Tunnel ram Tuesday!!!...

-
What? No dyno thread?
I have Dyno numbers posted on my all purpose thread.
70 dart 470 drag car build...I think it's called.
Probably on the last 2 or 3 pages

Just keeping the thread alive...

Score.jpg

I see a welding opportunity there
The "sight hole"?? if so, I thought so too, but it was convenient to pass stuff through there. I ended up needing to lower the overall height about 2" so I used the shorter one. Then it fits under my Mopar Pro Stock style scoop.

I think I swore at the end of that because I wasn't sure if a connecting rod was going to come out and hit me in the face lol

The "sight hole"?? if so, I thought so too, but it was convenient to pass stuff through there. I ended up needing to lower the overall height about 2" so I used the shorter one. Then it fits under my Mopar Pro Stock style scoop.
No, the runners.
I need to find another base to weld up even further than I did on mine for max wedge ports

No, the runners.
I need to find another base to weld up even further than I did on mine for max wedge ports
ah gotcha. weld it up and hog it out to match? how far up the runner do you go to start making the transition? Seems like keeping a smaller port then opening up to a larger runner would help keep air speeds up.

ah gotcha. weld it up and hog it out to match? how far up the runner do you go to start making the transition? Seems like keeping a smaller port then opening up to a larger runner would help keep air speeds up.
It's tapered a little from the top to bottom Bigger engines make air move, I have annular boosters to help the mixture

IMG_20230817_161858315_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230902_113150438_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230903_133929914_HDR.jpg

It's tapered a little from the top to bottom Bigger engines make air move, I have annular boosters to help the mixture

View attachment 1716163426

View attachment 1716163431

View attachment 1716163433
So, at what HP level do you need to switch to MW ports? Mine is a street car and have always heard it would kill all the bottom end. But then they also said I can't run a tunnel ram, 660s and a spool. Works perfectly to be honest. Changed the spool for a SG but not because it needed it, just swapped center chunks for better ratio.

So, at what HP level do you need to switch to MW ports? Mine is a street car and have always heard it would kill all the bottom end. But then they also said I can't run a tunnel ram, 660s and a spool. Works perfectly to be honest. Changed the spool for a SG but not because it needed it, just swapped center chunks for better ratio.
I could run max wedge ports now.
It will raise peak torque and make more HP.
The ports I have now are from a Hughes valley pan, on my heads I blended that size in just before the short turn. It was about a .450 CSA gain and over .550 on the tunnel ram.
One thing us Mopar guys need to understand is our standard port big block heads are just about the same size as a camel hump sbc, so were way undersized.
Big block Chevy, 460 Ford, boss, Cleveland, modern LS6-7 heads all have big ports and run fine. The small cube engines just need the rpm to make them work well.
Chrysler max wedge port is just about the same as the head that comes in Chevy trucks now in 6.0 liters.
If I remember correctly I'm making 600 ft lbs at 3000 rpm, that's pretty street friendly in my book

I could run max wedge ports now.
It will raise peak torque and make more HP.
The ports I have now are from a Hughes valley pan, on my heads I blended that size in just before the short turn. It was about a .450 CSA gain and over .550 on the tunnel ram.
One thing us Mopar guys need to understand is our standard port big block heads are just about the same size as a camel hump sbc, so were way undersized.
Big block Chevy, 460 Ford, boss, Cleveland, modern LS6-7 heads all have big ports and run fine. The small cube engines just need the rpm to make them work well.
Chrysler max wedge port is just about the same as the head that comes in Chevy trucks now in 6.0 liters.
If I remember correctly I'm making 600 ft lbs at 3000 rpm, that's pretty street friendly in my book
Agreed, I see massive ports on engines here at work, but they are 3000+ cruise and WOT engines. I thought we benefit from the high velocity of the smaller port. I had a set of 452s at work and they laughed at them. Even our 2.1L 4cyl has almost double the ports and much larger valves.

I thought I read somewhere about Bob Glidden (maybe??) using large port intake runners with smaller port heads to increase velocity. Hmmmm

Agreed, I see massive ports on engines here at work, but they are 3000+ cruise and WOT engines. I thought we benefit from the high velocity of the smaller port. I had a set of 452s at work and they laughed at them. Even our 2.1L 4cyl has almost double the ports and much larger valves.

I thought I read somewhere about Bob Glidden (maybe??) using large port intake runners with smaller port heads to increase velocity. Hmmmm
The proper taper will keep velocity. Did you see the new Glidden video? Take a look at those ports there massive.

The proper taper will keep velocity. Did you see the new Glidden video? Take a look at those ports there massive.
So to understand you correctly, you have a modified max wedge style port in the tunnel ram, and tapers into a standard port in the head?

-
Back