**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
No problems..Took about 2 trys to get it rite....TCS one we work it over with about 700hp in a 3100lbs Door car.
Continental we worked it over with about 880hp in a 3400lbs Door car. Took about 4 trys to get rite..
But after that... Good to go...

So did it not perform as they thought? Is it common to go back with a converter for adjustments with higher HP applications? Any of yours running boost?

So did it not perform as they thought? Is it common to go back with a converter for adjustments with higher HP applications? Any of yours running boost?

Just like anything else ya do....If at first you dont get it rite....Go back to the drawing board...

Chris, what's up dogggg! Haven't heard a peep from you in awhile.

I'm Gunna go with what you know and give continental a call. I like that they are within driving distance of me also. Inglewood in the Hood!

Hey Louis, you old salty turbo dog! I dont post here much anymore. I do lurk and check out the threads I am subscribed to though. Sounds like Continental wasn't to enthused to build you a turbo converter. The guy who we used to deal with was named Chris. He worked there for years and was really good at getting you set up with minimal pain and suffering. I wonder what hapened to him. Anyways, Inglewood is in the hood alright, it used to be a well to do neighborhood in the 40s 50s 60s now its pretty bad. I used to work in that area as a firefighter and we had to always leave somone at the Engine so sh&t wouldn't get stolen or tagged!

Hey Louis, you old salty turbo dog! I dont post here much anymore. I do lurk and check out the threads I am subscribed to though. Sounds like Continental wasn't to enthused to build you a turbo converter. The guy who we used to deal with was named Chris. He worked there for years and was really good at getting you set up with minimal pain and suffering. I wonder what hapened to him. Anyways, Inglewood is in the hood alright, it used to be a well to do neighborhood in the 40s 50s 60s now its pretty bad. I used to work in that area as a firefighter and we had to always leave somone at the Engine so sh&t wouldn't get stolen or tagged!

I did end up getting a call back from Peter at Continental. He was very specific when he called me back and knew exactly how he was going to set it up. 10" Converter set up for over 1200HP at the Tires for $1050.00. I did call Lenny at Ultimate and he said WHY would you buy from me when you have one of the best converter shops on the West Coast within driving distance of you. I said are you talking about Continental? He said YES, they can handle your Converter Build easily. He also told me he is really good friends with Chris who still works there. Lenny talks to Chris he said at least once a week.

So Moral of the story is I will be ordering it from Continental!!

I hate to tell this Louis, but the cage might give away the whole sleeper look. LOL. Just kidding. Looks great.

I hate to tell this Louis, but the cage might give away the whole sleeper look. LOL. Just kidding. Looks great.

I hear you on that. Trying to visually hide as much of it as possible. We put a swing out bar on the main hoop so the back seat access is made easy. Gotta order a couple more kits for when we make up the door bars. My buddy is trying to get me to delete the arm rests, and I told him NO WAY, this is not a Chevy....... haaaaa , he is a Chevy guy big time. Makes it a fun day when he is around. He does have a fast NA big block that runs 8.50's in the 1/4.

..... My buddy Pete thought it would be funny to draw a Chevy Emblem on the car when I was not looking in the last picture here...... This is the stuff I have to put up with!!

Thats plain Wrong! Take his crayons away for a month!:D

Thats plain Wrong! Take his crayons away for a month!:D

I know he asked me earlier if he could write his measurements on the fenders and I said I don't care, its getting painted. Next thing you know he is trying to visually make a fool out of me....... I didn't even notice it, he had to tell me about it. I was laughing my butt off.:D

Looking Louis! I love how you can tuck the front bars behind the dash so easily on a Mopar. Try that in a chevy. Not. You should leave the Chevy emblem on it so everyone will think its slow.

Glad to hear Chris is still over at Continental, he is a master at the torque converter.

Well, I bought a Ford 9" Rear End today and I will be fitting it into the car. I will be selling the 8 3/4 Rear end that is under the car now. It is set up for a Triangulated 4 Link and shortened for a Mini Tub, Shortened axles New Green Bearings Big Bolt Pattern 5 on 4.5. It has a Brand New Nodular 489 Case, 391 Gears, Sure Grip and a Disc Brake conversion with the parking brake provision, new Cables etc.. Someone could bolt this under their car with a few mods and a Mini Tub of course. This will be in the for sale section in a few days as a package deal or possibly parted out.

Well, I bought a Ford 9" Rear End today and I will be fitting it into the car. I will be selling the 8 3/4 Rear end that is under the car now. It is set up for a Triangulated 4 Link and shortened for a Mini Tub, Shortened axles New Green Bearings Big Bolt Pattern 5 on 4.5. It has a Brand New Nodular 489 Case, 391 Gears, Sure Grip and a Disc Brake conversion with the parking brake provision, new Cables etc.. Someone could bolt this under their car with a few mods and a Mini Tub of course. This will be in the for sale section in a few days as a package deal or possibly parted out.

You should build a new car around that rear end! Haha. Your a mad man.

You should build a new car around that rear end! Haha. Your a mad man.

Now I am thinking about doing a Ladder Bar set up instead....... Yeah I am Mad!!:D

I remember you posting some pro's and con's on this a long while ago. Maybe I will play with the 4 Link that is already there and just weld on some new brackets to the 9" and run it. If for some reason I don't like it just switch it around later.

I dunno about the ladder bar setup. Kinda heavy and useless unless you fully float the axle (please do this ).

I dunno about the ladder bar setup. Kinda heavy and useless unless you fully float the axle (please do this ).

I researched the Ladder Bar set up and its not going to happen. Staying with the 4 Link. I may mount the shocks on the back of the axle tubes this time and forget about converting the stock gas tank over to a rear sump and put a 20 Gallon Fuel Cell in it instead.

Wondering on the cage, why did you not make the tubing meet at the same places? Like the bar that gies from the main hoop to the subframe connectors. The halo to the trunk bars, the forward strut bars to the dash bar ect. Seems to me on an impact your asking for the tubing to kink the bar in-between two opposing tubes. And the bend in the forward strut bar to the a pillar bar seems like a bad idea to me. It's a weak point in the tube and on a front impact could bend and sever a leg or impale you. I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to find the reasoning behind it. I have seen a bunch of cages with bars similar (not meeting up at a common joint) and could never figure out why. My cage has all joints supported by another tube to avoid a kink in a collision it may be overkill but is there such a thing when it's safety? I know your buddy has built others, and the cage is well constructed as far as fit up, and design, but it seems like there are too many kink points in it. Are you planning on a getting a cert? I assume not, because I don't know your removable seat belt bar would pass. Again I'm not trying to be negative just trying to understand the thought process for the decisions made.

Wondering on the cage, why did you not make the tubing meet at the same places? Like the bar that gies from the main hoop to the subframe connectors. The halo to the trunk bars, the forward strut bars to the dash bar ect. Seems to me on an impact your asking for the tubing to kink the bar in-between two opposing tubes. And the bend in the forward strut bar to the a pillar bar seems like a bad idea to me. It's a weak point in the tube and on a front impact could bend and sever a leg or impale you. I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to find the reasoning behind it. I have seen a bunch of cages with bars similar (not meeting up at a common joint) and could never figure out why. My cage has all joints supported by another tube to avoid a kink in a collision it may be overkill but is there such a thing when it's safety? I know your buddy has built others, and the cage is well constructed as far as fit up, and design, but it seems like there are too many kink points in it. Are you planning on a getting a cert? I assume not, because I don't know your removable seat belt bar would pass. Again I'm not trying to be negative just trying to understand the thought process for the decisions made.

The guy that helped me with the cage has been doing this for 20 Years.

If you have a better Idea on how to do the Forward Strut Bars with a car that sits 3" Lower than stock and will be converted over to Coil Overs and not rub the tires AND has absolutely NO ROOM Left in the engine compartment because of Twin Turbo's Under a Stock Hood & Body, please point out how to do it. I am all ears.

Do you see how tight the tube is on the forward strut bars to the inner fenders?? It will be stitch welded to the inner fenders and All Penetrations that go through the firewall will be plated and fully welded off. Sooooo There is absolutely no way for me to get SPEARED or my legs cut off by that tube.

Yes the Removable Bar behind the seat will pass inspection as long as there are Grade 8 Bolts in it when you Race.

Yes the cage will pass certification to 8.50

I don't know how many cages you have seen but Most are built just like mine is. There are many ways to skin a cat. Also you are looking at a half finished job.

Here is a link to some more cages... You should go ahead and let all of us know your expert opinion on all of them. I will be eagerly awaiting your response to this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=183096

Hey man, I could be mistaken, but you took my post way out of context. It was not an attack I am just asking questions trying to figure out the reason for doing it like you did. I don't have the rule book on front of me and have nit looked at it in 6-8 months. So I'm going off memory, but I thought the seat belt bar had to be permanently attached to the main hoop. Again going off memory so I could have been mistaken. If so I apologize.

Next on the front strut I was not worried about the part in the wheel well I was talking about the part next to your legs. I can see it as a weak point in the cage if the front corner were to take a hit, it's possible for it to kink on that bend, as there is nothing there to deflect the force elsewhere.

Next I have seen well over 3-400 cages. yes alot of them are built similar and do not have tubes lining up. Yes they pass tech. I'm not disagreeing there. And I'm sure it's for the ease of install, as it's much easier to do but the transfer of energy could kink the tube between the bars. Look at the 25.3 and 25.5 cages they are very stringent requirements. All tubes must meet another tube. Granted we are talking about much faster certifications, but I do agree with it. Look to SCORE and CORE racing where the cages take a much larger beating than a race car cage, they are the same way.

Now my personal experience with my own cage, I tacked it all in place and took it to have it looked at by an NHRA inspector, and was told "my job would be so much easier if all cages were built like this" referring to the adjoining tubes. I was told weld it up and it will pass cert for 8.50. That was comforting since it was my first NHRA cage. (not my first cage by a long shot but first that needed a cert)

I'll repete my previous statement I'm not bashing or being negative I'm just looking for the reasoning behind the decision. I'm guessing from your post that you took in the wrong way. As it's hard to show expression in text only. Another guess on my part, (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you did it the way you did because that's how it's always been done. And that's fine there is nothing wrong with that. I was just voicing my thoughts on what I feel is not the strongest points. I don't have a solution as I don't know all the details and am not there to toss arround ideas. Just trying to help.

-
Back