Turn a small drill press into a Bore/ Hone. Bolt it to the top of your engine block & do your own machining .

-
how funny would it be if it wasn't "cheap as gasket" and "didn't torque the heads enough" but actually a hairline crack in the cylinder or something.

i'd laugh my *** off.
Hairline crack in the cylinder? Or something else? Elaborate. Anyone ever see a hairline crack in just one cylinder that can't be seen when it's magniflux , with the naked eye?

Hairline crack in the cylinder? Or something else? Elaborate. Anyone ever see a hairline crack in just one cylinder that can't be seen when it's magniflux , with the naked eye?
So, you're saying you paid to have the block Magnafluxed? l Sounds like an odd thing to do when you're convinced that it was a "cheap as gasket" that didn't get torqued correctly. More money wasted that could have been spent to do the job right. Or just more breath wasted on a subject that is totally inspired by overindulgence in a particular type of mushroom.

So, you're saying you paid to have the block Magnafluxed? l Sounds like an odd thing to do when you're convinced that it was a "cheap as gasket" that didn't get torqued correctly. More money wasted that could have been spent to do the job right. Or just more breath wasted on a subject that is totally inspired by overindulgence in a particular type of mushroom.
Thinking bout it,that 1 cylinder...but the heads /bolts came out off pretty easy..it might be a waste of timeand money...I don't think anyone, who is honest will say they ever saw a hairline crack in a cylinder...maybe if they were actual machinist, a rare occurrence might turn up, but not most of you guys on this website.

PS, the Chevy long block was "remanufactured" out of Mexico...also I noted the the front cam bearing was missaligned, oil had a hard time getting to the front main...slight gawl on that bearing but it didn't mess up the crank bearing surface....cam bearing is still good , but will need a drill put thru it to enlarge that oil hole....get things aligned.

You should have known most machine shops won't bore/hone just one cyl. They are in the business to make/ take your money. They want to door the whole block over again. All 8
Everybody who's in business, is in business to make money, the setup time to do just one don't pay very well in contrast. But every good shop would do one, they might charge a bit more per, like anything else.....if You would've needed a cylinder sleeved, would they sleeve all of them?? If so look for another shop, if "most", in Your area won't do it.

Everybody who's in business, is in business to make money, the setup time to do just one don't pay very well in contrast. But every good shop would do one, they might charge a bit more per, like anything else.....if You would've needed a cylinder sleeved, would they sleeve all of them?? If so look for another shop, if "most", in Your area won't do it.
My machine shop won't do just one cylinder, there would be some that will, but not within my traveling distance.

PS, the Chevy long block was "remanufactured" out of Mexico...also I noted the the front cam bearing was missaligned, oil had a hard time getting to the front main...slight gawl on that bearing but it didn't mess up the crank bearing surface....cam bearing is still good , but will need a drill put thru it to enlarge that oil hole....get things aligned.

dear gawd i should've caught it so much earlier.

some absolutely terrible cockamamie idea, the double replies, the stream of babbling nonsense, the upside down reasoning, run on sentences, poor spelling of punctuation, misuse of words and terminology, thinking you know better than a machinist, being a cheap *** and just the pure unadulterated absurdity of it all...

of course you're talking about some chebbie bullshit.

ease that mess on down road pal. we don't want nuthin' on nuthin' to do with that rubbish around these parts.

some absolutely terrible cockamamie idea, the double replies, the stream of babbling nonsense, the upside down reasoning, run on sentences, poor spelling of punctuation, misuse of words and terminology, thinking you know better than a machinist, being a cheap *** and just the pure unadulterated absurdity of it all...

ease that mess on down road pal. we don't want nuthin' on nuthin' to do with that rubbish around these parts.
Hope you get too heaven cause your perfect

This whole thread started out as a small block Mopar- now it's a Chevy?? Tomorrow it'll be a Studebaker.
Please join a Chevy forum, they'll think you're a god there.

There has to be enough used machine shop equipment around where OP culd just buy the right tools. The thing is they arent cheap even old used machine shop equipment.

we had a mechanic at the dealership that would "hone" the cylinders oversize. not sure how large, maybe .005"? they were tight, his break in procudure was to start the engine, let it run till it started slowing down. shut it off, cool down and THEN add coolant! glad it wasn't my car...don't remember it coming back though.

Wow, just F'ing wow. This tread can't be for real, Can it?
It keeps changing engine brands and other things getting done.
Rocky Horror picture show was more normal than this thread.
Let's do the time warp again.

Yeah, just another bored 12 year old with too much time on his hands, and unlimited data on the smartphone his mommy gave him. His time would be better spent staying awake in English class. You should see some of the other threads he started- just read his byline.

Just a comment on locating cracks, I've had good luck just putting the parts in a hot parts washer and cooking them until they clean up. Take them out and let them dry, anywhere there is a crack there is a rust trail.

Come to think of it my rear brake shoes need replacing, do ya think I could use baked Potatoe skins? With enough time and effort, I bet it would work.:lol:

Last edited:
-
Back