turning brake drums, surface flywheel-amazed!

-
I'm from Dallas and there are plenty of places that will do work like that, Houston too.
I think your frustration is based less in the machining capabilities of the great state of Texas, and more in your lack of networking and research abilities, compounded by being accustomed to the convenience of your previous residence.
Rant riposte over!!

True! I picked up a 71 duster when I first moved here 2 yrs ago. Yes we are 1 1/2 from actual city of Houston. We spnt half a day going everywhere that sold steel. Finally fond a shop that sold welding supplies, and steel. I get them to order a sheet of 18 ga. I go back next week and they have 16 ga and tell me they could not get 18 ga.!! There are more welders, and companies that deal in welding, supplies, steel right here than bout anywhere in thee USA. Back in Mo going to a steel shop and getting what I wanted that day was no problem. ha..... I admit IF I drove into Houston and all of its traffic, and spent all day, I could find whatever! Assuming I wasn't killed while there! ha again!

Thing is when you live further from a big city, the local businsses do what it takes to run their business and support the needs of the population. If you live 1 1/2 hr out of a BIG city, (like here), where half the rural population drives that 1 111/2 hr to work in that city( because that is where their big check comes from) , it is a different world.

I had 3 shops that did custom exhaust with 15 mi of me back "there". Here I have fond them all, 1 25 mi away and the other 60. The pop. here is this county is at least equal to back home, and pop when the nearest shop, the pop there is 20 times back home. I just find this interesting.

I am sure as time goes on, I will find more businesses to provide services I was used to having. I didn't mean to ***** so hard, and imply that Tx is lacking in any manner!!!!!!!

Just need to network w like minded people to find the places that can help you out. I have a buddy who does all my metal building stuff since i work full time and dont have the time for this. He put up my shop for me, and did the metal roof on my house. I told him i needed 18 ga body sheetmetal next time he went to the steel place. He asked me what size. I told him a 4' square would last me a lifetime. I came home, it was laying up against my shop door waiting for me. He told me no charge.

A fabo friend and i went to the local glass place the other day as he needed a windshield for his 72 scamp 2 door hardtop project, and i needed 2 windshields because of both cudas each need one. I told him i got a friend who works at the glass place, lets see if we can get a deal on 3 windshields. And we did $100 per windshield plus sales tax. Been here almost half my life and eventually you find all the places, and network with people. But it takes time.

I get them to order a sheet of 18 ga. I go back next week and they have 16 ga and tell me they could not get 18 ga.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been in Texas for almost 5 years, and still cannot believe for how big Houston is, but yet I can never find what I need.

Their is an oreiilys in Atascocita that turns drums and rotors.

There is an exhaust shop in Crosby that does custom work. They did my Scamp exhaust, for a very reasonable price.FMG Exhaust

As for finding sheet steel, send me a PM with what you need, and I can probably get it for you, if you're willing to drive to Huffman to pick it up.

True! I picked up a 71 duster when I first moved here 2 yrs ago. Yes we are 1 1/2 from actual city of Houston. We spnt half a day going everywhere that sold steel. Finally fond a shop that sold welding supplies, and steel. I get them to order a sheet of 18 ga. I go back next week and they have 16 ga and tell me they could not get 18 ga.!! There are more welders, and companies that deal in welding, supplies, steel right here than bout anywhere in thee USA. Back in Mo going to a steel shop and getting what I wanted that day was no problem. ha..... I admit IF I drove into Houston and all of its traffic, and spent all day, I could find whatever! Assuming I wasn't killed while there! ha again!

Thing is when you live further from a big city, the local businsses do what it takes to run their business and support the needs of the population. If you live 1 1/2 hr out of a BIG city, (like here), where half the rural population drives that 1 111/2 hr to work in that city( because that is where their big check comes from) , it is a different world.

I had 3 shops that did custom exhaust with 15 mi of me back "there". Here I have fond them all, 1 25 mi away and the other 60. The pop. here is this county is at least equal to back home, and pop when the nearest shop, the pop there is 20 times back home. I just find this interesting.
I am sure as time goes on, I will find more businesses to provide services I was used to having. I didn't mean to ***** so hard, and imply that Tx is lacking in any manner!!!!!!!

Check with a local welding shop. They usually have all sorts of metal in stock. They may even have something in the scrap bin that fits your needs. You might get what you need for a little cash. Beer money talks.

I admit I hate Houston and its traffic. With all the hazel of bonded titles, ( I have spent a week trying to get any cop to inspect the car!) and everything else old car related, I might just say I have enough and cry Uncle. I have 3 cars mostly done, Need to sell one and have two! Two a plenty! Thanks for the offer 1975abody.
Any welding shop could order me a sheet if and when I need it again. The shop that ordered my last sheet, either they ordered the darn 16 ga or got sent that. I should have let them keep it. He tells me they could not get 18 ga!!! I doubt that!

Do you guys mean that there are no Midas, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.... tire and service stores near you ? They used to do brakes, I thought. Be more open minded in your searches. Parts stores barely sell parts let alone any services. Getting to be more economical to buy new parts than to try to save the old ones.

I have found that most of the disposable rotor replacements are warped to some degree by the time they are purchased. My last example was rotors for the son-in-laws car. He got a new set of rotors from Oreilly and the car shook like crazy after installation so he asked me to take a look. The rotors were obviously not true. We took them back and got a different brand. Installed those and they were warped too. Took them back and returned for credit. Discovered while we were there that the rotors are stored standing upright (or actually leaning) on the shelf. Went to Auto Zone and got their set. Installed to find they were warped. Returned those and went to NAPA. Told them about our luck with rotors and they said if they don't run true to let them know. They had a slight wobble when installed. When we called they said to take them to a local repair shop and they would be trued up on the NAPA account. The shop owner told us that almost all of the new rotors they buy need to be turned before they are installed...between poor quality control and handling/storage it has become a real issue.

A fabo friend and i went to the local glass place the other day as he needed a windshield for his 72 scamp 2 door hardtop project, and i needed 2 windshields because of both cudas each need one. I told him i got a friend who works at the glass place, lets see if we can get a deal on 3 windshields. And we did $100 per windshield plus sales tax.

Well that's not happening in small town MO where I live. In fact, the body shop I always take my dents & glass replacements to, and another glass shop, said they couldn't get one at all and it would be a special order with freight charges if they could :realcrazy: They sell online for around $220 but then there's $100 in shipping.

Well that's not happening in small town MO where I live. In fact, the body shop I always take my dents & glass replacements to, and another glass shop, said they couldn't get one at all and it would be a special order with freight charges if they could :realcrazy: They sell online for around $220 but then there's $100 in shipping.
Well maybe you can get a 1988 dodge daytona windshield then. My glass place cant get one of those and i need one for my 88 shelby. A DW955 is the number it calls for.

Hi guys , I understand it all , here in canada at the dealership I work at we got rid of the rotor equipment because laws implied we needed to get a respirator/nasa type suit and enclosure ... Bla bla bla , couldn t justify cost so we got rid of it , besides most rotors check in at about .5 to 1mm over min spec when new so put 10k on rotors with new generation pads(read abraisive)with no asbestos(another law)and you need to discard yer rotors!there is a coeficient of friction between rotor(metallurgy)and pad type(matrix being carbon , metal , ceramic)sometimes mixing brands to save money ends up requiring more pedal effort , in other cases the mismatch just overheats the rotors and then you get that shaking , just a few examples , trust your parts guys recommendations stick to name brands like raybestos or wagner , love ebc pads , tried hawk racing pads (notin special.)Check out stop tech website tech pages , very interesting info and mythbusting(especially about big brake kits and all those holes in the rotors)...To get back to the lathe I have an old one at home and when a flywheel is flat I can turn it too (some will say you need some crosshatch pattern , I ve turned them like a rotor for years and it always worked for me, up to 400hp anyway)...

I took the flywheel and drums to a small shop I found at edge of Livingston, 6-7000 pop maybe. A small 1 man shop in his backyard, guy is probably early 40's. He has an older guy (like me) that comes in to help, he said he would love to dig the machine out of the cobwebs for the drums. He turns 2-4 flywheels per day!

OK so I spent the last 40 yrs in Missouri, Getting any type of machine work was NO problem. Local O Reilly, NAPA, anywhere. Here in Texas finding anyone that does this is next to impossible. And NO I will not drive into Houston the hell hole of Texas to get such done! I know, I am a dineauuseaur ( OK so I do not have spell check!).. I know just buy NEW!!!!!!!! Right!
I am totally amazed at how this part of the country is so INADEQUATE! Everyone is paid royally, just trying to do simple things is a daily pain. Companies take off the entire week for opening gun season, back in Mo., any idiot could get his over the weekend!!! LOL
Rant over!!
I think it’s funny when people move to another part of the country. Then they say where I am from things were so much better there. I live in N Florida and Yankees move to the state and it was always better up north. I normally just ask them why did you move here. Believe me I grew up in South Florida. Moving up where I am was a culture shock. When deer season started the work center was deserted lol. I do feel your pain looking for a machine shop. Napa in town had a full machine shop. Napa moved out and sold to car quest. All equipment was sold or moved. The guys kept the brake lathe though. The great thing is guys that work there are car guys. Still have all old paper parts books. I shop there for all parts old and new cars. I think the EPA has caused machine shops a lot of grief. Plus young guys and gals don’t want to get their hands dirty

Only reason I moved to this part of Tx was my wife. So far, in 2 yrs here, I have found absolutely nothing I find good about the area, except some good Mopar/car guys. If I was still in the work force, the wages are way higher here than Mo. but cost of R/E and living is way lower there too. I hate the colder weather North, and the humidity/lack of wind here! ha
From 1997 to 2005 I lived 1 hr N of KC, and we also had a NAPA, it had a full machine shop in the back room. The owner started it 40 yrs ago. Sold auto parts, tractor parts, anything you needed. He had a truck that ran to KC 60mi away, 2-3 time a day for parts. SERVICE!!! and with a smile!
Yep the deer mentality!!!!!! People close the doors for a week!

I love it in Abilene. I have not found it really lacking for what i need parts, materials, and machinewise. Mopar cars are a bit hard to find, unless you know where to look. Theres a dude in San Angelo thats got a few dozen of em all solid projects. Good stuff too. Performance A and B body cars. Great place to be, although 110° - 113° summer high temps sucks, and this morning i woke up and it was only 21° outside brrrr.

96 Breeze needed rotors turned, $15 a piece. New ones were $16.....in stock. Oreilly. Put 'em on, no shudder. Got my '14 Caravan rotors turned. They make more noise now than they did but they are not pulsing.....? wife is asking WTH....F'n new cars. SC400 brakes stop on a dime, are original rotors with 180K on them and new OEM organic pads.

Only reason I moved to this part of Tx was my wife. So far, in 2 yrs here, I have found absolutely nothing I find good about the area, except some good Mopar/car guys. If I was still in the work force, the wages are way higher here than Mo. but cost of R/E and living is way lower there too. I hate the colder weather North, and the humidity/lack of wind here! ha
From 1997 to 2005 I lived 1 hr N of KC, and we also had a NAPA, it had a full machine shop in the back room. The owner started it 40 yrs ago. Sold auto parts, tractor parts, anything you needed. He had a truck that ran to KC 60mi away, 2-3 time a day for parts. SERVICE!!! and with a smile!
Yep the deer mentality!!!!!! People close the doors for a week!

Funny how people from Texas say you aren’t **** if you’re not from there. Been there a couple times and it didn’t do a thing for me. I do miss days when people running Parts stores actually knew about cars. You go in now and they start tapping on a keyboard. Classic cars (especially Mopars) throw them for a loop lol. Talking to my buddy about local car shows. There is more late model Mopars than classics. This generation doesn’t want to work on cars just want to buy them done

I have raised, trained, showed quarter horse all my life It was always funny when I went to Texas and whipped them at their own game. They did not take it well. Some had their own brand of cheating too! lol
The younger generation loves the modern muscle, and I understand. Lots of eye appeal, plenty more hp, handles and rides better, smells better! But I look under the hood and first thought is " where is the friggin carb"!!!! Then next thought is how would I even begin to take out the radiator!!??

I have raised, trained, showed quarter horse all my life It was always funny when I went to Texas and whipped them at their own game. They did not take it well. Some had their own brand of cheating too! lol
The younger generation loves the modern muscle, and I understand. Lots of eye appeal, plenty more hp, handles and rides better, smells better! But I look under the hood and first thought is " where is the friggin carb"!!!! Then next thought is how would I even begin to take out the radiator!!??
Yep new ones suck. Harder to work on.

Yep new ones suck. Harder to work on.
MY equation for FUN is take the cost of a New ish Challenger and divide it by the number of "fun" I get. Lets see??? A new Challenger divided by 100 is ??? ....and the price of my 71Duster I have a total of $3500 in restored to my "driver" classification multiplied by 5000 is ?????
OK so math as not my strong point, but..... lol

OK so I spent the last 40 yrs in Missouri, Getting any type of machine work was NO problem. Local O Reilly, NAPA, anywhere. Here in Texas finding anyone that does this is next to impossible. And NO I will not drive into Houston the hell hole of Texas to get such done! I know, I am a dineauuseaur ( OK so I do not have spell check!).. I know just buy NEW!!!!!!!! Right!
I am totally amazed at how this part of the country is so INADEQUATE! Everyone is paid royally, just trying to do simple things is a daily pain. Companies take off the entire week for opening gun season, back in Mo., any idiot could get his over the weekend!!! LOL
Rant over!!
In auto shop class when I was in high school, we learned how to REPAIR things; repair master and wheel cylinders, rebuild starters and alternators, etc. Now, it seems it's all remove and replace.

I still have a brake/Flywheel lathe sitting in the corner of the shop, last time it was used? About 5 years ago, to turn the 13” Flywheel for my Dodge Dumptruck.

There’s just no demand for turning rotors/drums or resurfacing flywheels anymore (at least in my area) so it gathers dust until I need to surface a Flywheel or clean up a drum for one of my oddball Mopars.

-
Back