram, 660s and a spool.

But yet you do, excellent job with your thumb in their eye.
And - from a personal stand point, F-them!!!!
As soon as I hear that, “You can’t do that.” I’m probably going to try and do that! So many times “They” are wrong and so so wrong.

ASAP IMO

Perhaps if it’s a small displacement and/or the combination is really screwy!

But then they also said I can't run a tunnel ram, 660s and a spool.

But yet you do, excellent job with your thumb in their eye.
And - from a personal stand point, F-them!!!!
As soon as I hear that, “You can’t do that.” I’m probably going to try and do that! So many times “They” are wrong and so so wrong.
It seems most times, it comes down to someone who told someone who's neighbor kid tried it once and it was terrible. Spend the time and it all works out well. So, now about that SBC Hilborn that was cut and the adapters I made for it to fit on my 440. They say that wont work on the street either..hmmmmm

I have a Kinsler stack setup for my W2 small block I am going to be converting over to EFI. I have not heard of driveability problems with stack injection with EFI.

I was trying to work with guys here at work to come up with a computer controlled barrel valve so as to not go 100% efi, but bigger projects first.

Maybe even a Microsquirt could handle the single output for a servo controlled barrel valve? Then just a baro, TPS, etc would be needed and hidden? hmmmm

Last edited:
I was trying to work with guys here at work to come up with a computer controlled barrel valve so as to not go 100% efi, but bigger projects first.

Maybe even a Microsquirt could handle the single output for a servo controlled barrel valve? Then just a baro, TPS, etc would be needed and hidden? hmmmm
Seems to me the drive motor for an electronic LS throttle body could be adapted fairly easily for a barrel valve. And the control strategy has already been figured out by lots of aftermarket ecu manufacturers.

Seems to me the drive motor for an electronic LS throttle body could be adapted fairly easily for a barrel valve. And the control strategy has already been figured out by lots of aftermarket ecu manufacturers.
Like Holley Sniper or Terminator systems?

-
Back