Turn a small drill press into a Bore/ Hone. Bolt it to the top of your engine block & do your own machining .

-
Yes it does, see what I did there? I removed "Jessearent" and left your quote.
I would think the staff can do what they need, but me , not knowing how to import a video yet, no. Anyway, it's not for me to know, that's toolmanmike job.

And he flat out lies, too. You know exactly what you did. It's right there for all to see.
Time to stop feeding the Troll. Don't answer his inane posts. Let him talk to himself. He's proven he's can't be trusted and isn't serious about learning anything.

Time to stop feeding the Troll. Don't answer his inane posts. Let him talk to himself. He's proven he's can't be trusted and isn't serious about learning anything.
Yeah, I know. I keep "Unwatch"ing this thread, but it's like a train wreck: morbid curiosity keeps making me want to take a look. :BangHead:

anirudh-3esjG-nlgyk-unsplash.jpg

A tool For my persona according to your understanding of my abilitys. Don't hit yourselves over the head. Or maybe you should go get you all on board.

We should start a thread about all the shade tree stuff we have done in the past but don't recommend. I've used a die grinder to knock down the pop up on the valve relief side of some 340 pistons and used a file to flatten it. We were about 300 miles from a machine shop and had to get the thing running and we needed a minimum of .028 p/h clearance. It was only .024
Thing is the engine wouldn't care if the top of the piston had little dips in it or not it wouldn't cause it to explode like using a drill press to bore and hone your engine, having all the cylinders leaning different directions. Or we can start a thread called 'it'll still run'.
When I was a kid and putting junk together sandpapering journals and cleaning off rust pocks and stuff with a file. Crank journals they can be out around a little bit and still continue on no problem only under some extreme usage would they show their ugly faces and fail. You can put a scratch in a cylinder wall can gouge that ****** .030 if you wanted to and as long as you deburr that scratch, the ring skates right over it and it's equivalent of a ring Gap and you would never know it's there...'talking about a scratch, not a circular trench' . Lapped in valves, worn guides...seals will help limp them along to a point even..though the vj will wear quicker...but out of round cylinders,they do not seal.. and when the Rings don't seal ..you can't squeeze anything and when there's no squeeze/compression... that's like an old man's failed heart.... cannot pump the blood to move the body... its done.

Proper Oiling,Ring seal, valve seal, airflow.
If any one of those is crippled or missing... it's over. Starting that way is like still birth.
My point exactly. Make him understand things like out of round cylinders.
Some guys have ideas that people like yourself who have experience know just wont work and the reasons why they wont work.
If this guy is smart he will listen and learn, if not well meaning members like yourself are wasting their time

A long time ago maybe mid 80's my wife tells me her cousins husband flashed himself so bad he was taken to the hospital. Luckily for him his eye site wasnt permanently damaged
I see the guy sometime later at a family get together and ask him how or what happened
Guy tells me he has his welding shield "up" strikes an arc then lowers the shield.......Im like no, you got it backwards, you got to lower your shield first. Now this guy is arguing with me that im wrong, I dont want to make a scene but I tell him, you know im a welder at the plant, dont you think I maybe know what im talking about?
Guy still didnt want to hear it so I just told him keep doing what your doing and you'll be using a seeing eye dog soon and I walked away
Some folks you just cant reach

Try to find a "small" drill press with over a 6-8" stroke, and with the side load capacity/tolerances to do boring... ****, most little Chinese presses have a hard enough time drilling a hole. Plus that means you're going to have to manually feed it at a somewhat consistent speed (with a dinky 6" handle) to get any kind of useable bore finish. Not to mention trying to "bolt it on" to the deck anywhere near the bore center...
What next, torch out a slab of 1/2" steel to use as a torque plate?
Just taking notes , ... interesting about the torque plate though, I will just install an engine block heater , heat it up, simulateing the correct expansion rate.

It's the grinding stones! Dressed with an angle grinder then finished by dragging them down the road until "flat". Same way the piston crowns were dressed.
You never slathered and old piston with valve lapping compound and bore/hone to quickly remove wall scratches with a drill? Where's all my thinkers out there?

My point exactly. Make him understand things like out of round cylinders.
Some guys have ideas that people like yourself who have experience know just wont work and the reasons why they wont work.
If this guy is smart he will listen and learn, if not well meaning members like yourself are wasting their time

A long time ago maybe mid 80's my wife tells me her cousins husband flashed himself so bad he was taken to the hospital. Luckily for him his eye site wasnt permanently damaged
I see the guy sometime later at a family get together and ask him how or what happened
Guy tells me he has his welding shield "up" strikes an arc then lowers the shield.......Im like no, you got it backwards, you got to lower your shield first. Now this guy is arguing with me that im wrong, I dont want to make a scene but I tell him, you know im a welder at the plant, dont you think I maybe know what im talking about?
Guy still didnt want to hear it so I just told him keep doing what your doing and you'll be using a seeing eye dog soon and I walked away
Some folks you just cant reach
You never slathered an old piston with valve lapping compound and use a drill to bring the cylinder back round? Get it it close to 0.010" over and finish it off with the LISLE 1600 honer? Come on.

You never slathered an old piston with valve lapping compound to get off the scratches , and bring the cylinder back round with a drill? Come on. Finish it off with the LISLE 1600 hone and you have a perfect .010" cylinder.

You never slathered an old piston with valve lapping compound to get off the scratches , and bring the cylinder back round with a drill? Come on. Finish it off with the LISLE 1600 hone and you have a perfect .010" cylinder.
No, I never did, but im not doubting a cylinder can be honed 10 over, however thats not what you are saying
You want to bore a cylinder with a home made boring bar fabricated out of a drill press
You were given many reasons why it wont work because if it did somebody would have done it already
Ive written you about a greatly talented machinist I knew who made a set up to bore a shaft bearing in the ship, ive told you about my experiences in the trucking industry and power house but in these instances machinery was designed for a specific purpose.
If you're an experienced machinist or engineer there is no doubt you could fabricate a boring bar but a boring head on a drill press? No I doubt that alone will accomplish your goals for the reason you were told
Im not looking for an argument here and I previously even objected to you being called names.
I would be interested to know how you plan to hold clearances and how you will address things like chatter of the cutting bit, what about defection in the drill press shaft
Best of luck

No, I never did, but im not doubting a cylinder can be honed 10 over, however thats not what you are saying
You want to bore a cylinder with a home made boring bar fabricated out of a drill press
You were given many reasons why it wont work because if it did somebody would have done it already
Ive written you about a greatly talented machinist I knew who made a set up to bore a shaft bearing in the ship, ive told you about my experiences in the trucking industry and power house but in these instances machinery was designed for a specific purpose.
If you're an experienced machinist or engineer there is no doubt you could fabricate a boring bar but a boring head on a drill press? No I doubt that alone will accomplish your goals for the reason you were told
Im not looking for an argument here and I previously even objected to you being called names.
I would be interested to know how you plan to hold clearances and how you will address things like chatter of the cutting bit, what about defection in the drill press shaft
Best of luck
THe OP needs to learn that you don't use a drill press as a replacement for a boring bar or a Bridgeport mill. You don't use a belt sander to mill heads and deck blocks and you don't use a bench grinder to grind valves. Those are all machining operations and shoulld be done with specifically designed tools for accuracy and consistency.

Maybe it should also be included that qualified personel that know how to use the equipment properly should be the ones using it.

Best of luck
Ok, your in. I will keep you updated on the progress/failures..should make for some entertaining observations. Will try an get a reaction on video of me asking a professional Machinist to bore my block with my contraption.

All I have to say is WOW!
Here's the way I look at it. Were out at sea and a engine fails and we have to make a repair as our lives depend on it, so you'd have better know what it takes and how to do it with whats available
Now thats not a justification for boring a engine cylinder with a drill press
I do not think the OP and I could be wrong as this is just a observation understands the principles of basic engine rebuilding, especially in regards to longevity and reliability of a engine
For example, in some of our ships there was no shore power hookup while the ship was out of service and so the generator ran 24 seven months on end
They have two generators per ship, the one im talking about is powered by a big V8 Cat. They have a few spares always ready for installation and ive watched them rebuild the old ones
The machinist's leave no stone unturned when they rebuild theses engines, everything is done correctly as you dont want a failure when you are transporting 6,000 people across the harbor
Same thing with a automobile engine or any IC engine
So can you jury rig some kind of boring bar? If you have the machine shop skills and engine knowledge im sure it can be done but the question is why and is it practical or cost effective and the answer too that id say would be No

-
Back