U joint to third member question 1971 Duster 340

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have done something wrong. A body driveshaft, correct u joint which pressed in like it should. I bought some MOOG straps for the third member side. It was a tight fit, but they sat it nice. The problem is the cups don't come out all the way on either side, so that seems incorrect to me as it is tough to gauge which is actually center...

I will take a pic when I get home.

Any thoughts?

I have no idea what the third member is from, it was the only sure grip one available locally

the clips are in, but the straps don't exactly fit nicely so center is not as true as it should be. By that I mean there is alot of play in the bolt holes of the straps with the supplied bolts

There are at least 3 u joints that could be used.
7260 is the small joint
7290 is the large joint
1330??? uses an outside snap ring

If you have the clips in I think you are fine. Have you test driven it yet? It will vibrate like a mo fo if something's not right...

By that I mean there is alot of play in the bolt holes of the straps with the supplied bolts

I think I get what your saying, once the cap is seated in the yoke the snap rings should center it and the cap fitting snugly into the yoke will not allow it to move once you tighten the strap bolts...........if that makes sense.

A pic would be handy of what you are seeing.

If you have the clips in I think you are fine. Have you test driven it yet? It will vibrate like a mo fo if something's not right...
...or just keep it on jackstands, but low, and start at idle & go up a little and thru the gears. Save time and possible problems if something comes apart on the road.

7260 is the one I bought and installed. Agreed the clips should provide true center, but those straps are made so poorly... Pic coming soon lol

If it can be moved AT ALL it is not right. SOMETHING is not "right" Bear in mind that thing turns at crank speed in high gear!!! If you are spinning the engine at 5K in high gear, that is what that shaft is turning!!

-
Back