Unappreciated rock bands...

-
Too funny Slade !!
The first record I ever had !!!
Goodbye to Jane !!!
Love that song !!

Martin Briley - Great artist - mostly studio for others - "sit around and drink a few more beers, until the memory disappears"

Gamma - Part of a circle of guys who were in several bands with Ronnie Montrose

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Mike Bloomfield is probably one of the most under rated guitarist of all time (not saying lightly) This band changed the style of blues music, 1st band with the raga style solos that became part of the late 60s onward. Very powerful. Oh, Elvin Bishop was the rhythm guitar and sometimes duel lead. And he is still going. Their first two albums are awesome, Bloomfield left after that to form Electric Flag. Which he followed up with the "super sessions" with Al Kooper and than went solo

Unappreciated bands and it took four pages before anyone mentioned Slade. (Thanks, adriver!)

This is the band so many hard rock and heavy metal bands from the sixties, seventies, and eighties tribute as being their inspiration into getting into music to begin with and hardly anyone in the US has heard of them.

Talk about being unappreciated.

I'm gonna go with a couple well known bands that I don't think they got enough credit...Alice in Chains...Layne was ahead of his time...and Stone Temple Pilots...Scott was a vocal genius when clean...I will also x2 on the dude that said Tesla and, throw in Brother Cane...

I'm gonna go with a couple well known bands that I don't think they got enough credit...Alice in Chains...Layne was ahead of his time...and Stone Temple Pilots...Scott was a vocal genius when clean...I will also x2 on the dude that
said Tesla and, throw in Brother Cane...

Both Layne and Scott had some serious pipes. I saw Velvet Revolver play in Toronto and it was excellent, like a 9 out of 10. The band was much better than when I saw them as G 'n R in 1991!! Even Slash wasn't very good back in '91; the ONLY bright spot was Izzy.

George still is good !!!
I was suppose to see him last week but the show was cancelled!

Yep, One of my favorite influences when I played. A friend and I use to jam Wicked on Guitar and Bass. We do it once and swap guitars, pretty funny.

Yes George is great !!
Always had killer tone !!
His vibrato and phrasing is spectacular !!

That's how I first heard Bogner amps . He played them ..
Now I've had 3 and still have 2 .

Here's some more 80's stuff that either never gathered massive attention, was eclipsed by bigger name hair/rock bands (like cinderella, gnr, etc) or has slowly been forgotten.

Savatage ended with the death of Criss Oliva (founded by him and his brother Jon).

Loudness is a Japanese Hair Metal Band that popped up when the Hair Metal scene was in full swing.

No savatage went on to do more stuff without Chris Olivia .
Alex Skolnik from testament did at least one lp with them .
I also believe Chris Cafferty who was with savatage along with Chris did more stuff with Savatage .
Many of them the musicians from savatage have. Even part of the transiberian orchestra .

No savatage went on to do more stuff without Chris Olivia .
Alex Skolnik from testament did at least one lp with them .
I also believe Chris Cafferty who was with savatage along with Chris did more stuff with Savatage .
Many of them the musicians from savatage have. Even part of the transiberian orchestra .

Most of the band did continue, but as TSO. Savatage didn't last after Criss was gone, and Jon stated that he didn't feel it was right to continue on with Savatage without his brother.

Regardless, it was a massive loss to the music world, as Criss was an amazing guitarist.

Totally agree with you.
My favorite band.
I can't figure out why they have been snubbed by the rock & roll hall of fame, forever.
Think i have seen them perform six times, in all these years.

(re: Moody Blues) Really? Most boring live show I ever saw - Long Beach Arena - maybe '81?

Some good bands so far - here are a few I thought of:

James Gang:

Arcade (Stephen Pearcy, post RATT):

Kix:

Sacred Reich:

EZO (seem to have merged with the other big Japanese Metal band, Loudness) - their earlier (and better) videos have disappeared from youtube:

One more I just thought of
Blue Cheer !!
I like their version of summertime blues !!! So heavy for its time !!

Lol
Did you not think that there would be mopar guys fanatical about music as well ?
I was rocking loudness in the 80's

Oh man! Arcade! I thought I was the only one who knew they existed. Likewise for Loudness

Most of the band did continue, but as TSO. Savatage didn't last after Criss was gone, and Jon stated that he didn't feel it was right to continue on with Savatage without his brother.

Regardless, it was a massive loss to the music world, as Criss was an amazing guitarist.
You are mistaken
I have four cds in front of me post Chris Olivia !
Handful of rain
Dead winter dead
The wake of Magellan
Poets and madmen
I also believe there is more?
I know Jon sang on at least one but not all .

One more thing when Chris died in 92 Jon was not the singer .
The last album when Chris was alive was called edge of thorns .
The singer is Zachery Stevens .

Hurricane. Little fun fact, the singer Kelly Hansen now sings for Foreigner. Sadly the audio/video is a little out of sync on this one.

You are mistaken
I have four cds in front of me post Chris Olivia !
Handful of rain
Dead winter dead
The wake of Magellan
Poets and madmen
I also believe there is more?
I know Jon sang on at least one but not all .

I should have clarified on that, it didn't last long beyond his passing. If memory serves me correctly, Dead Winter Dead was comprised of some earlier material, which resulted in the record company demanding a "Christmas Album" (mostly because of Christmas Eve Sarajevo, which Criss played lead on) Savatage wouldn't agree under their current name and it led to the birth of TSO while Savatage was still in full swing.

Didn't Jon also leave sometime around Dead Winter Dead to pursue his own solo deal as Jon Oliva's Pain?

I could be wrong on all this, so correct me if I am. I wasn't calling you out or anything man, seriously, if I'm wrong let me know.

-
Back