tv trouble

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Wife and I were watching con air with Nickolas cage and the TV picture disappeared all of a sudden with a green flash of death. Is this the end of the TV? It's an older 8yr old tube style television by Sears. Do these things have a fuse in em that pops or is it done?

Hard to say. Eight years old, certainly not worth putting much effort into. It still have sound? or completely dead?

Some sets have an internal fuse, dig around in there at your own risk.

In this town, you can routinely buy decent, analog TV's from the thrift stores for 20-60 bucks.

or just go to the local walmart and come into 2011 and spend 300 bucks on a LCD flat screen ;)

dig around in there at your own risk.
this.

I had a broken TV sitting in my basement -it had fallen (about a foot) off a box it was sitting on, and quit working-I figured maybe a connector had dislodged or something. I decided to pop it apart and have a look (it had been sitting for about 10 years, give or take).

Something in there, when I touched it, nearly sent me across the room. Some of those capacitors can hold a charge for a long time :D

Don't even bother messing around with a CRT. As teetee said, they can zap you pretty good if you touch the wrong area.

The only good thing about that tv was it had a 27" screen. I drug our spare 17" up. It will do for now!

Thanks for the advise btw. I think I'll just get rid of it.

Wife and I were watching con air with Nickolas cage and the TV picture disappeared all of a sudden with a green flash of death.

We all should have been so lucky, that movie sucked :)

this.

I had a broken TV sitting in my basement -it had fallen (about a foot) off a box it was sitting on, and quit working-I figured maybe a connector had dislodged or something. I decided to pop it apart and have a look (it had been sitting for about 10 years, give or take).

Something in there, when I touched it, nearly sent me across the room. Some of those capacitors can hold a charge for a long time :D

Yeah, they dont call it a "fly-back transformer" for nothing, thats what it usually makes you do when you touch it. There is a way to discharge those, I thing you unplug it, and turn the power switch on mechanically, or hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. Supposed to discharge it, but be careful in there. There are a few fuses in there, usually ceramic style. Nice thing about CRT's is they last for 20 years EZ, no telling how long that Wally mart Vizio LCD will. We are already seeing plasmas go dark. I bought the last HD CRT Toshiba sold because its on 12 hours a day with 2 kids and a stay at home wife. It should outlast most newer tech TV's by 2 fold at least.

I agree with pishta, thats why any new TVs I buy the extended IN HOUSE warranty. Otherwise you have to pay for shipping for the repairs....yeah right shipping a TV?????

We all should have been so lucky, that movie sucked :)

LOL! Ya he's not very good and plus the "fake" texan accent makes it worse,IMHO.

The biggest problem I'll have replacing it is that EVERYTHING is made in China including the tv that broke. About the best I can do is find a no name tv with good name brand guts for less $$. That's what my inlaws did,and instead of paying over $1000 for a 40" they paid $400. I forget the brand they bought,but it had the same guts as an LG and was even made in the same factory.

What stores the dangerous energy in a CRT device is the CRT itself. It has a metal coating inside and out with the glass in between. The CRT acts as a big capacitor.

CRTs are much more dangerous if they happen to be charged when OUT of the equipment they were meant for. In normal installation, they will "bleed off."

I had a CRT OUT of a TV up in the rafters of our garage when I was a kid, and managed to get an uncomfortable tingle off that after it had been up there for weeks.

That's what the wire plugs into on the side of the CRT, known as the "second anode" and depending on the device, can be charged to many kilovolts. They ARE lethal. I'm talking seriously dead, lethal.

What stores the dangerous energy in a CRT device is the CRT itself. It has a metal coating inside and out with the glass in between. The CRT acts as a big capacitor.

CRTs are much more dangerous if they happen to be charged when OUT of the equipment they were meant for. In normal installation, they will "bleed off."

I had a CRT OUT of a TV up in the rafters of our garage when I was a kid, and managed to get an uncomfortable tingle off that after it had been up there for weeks.

That's what the wire plugs into on the side of the CRT, known as the "second anode" and depending on the device, can be charged to many kilovolts. They ARE lethal. I'm talking seriously dead, lethal.

This is 100% right on true. The CRT acts as a giant capacitor and it can kill. It's not uncommon for a CRT to store a charge of up to 50+ kilovolts. That's 50,000 volts at an appreciable amount of current. It's like a giant Leyden jar.

Samsung, Korea is making very good inroads on consumer electronics. Their TV's are assembled in Mexico. So if you live in Galveston, you only have to drive it over the border to get it fixed.

I know it sucks to have another expense but TV's are cheap nowadays so I suggest not messing with it either. The chances of finding a blown fuse that caused it is very slim. As 273Dart and Ram said they have enough voltage to kill you instantly (or turn you into a vegetable) if the 2nd anode is charged and you touch it. I use to work on TV's in the early to mid 80's when a person could make some money at it. Once saw a 200 lb. guy get thrown 5-6 feet and nearly through a door because he got his hand too close to the 2nd anode and it arc'd to him. His heart must have been strong cause it was pounding like a drum but didn't stop.

If you want to stick with the CRT style TVs, check out your local Craigslist. People are giving away CRT style TVs. I have a 32" Mitsu that has been going strong for 15 years now. It weighs 300 pounds and is the size of Rhode Island, but it works every time I turn it on. My 60" Sony has required two service calls in 5 years.

Thanks all! It's sitting outside right now. I managed to drag it that far,and I can't be bothered to take it apart. Im just gonna get rid of it. The sticker on the back revealed it to be a real power pig as well. 140 watt draw!

I plugged in our spare 17" tube style and it works just fine,but now Im missing most of our sattelite program info,like all the optional channels I pay for we still get but dont show in the guide? Weird. I must have done something wrong,but the little 17" doesnt have enough rca plugs to accomodate all the wires so I skipped one or two,just plugged in the basics. Everything else works,like the dvd and the wii.Perhaps because the sat unit is digital and we dont have a digital tv or hd cables is why?

-
Back