turbo orientation

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Why cant a turbo face up? If you have the oil return facing down, whats the issue? My holset says +-10 degrees from horizontal mounting specs, just dont know why.

i think they assume people arent smart enough to clock the cartridge. just saves them some trouble.

I don't know about that. Usually "specs" of that nature have a very good reason. Might have to do with oil drainback, especially on shutdown.

Yeah, thats about the only thing i can think if too. Oil drain back on shutdon so it doent pool on the seals. Too bad, could have mounted one vertically for a nice fit. No worries.

Yeah..... about that vertical shaft orientation.... I'll bet that my old employer spent $300k on trying to make that work. We designed and had cast whole new bearing housings along with having a bunch of internal gubbins machined to try to make that work. It did finally work, but it would wipe out the thrust bearing if you sneezed and getting the oil out of the turbine side (@ the bottom) or at least keeping the oil level below the sealing rings, took a dedicated dry sump suction stage all by itself.

-
Back