Twin Turbo 1971 Scamp Project

-
Tonight we got lucky and the transmission is in just about the ONLY place it could be without major tunnel surgery. The trans is bigger than it looks.
There is plenty of service room for trans lines, starter, and linkage which of course is on the WRONG side of the car!

trans%20fitting1%20%28Small%29.jpg

trans%20fitting2%20%28Small%29.jpg

When that protouring bug bites it bites hard. That thread you put a link to was sweet. enjoying the thread :happy1:

When that protouring bug bites it bites hard. That thread you put a link to was sweet. enjoying the thread :happy1:

It's hard to have Mark Stielow on your speed dial! I got kids so my builds have to be a bit tamer! I think Tim is even enjoying watching me obsess over each and every measurement 10 times!

More bay pictures. The engine should actually be quite serviceable from the standpoint of turbos, wastegates, starter, etc. Too much room at the firewall due to some of the chassis constraints. Can't wait to weigh the finished car and I'm afraid to see the final and corner weights frankly. If this thing weighs under 3,500 with big brakes, wheels and suspension I will feel lucky!

I think even Tim is still having fun! I certainly appreciate his efforts.

IMG_1832%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_1838%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_1839%20%28Small%29.jpg

I have kids too; I cant act like a fool on 2 wheels anymore but 4 i want to go as fast as i can. Nice to see you where able to use some Firm Feel parts. How did the powersteering mock up go or did you have to get rid of that? Thanks for the pics cant wait to see this Moyota done.

I have kids too; I cant act like a fool on 2 wheels anymore but 4 i want to go as fast as i can. Nice to see you where able to use some Firm Feel parts. How did the powersteering mock up go or did you have to get rid of that? Thanks for the pics cant wait to see this Moyota done.

i like your ''moyota" term! ive been calling it "morice" but i think i like your name better!

I think even Tim is still having fun! I certainly appreciate his efforts.

i am but dave is one hell of a slave driver!!! lol!

Tons of room for power steering as long as you delete the massive 2JZ Toyota oil cooler sandwich adapter and run a straight one from the block. In fact all of the underside, starter, (same basic location as slant 6), bellhousing, exhaust outlet, etc is a BREEZE to get to and you'd be hard pressed to really fit an engine with the potential to make 1,000 horsepower this easy into a chassis. Of course that isn't our current goal as we will be very happy for 2013 with 350-550 on a docile, automatic daily drivable car. With all of the systems we have to touch to take this from Scrapyard to street horsepower upgrades will just have to wait until we make it a CAR again! Those 1,000 hp Supras you hear about have expensive 6 speed manual transmissions, giant single turbochargers, and stand alone ECU's!

Now I will say this; any idler and pitman arm will be close to the Supra's mid/rear pan sump at lock and we had to go back in and raise the mounts about 3/8" last night rechecking driveline angles again so that's a bit more non value added work. A custom Stef's pan or Aussie Toyota Crown pan would solve all of this but we're trying to get this done without too many exotic bits and pieces.

Here's a few pics for reference:

starter%20and%20bellhouing%20edge%20%28Small%29.jpg

photo%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

underbody%20%28Small%29.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Most just give up on the powersteering or have to buy "more exotic bits and pieces "Glad to see you guys are having fun and trying to keep it simple as possible.

Lots of updates! We've been doing a daily Facebook page so if you feel inclined please like Scrapyard Six Scamp on FB.

Over the past couple of weeks we have built a core support for the Supra Radiator and stiffened the front frame horns in the process. Tons of parts showed up from Bergman Autocraft. Due to time constraints we just couldn't do the spring relocate as much as we wanted to it to allow larger tire options. As it stands we are going to try and slip 245/40/18's all the way around on the car.

I'd like to stress that to swap this engine you don't absolutely need to make it a cut and weld project. The thing is we wanted to upgrade some things and package things like a fuel tank without killing trunk space. This IS a car we plan to drive mind you! Tim likes to weld as it gets him in the mood to work on his 70' Dart project!

We've installed our 8 3/4, 3.91 489 case rear end and mocked up Bergman spec'd Dr. Diff Cobra brakes. Tim and I also got the Tanks Inc. 1960's Ford Mustang EFI fuel tank installed and that decision gave us room for our water to air heat exchanger between the axle and fuel tank. We also added crossmembers on each side of the tank and that should also help stiffen the frame. The crossmembers are light and only add about 10 pounds to the rear of the car.

BTW, I cannot stress enough to spend the time to find a clean basically rust free car like we did before undertaking a build like this. Anything else is just hard to work with.

Here are some pictures:

back%20brakes%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

mustang%20tank%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

hanging%20new%20springs%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

lower%20supports%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_1888%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

more%20welding%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

I think a billet 7675 would be a perfect....

Once we get it up and running and get all of the rough edges sanded down then we will look at standalone ECU's and big turbos! You Tube Culture Shock Camaro and you will see what a Kilo of HP drives like!

More work from the weekend. Tim took some R&R with his family so I worked alone. Took interior and HVAC out. Carpet and door panels in amazing shape. Test fit Hellwig sway bar and TTI 3" pass side tailpipe. Painted crossmembers. Car is starting to look better the more we touch it.

painted%20crossmembers%20%28Small%29.jpg

no%20heater%20%28Small%29.jpg

hellwig%20bar%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg

old%20carpet%20%28Small%29.jpg

door%20panels%20%28Small%29.jpg

hot rodding is about taking what you have and making it work for YOU, how boring would it be if we all had the same setup, go to a car show and look ! after about the first 50 cars you see all the SB Chevys look the same as well with most other brands, i usualy don't even lift my hood any more on my 57 chevy not that it does not look nice, it does, it's a nice show car that i drive the F out of .

now i can appreciate any work that is done with thought and is clean install, but the closed minded purest American hot rodders will talk **** about it, (me) i would not install a foreign Eng. in one of my rides, but then it's not my money doing this build , and from what i see the work is top notch , i was once going to put a 392 Hemi in my 57 chevy, and we put Chevys in fords all the time, hell i was even thinking about taking a SBC and putting it in a Dart, i like all brands, and i have for the most part have never given a second thought about what other people say about my builds.
(i once over heard someone talking **** about my car now not to contridict my self !! about not giving a second thought about what people say or think, but this guy was such a **** ! i just walked over to him and asked him if he had a car at the show he said yes in a tone that i have expected from him, and at this point he did not figure out that the car he was kicking on was mine, so anyway i just asked him to please go get his car and come park next to me, he looked puzzeled and asked why ? i said that i think it's only fair if you are going to continue to beat up on my car that you should afford me the same chance, well he did not !!

build what you want !
keep up the good job.

hot rodding is about taking what you have and making it work for YOU, how boring would it be if we all had the same setup, go to a car show and look ! after about the first 50 cars you see all the SB Chevys look the same as well with most other brands, i usualy don't even lift my hood any more on my 57 chevy not that it does not look nice, it does, it's a nice show car that i drive the F out of .

now i can appreciate any work that is done with thought and is clean install, but the closed minded purest American hot rodders will talk **** about it, (me) i would not install a foreign Eng. in one of my rides, but then it's not my money doing this build , and from what i see the work is top notch , i was once going to put a 392 Hemi in my 57 chevy, and we put Chevys in fords all the time, hell i was even thinking about taking a SBC and putting it in a Dart, i like all brands, and i have for the most part have never given a second thought about what other people say about my builds.
(i once over heard someone talking **** about my car now not to contridict my self !! about not giving a second thought about what people say or think, but this guy was such a **** ! i just walked over to him and asked him if he had a car at the show he said yes in a tone that i have expected from him, and at this point he did not figure out that the car he was kicking on was mine, so anyway i just asked him to please go get his car and come park next to me, he looked puzzeled and asked why ? i said that i think it's only fair if you are going to continue to beat up on my car that you should afford me the same chance, well he did not !!

build what you want !
keep up the good job.

Thanks for the words of inspiration. I'd like to think of swaps like this,

1) Build a car to meet a performance objective that YOU desire and use an engine that does it easily with aftermarket support.

2) It's your cash so use the power plant that YOU'd like to drive around on. My goal is high 12's on a STOCK tune and 11's with mods. At 180 CID or 3 liters this little guy will run well and still get 24-25 on the freeway. This engine was design with help from a German Auto company for homologation in a Japanese Race Series and enjoyed a long run in production cars both USDM, Australia and Japan. With 7 main bearings 300 HP per liter is possible on this little guy! Try that on a stock SBC block!

3) How many Fords/Mopars/AMCs/Datsun's/Volvos and BMWs have we all seen with SBC or NOW LS Chevy power? Too many! The last time I was on PowerTour and saw a Slant 6 T Bucket I thought I went to heaven! Reverse swaps like mine are no different just makes "purists" running their old iron with Chinese aftermarket parts pissed off is all.

4) I like A Bodys so much that I wanted to build a 3 season driver for myself that was FUN and would show the other guys that we, (Mopar Guys), weren't just a 340/440 or Slant 6 community.

5) I'm not the first or the last to swap a Supra engine into something.
I certainly wont be the last either!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fgPjgU9EzVeRj8mzdLbEA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWM

6) My build will help keep our cars cool just like so many more on these pages.

well i look forward to seeing this when it's on the road, like i said i love all the big 3 car builders, i am still debating about a SB Chevy in a Dart, Ford 9" i don't really care what people have to say i'm not asking them for cash or help, , dont like it kiss my by big 3 @--

SCRAPYARD UPDATES. Sorry for the post delays but here's what we've been up to.

1) Bergman/Firmfeel/RMS Suspension Install with Hotchkis Springs/Dr. Diff Cobra Mustang Brakes
2) Timmy Built Subframe Connectors
3) Center Bearing Driveshaft Crossmember
4) Intercooler Test Fit
5) Exhaust System fab and Installation
6) Z28 Seat Install
7) 1967 Mustang EFI tank installation.
8) 8 3/4 3.91 Rear End Install
9) Dave Fermani Body Detailing, (Just to inspire us!)

suspension.jpg

center%20bearing.jpg

scrappy%20side.jpg

scrappy%20front.jpg

exhaust.jpg

wheels.jpg

-
Back