Turbo 440 duster

-

blown71duster

Reaction score
I wanted to share a photo of my turbo project,71 plymouth duster.It is a S400 borg-warner turbo AR110-80mm. Turbo will support 1000 horesepower, should be good enough for a street car.

100_0510.jpg

145_4535.JPG

NICE WORK! Would you be interested in chronicling your build? I am interested in building a turbo small block.

NICE WORK! Would you be interested in chronicling your build? I am interested in building a turbo small block.

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't got to drive the car with the turbo yet. The engine was built for a supercharger , I sold the procharger to go turbo. The engine has ross blower pistons and a ultradyne custom solid camshaft, ported 906 heads. 727 auto, and building a dana 60 with 3.54 gears. Mini-tubbing car with drag radials.When I get the bugs worked out , I plan on taking it to a nearby chassis dyno. I got most of my info from turbomustang.com they have a mopar section. There is a guy on there running a small block in a cuda running 800+ hp to the wheels. Heres a couple of pics, I am running a custom header and stock tti on passenger side. 5 inch downpipe splitting to duel 3.5 exhaust with these dynomax muffs. Also cut 2 inch section from my milodon pan and then welded front sump section with a 3/4 drain tube for the turbo

100_0225.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0310-2.jpg

100_0509.jpg

144_4469.JPG

So how exactly do you turbo a carb'd motor? I've turbo'd several of my EFI cars, and I want to build a turbo small block, I just don't know how I'd go about getting it running correctly....

So how exactly do you turbo a carb'd motor? ....

I am using a carb from these guys . CSU. They build carbs for blow through applications. They change the carb completely for boost. I ordered a 750 cfm which is good up to 1100hp. The fuel system is critical, you have to use a boost referenced fuel regulater -return style. I am using aeromotive stuff.A1000 fuel pump with 10an supply and 8an return

http://www.csucarbs.com/

Very impressive. I'm a little confused about the plumbing, tho. Looks like most everything turbo-wise sits on the driver side and you mention using a stock TTI on the pass side. But I see alot of non-stock/non-TTI plumbing running on the pass side. Can you explain the flow a little more? Is the wastegate/turbine outlet routed under the front of the engine and back over to the pass side somehow?

like mullinax said, ..wow !!
sure would like to learn more, .. compression ratio, head cc's, valvetrain parts, lower end upgrades, etc.
thats some real neat work goin on there, keep us drooling with more pics/data.
aloha- pauly

Do you know of a place to get turbo manifolds/headers for a small block. I would love a nice 78mm turbo on a 360 in my Dart, but I can't find a turbo manifold for it. Also wouldn't your 440 run weird because only 1 bank is running the turbo and the other flows normally?

I had to make my header, I bought a flange from TTI, collector from magnum force racing and a box of mandrel tubing to make it.Made a fixture to use a press to make into rectangle shape to fit the header flange. I don't think anyone makes turbo headers for mopars big or smallblock.
The TTI header on the passenger side was kept because I want to run a low mount A/C kit to mount a compressor under my alt and I wanted to keep that space open. There is a 3 inch pipe from the TTI header into the custom header thats what that 3 inch pipe is coming into the top of the driver side header is. Then the exhaust exits from the turbo ( 5 inch ) across the front and then splits into 3.5 behind right side tire and exits with tailpipes at rear, tucked high , you can't see any tailpipes. ( a little sleeper effect). I fired the car up and those mufflers are very quiet.
Here's an older pic you can see the merge pipe coming into the custom header and the 5 inch downpipe better

100_0392-1.jpg

Yeah, now I can see how it goes. Suhweet. I'll bet it gets pretty toasty under the hood with all that exhaust plumbing packed in there, tho. :toothy10:

. I'll bet it gets pretty toasty under the hood with all that exhaust plumbing packed in there, tho. :toothy10:

I plan on having the underhood piping (hot side) ceramic coated and maybe some header wrap on the downpipe too .440's are good at making heat

Must be planning on running some fairly healthy boost to get her to 1000HP depending if your talking crank or wheel HP.

Water/Meth Injection? Race fuel Only? Compression?
Hopefully it cools well, that's some extreme heat that going to be hitting the radiator.

I'm running a Procharger...though on a smallblock.

Here's another question for ya: How come the intake comes off the turbo to the engine from the driver's side in the first picture, but goes in from the passenger side on the last picture?

Here's another question for ya: How come the intake comes off the turbo to the engine from the driver's side in the first picture, but goes in from the passenger side on the last picture?

The first pic is how I have the cold side running now, because I plan of running the water injection, was going to run an air/water cooler in older pic and changed my mind.

This turbo is capable of 1k HP , My goal is 7-800 rwhp , and I think it is possible but I went turbo because of it being a street car . The turbo engines like more highway friendly gears like 3.23-3.55. Need that load of that gear to make the turbo work right.And they like street friendly cams and can produce high HP and decent gas mileage on pump gas. Here is an example of a super steetable turbo mopar on pump gas

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=65312.0

Holy crap! 839 HP @ 5716 rpm and 871 ft/lbs of torque @ 4339 rpm! Dam! And that's on a chassis dyno too.

Very nice workmanship and be sure to keep us updated. I would think that you would be using a cam with the LCA in the 114 degree range, would I be correct? Also, is there any particular reason you are using a mechanical cam verses a hydraulic roller? It appears that all of your power would be in before a good hydraulic roller would float and you wouldn't have the maintenance issues.

Again, nice work! Oh yeah, did you TIG or MIG up your plumbing?

Those are some nice numbers on the challenger the stroker 500CI can definatly make the tq. Pretty healthy pump gas setup, he has the intercooler though to cool things down and be within the safe range on 9.2:1 compression.

Keep us updated on how things go when you get it to the dyno.

JR

LOOKS GREAT, WISH I HAD THE TIME OR THE FUNDS BUT BOTH ARE LACKING RIGHT NOW. I USED TO RUN TURBO'D MITSUBISHI'S AND LEARNED ALOT OVER THE YEARS. TURBO IS A WONDERFUL THING AND NOT AS EXSPENSIVE AS YOU THINK IF YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT YOU WANT THE CAR TO DO AND HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. PART SELECTION & PLANNING ARE KEY(EVEN MORE THAN ON A NA MOTOR). IS THE CAR INTERCOOLED? AS FAR AS YOU GUYS WANDERING ABOUT TURBOING SMALL BLOCKS THEY WOULD BE SIMPLE AND RELATIVLY CHEAP OF CORSE YOU WILL HAVE TO FAB YOUR ON MANIFOLDS. I HAVE A BUDDY WITH A CAMARO(SORRY, BUT HE'S COOL AS A FAN AND KNOWS HIS ****)THAT HAS A RATHER MILD SBC WITH A 60MM TURBO THAT RUNS 10.60S IN THE 1/4 ON DRAG RADIALS , YOU CAN BARELY HEAR THE CAR RUN AND HE DRIVES IT ALL OVER TOWN.... AND IT HAS THE SIMPLE MANIFOLD DESIGN I'VE EVER SEEN..I HONESTLY THINK IT COST HIM LESS THAN $150 TO MAKE THEM....NOT PRETTY BUT THEY WORK....I DONT MEAN TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD .....YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB AND I HOPE THE THING RUNS LIKE A BEAST....HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A BRAND OF MUFFLER CALLED AEROTURBINE? THEY ARE HIGH AS HELL BUT THEY DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE... ON MY MITSUBISHI AND OTHERS I KNOW WITH THEM HAVE HAD VERY NOTICABLE INCREASES IN SPOOL UP AND TOP END....ALSO HAVE TO THOUGHT OF RUNNING A INLINE FILTER IN THE TURBO FEED LINE ? HOPE THIS HELPS ... I WOULD BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU ALL THE TIPS AND TRICKS I KNOW BUT I HATE TYPING..PM ME IF I CAN HELP:hello2:

Oh Yeah One More Thing! Google Search " Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller" They Work Great!

The camshaft was a custom grind for when It was supercharged, I may have to ultimately have to change it. I lost my cam card for it but it is auround 620 lift.
I tacked everything together and had it tig welded because I didn't want the mig splatter inside the pipes.
Thanks for the info wontgetdusted I'll check that stuff out .
I had it running today setting the carb ,float levels , and timing , It sounds good I love the way the cam sounds , I just hope it works out, if not I would consider a hydraulic roller. The mufflers are 38 inches long and do a great job, very quiet at idle.

-
Back