Unappreciated rock bands...

-
Seen these cats live a couple times in Macon......

More classic southern rock. Nuthin like it.

Blackfoot was a cassette in rotation in my Dad's 1966 21 window van with a 1600 dual port
Engle cam and a Webber 2 bbl !
Those were the days !!!!

LA Guns always puts on a good show, dirty white boy. If you haven't seen them live, it's worth it. If I can find my old phone, I've got some great live front row videos of LA Guns performing.

Twisted Sister put on an epic (and somewhat vulgar) show when I saw them, sadly they're no longer touring.

Molly Hatchet.......Mr Darby, you will like this.

only got to meet Toy once, but he had the fastest thumb ever. That's how he picked lead. Never understood how he did it. RIP Toy Caldwell.

This was recorded right in downtown Macon at the Grand Opera House.

I know I mentioned Doro Pesch earlier, here's something long before her solo career. Back when she was a member of Warlock

Now I'm digging deeper into the music collection, if this continues I'm gonna have to dust off the vinyls and 8-tracks for forgotten material.

Axe

Voodoo X

My Late friend, Tim Brooks (RIP) and the Alien Sharecroppers. We were there when this was recorded. Eric Clapton hisself actually went on record to say that Tim was perhaps the best slide guitarist in the world.

I'm a huge fan of slide guitar so I had to take a look at this one. That guy is undoubtedly incredible. It's amazing to me the way he has the slide on his ring finger and he still uses his pinky to fret notes.

The video I posted of Jack White is a slide guitar medley. When Jack goes over to play the final solo lap steel-style with the guitar on Conan's desk, it almost looks like the slide is on his thumb at that point. Certainly not the virtuosity being displayed by your man Tim, but Jack's energy is incredible.

For those that don't want to search for my earlier post:
The White Stripes "Let's Build A Home" (Live on Late Night with Conan O'Brien) - Avant

A point of clarification at this point in the thread before it gets to 50 pages of formulaic, big haired bands from the 80s.
Is it possible to define "unappreciated"?
I would take that to mean that I believe someone had talent, but they did not get on radio rotation when that was the only viable format.
Hence the artists in question did not sell many records.
I mean, I went to Foghat concerts.
Foghat as "underrated"?
Well, maybe. IDK.
RIP Lonsome Dave.
They sold records I think based on all three songs that got airplay.
When I make a "best of Foghat" to listen to I do NOT put those three songs on it.

Rusty has mentioned Stillwater.
(Not the band Stillwater in the movie Almost Famous.)
My "go to" example for this is Captain Beyond and Capricorn Records in Macon.
I think Captain Beyond was the first "super group". (Iron Butterfly,et. al IIRC).

But because they were on Capricorn Records like other bands they were eclipsed by The Allman Brothers. (Meh)
It probably had a lot to do with marketing a promotion.
Captain Beyond was truly underrated and unappreciated. (The first two albums were the best. Most groups do have better and worse)

I don't want to get to long, I could go on with this point, but here is a caveat.
Some groups were big in England and not here. And vise versa.
Status Quo (Has anyone mentioned them?) was huge in England but other than Matchstick Men, no real hits here I think.

And Slade too. An original. Not Quiet Riot. And not Nazareth.

Sparks, was never anything here. But there these LA boys were selling records in England.
Guess what? Sparks was ahead of their time. I believe there is a Renascence of them now.

(Just damn. Sparks was in a movie. I didn't even know that)

Published on Nov 25, 2013
From the album 'Big Beat' (1976) Big Boy and its b-side, Fill-er-up, were performed for a cameo appearance in the 1976 disaster movie Rollercoaster, after KISS turned down the role.

And then we come a few years forward to the present state of affairs.
Speaking of "Lemmings".
I don't think I would be stretching it to say that most all here would dismiss Adele and Beyonce as overrated shower singers in a dance off contest. But why do they sell when real tallent goes wanting?

Shout out to New Jersey.
I've already posted one 1998is group for NJ that no one ever heard of.

Here's another with real talent.
I think they have some "management" now. But you will never see them on the Grammies.
Screaming Females - Ripe (Official Audio)

Last edited:
Have seen Dokken , Lynch Mob
So many times I lost count. !
Met George and Don many times.
There is a video on YouTube of me talking to George at a guitar clinic .
George is my favorite guitar player !!!

-
Back