Turn a small drill press into a Bore/ Hone. Bolt it to the top of your engine block & do your own machining .

-
I'm guessing your oblivious to the fact the deck surface is neither flat, nor perpendicular to the crankshaft centerline.
But I bet it's a whole lot closer to true than the base and shaft of the drill press is...
1686015480352.png

Last edited:
I wonder if the Op is aware that that drill press is only designed to drill a 2-2 1/2 hole.

Don't forget to hone the cam bearings with a brake hone. And bush the lifter bores with Type L or M plumbing pipe.
That hack saw thing should cut it like butter.
Since you are on a cost saving kick.
.904 lifters are costly. Bush the lifter bores so you can use Brand X smaller ones.
I have way more speed secrets but don't want to give them all away.

I don't know why I bother checking on this thread.
When it all fails miserably, he'll just come on here and say how great it worked; provided he doesn't seriously maim or injure himself in the process.
A 5.2 Mag block? He'd have better results by not boring it at all with that contraption and just running stock bore pistons- the tolerances would still be tighter. Oh, well- another block on the scrap pile.

I don't know why I bother checking on this thread.
When it all fails miserably, he'll just come on here and say how great it worked; provided he doesn't seriously maim or injure himself in the process.
A 5.2 Mag block? He'd have better results by not boring it at all with that contraption and just running stock bore pistons- the tolerances would still be tighter. Oh, well- another block on the scrap pile.

It's like a train wreck or car crash, it's disturbing but you can't look away.

At least 5.2 blocks are plentiful and in low demand. If it was a 5.9 I'd be pissed.

All kidding a side you would be miles ahead (literally)
If you just dingle berry hone it with a drill.
Wash it well with hot water and soap 3 or 4 times and run the old Standard Bore Pistons
Put a re-ring kit in it.

Last edited:
Nice looking mag drill, what brand?

Nice looking mag drill, what brand?

All kidding a side you would be miles ahead (literally)
If you just dingle berry hone it with a drill.
Wash it well with hot water and soap 3 or 4 times and run the old Standard Bore Pistons
Put a re-ring kit in it.
I believe you ....but I already have the 4" 390 crank/ .030" over piston kit...been sitting awhile...money and all that, takes a bit of time.

Only mod is, I already bought 9:1 cr pistons/ standard size with rings...cheap enough..hope I will get more miles out of the old engine, this one going in a short bed , stepside 82 D150 p/u...gonna use the stock 4 bbl TheroQuad and intake...building it, pretty much for gas milege. Won't ever see the high side of 5500 rpm.

Your funny. Thumbs up
I give you credit for trying and maybe you could rig up a hone with that drill press but dont bore that block, you're going to ruin it. I thought that Mag drill looked familiar but I mistook it for another type.
When I looked up the brand, it took me to Amazon. Magnetic drill press's aren't cheap, depending on what you want you could spend well over two grand and thats not including hog bits
There are all different types for different applications. Ive used them many times in my trade
Probably close to 30 years ago I wanted a Mag drill bad, I was always borrowing a buddy's
I came across a very old B&D heavy duty drill, it was so big two guys could have held it while drilling
If a bit grabbed it could easily break a arm
The hard part was getting the magnet and set up for the drill and I found one finally for about 200 plus dollars which was a lot of money for me at the time
I adapter the drill to the press and to this day I still have it, I just used it on a job last week
I wanted a table saw, posted asking opinions and needed one asap.....I had credits on Amazon and saw one with a stand on Amazon and with the credits it was like a 130 dollars
It's a Vevor and while it does what I need it to do, this saw is a piece of ****.....so for all the years im doing this a 200 dollar mag drill, while it might get by for the occasional small job, im really skeptical it can drill or bore any good sized hole with any type of accuracy
A few weeks ago I thought of this thread while I was visiting the auto machine shop doing the machine work on my Willys jeep engine..... The guy had an older Van Norm boring mill.....Look at the size of the bar, how the machine is made
While I think a fly cutter will remove material with this mag drill, it wont be able to maintain the bore accuracy through the length of the cylinder
Other guys may knock you or write sarcastic stuff, im not going to do that
Just consider your investment against have a cylinder bored and honed the correct way
Either way best of luck

I give you credit for trying and maybe you could rig up a hone with that drill press but dont bore that block, you're going to ruin it. I thought that Mag drill looked familiar but I mistook it for another type.
When I looked up the brand, it took me to Amazon. Magnetic drill press's aren't cheap, depending on what you want you could spend well over two grand and thats not including hog bits
There are all different types for different applications. Ive used them many times in my trade
Probably close to 30 years ago I wanted a Mag drill bad, I was always borrowing a buddy's
I came across a very old B&D heavy duty drill, it was so big two guys could have held it while drilling
The hard part was getting the magnet and set up for the drill and I found one finally for about 200 plus dollars which was a lot of money for me at the time
I adapter the drill to the press and to this day I still have it, I just used it on a job last week
I wanted a table saw, posted asking opinions and needed one asap.....I had credits on Amazon and saw one with a stand on Amazon and with the credits it was like a 130 dollars
It's a Vevor and while it does what I need it to do, this saw is a piece of ****.....so for all the years im doing this a 200 dollar mag drill, while it might get by for the occasional small job, im really skeptical it can drill or bore any good sized hole with any type of accuracy
A few weeks ago I thought of this thread while I was visiting the auto machine shop doing the machine work on my Willys jeep engine..... The guy had an older Van Norm boring mill.....Look at the size of the bar, how the machine is made
While I think a fly cutter will remove material with this mag drill, it wont be able to maintain the bore accuracy through the length of the cylinder
Just consider your investment against have a cylinder bored and honed the correct way
Either way best of luck
I think the definition of "bore" should be, Hog it out anyway you can accurately without messing up the block...

Either way best of luck
Not familiar with the terminology ,FLY CUTTER, I am an idiot, I don't have the vocabulary.

-
Back