Uncle Tony's response to Direct Connection

-
Isn’t Tony a longtime FABO member too? Username Whitepunknitro possibly? I remember him posting here a lot and got along good with people and many people went to him for advise....now people just bash him....I think they are all jealous he’s made a name for himself on the interweb, wether he’s a hack or it’s all just for views....time to move on haters.
Yes, he's been a member here for along time. Lots of good advice and sold lots of good parts too.

If you broke down in the middle of no were with the rain falling , the temps dropping and your pregnant wife and two year old in the back seat and Uncle Tony stopped to help you, you'd be one luck SOB
In the early eighties I and a co worker were at the very first Millwright course given by our company
It was given in a shop of a old power plant built in the 1920's located on the shores of Hellgate in the South Bronx which back in the day was a very bad area
We had one guy in the class from another plant who was their wonder boy, smart cocky and a know it all.
We would get released late afternoon and seeing that it was winter time it was getting dark when we got out for the day
So one cold late afternoon, wonder boys car wouldn't start and we saw panic in his face
My co worker who always carried a small tool chest in his car as most of us did sprung into action
I determined in about a minute the car had no spark, meanwhile wonder boy stood there with his hands in his pockets......We saw the points were burnt so we fixed them with a screwdriver and a match book, luckily somebody was a smoker, filed the points with the striker and set them with the matchbook cover
Thats Uncle Tony. and BTW wonder Boy was a little less full of himself after that.

Wonder if the trash talk here would stop if he could defend himself?
Their biggest reason for "bashing" is "he's teaching the newbies all the wrong ways". Actually, all these threads cause newbies to go check him out. Then they subscribe to him. So, they defeat their own purpose with all the threads. UTG is getting almost a 1000 subs weekly these days. How many are "thanks to these threads" ???? LOL

I wonder if he would even bother with it. But it probably would stop for the most part, there are always them certain few who just can't help themselves and they would keep it going.

Wonder if the trash talk here would stop if he could defend himself?
Most definitely.

Really the only gripe I have is that his channel has become a "brand." It's great to see him succeeding, but the content that made me tune in and subscribe in the first place isn't there anymore. I can't knock a guy for evolving, but I miss the days when he would post videos outside in the heat, dripping sweat and cigarette ashes falling into the engine bay. It seems to me that he's become more of an entertainer than an educator.

Isn’t Tony a longtime FABO member too? Username Whitpunknitro possibly? I remember him posting here a lot and got along good with people and many people went to him for advise....now people just bash him....I think they are all jealous he’s made a name for himself on the interweb, wether he’s a hack or it’s all just for views....time to move on haters.
Why when someone calls it like it is they are a hater? made a name on YT? do you remember CB handles in the 70s? everybody had one ... :)
When he builds a car, an actual restored car not just some piece of junk with an UTG / STP sticker on it I "may" be impressed. Only thing hacks like him do is raise the price of 318s that used to be free...as far as defending himself, hes 60 with a bad back, the one livestrean he was talking about "fighting" with someone Id love to see it I may even pay to see it. there ya go UT, have a boxing match on your channel...:)

Their biggest reason for "bashing" is "he's teaching the newbies all the wrong ways". Actually, all these threads cause newbies to go check him out. Then they subscribe to him. So, they defeat their own purpose with all the threads. UTG is getting almost a 1000 subs weekly these days. How many are "thanks to these threads" ???? LOL
There's a certain naivete that goes with with youth, inexperience and ignorance.

That video with that young man dragging a board with a battery bungeed over it to finish a head surface, c'mon man...what are you in Pakistan and there is no electric or a machine shop GTFO . There's a reason 3rd world countries are third world countries...but there they are on You tube thinking they are geniuses when really they are a bunch of jaggoffs...they need to get an effing job and take the **** to a machine shop...to think that some moron watching that would actually attempt it.

That video with that young man dragging a board with a battery bungeed over it to finish a head surface, c'mon man...what are you in Pakistan and there is no electric or a machine shop GTFO . There's a reason 3rd world countries are third world countries...but there they are on You tube thinking they are geniuses when really they are a bunch of jaggoffs...they need to get an effing job and take the **** to a machine shop...to think that some moron watching that would actually attempt it.
Funny you say that, there is actually a channel from over there somewhere and the do stuff like that, those guys are pretty creative....but they actually get stuff repaired, its quite interesting. "Pakistani truck" I think its called

Funny you say that, there is actually a channel from over there somewhere and the do stuff like that, those guys are pretty creative....but they actually get stuff repaired, its quite interesting. "Pakistani truck" I think its called

Honestly a cast iron head , for years I'd "cookie wheel them" and bolt them up, never an issue.. cast iron is very forgiving. Now if you go aluminum head on cast block you have to pay attention to the machined / sealing surfaces. That board and battery method would work( as in the engine would seal) to clean the head, I don't know about truing it if it is warped but that is the illusion, how many here have actually seen warped cast iron heads?
Another thing that board method might do is identify low spots like guide coating body work, but a straight edge and feeler gauge would do the same...

Honestly a cast iron head , for years I'd "cookie wheel them" and bolt them up, never an issue.. y'all can say its wrong but I attest it works...cast iron is very forgiving. Now if you go aluminum head on cast block you have to pay attention to the machined / sealing surfaces. That board and batter method would work( as in the engine would seal) to clean the head, I dont know about truing it if it is warped but that is the illusion, how many here have actually seen warped cast iron heads?
I dunno what those guys are thinking, they should have got a 360 magnum that runs out of the yard, slapped a car pan and a china intake on it. It would allready be running, and all the hackery like honing the cylinders with a 3 leg hone .010 over, surfacing a head with a battery, and whatever other nonsense they do to it would have been unnecessary. It's like they are having to work HARDER to get worse results.

I dunno what those guys are thinking, they should have got a 360 magnum that runs out of the yard, slapped a car pan and a china intake on it. It would allready be running, and all the hackery like honing the cylinders with a 3 leg hone .010 over, surfacing a head with a battery, and whatever other nonsense they do to it would have been unnecessary. It's like they are having to work HARDER to get worse results.
maybe its Uncle Tony's "low buck" schtick, "look you don't need to buy tools" etc. I don't know many people who would work like that and, lets face it nothing is low buck these days. 20 years ago I could overhaul a 318 with $500 bucks ( and I think that included an Edelbrock intake so it was under 500 bucks). Not so much now . Now its a grand or more... if someone thinks a grand is low buck I can accept that, but keep in mind Im talking gaskets, rings, cam, oil pump, timing set etc. no machine work.

Naaaa... I watch this other guy occasionally, some "318willrun" guy, maybe you have heard about him.... but seriously, your content is good, unlike uncle phony
Uncle Tony is a " schtick" or an act to say hes any kind of expert is where his fans dont get it. Hes an acquired taste and like weve seen here if you arent into it his fans call you names. I mean hey not every one liked Van Halen with David lee Roth either...:)

318 WR I will say at least he ran his van down the track and showed the timeslip...

That is quality content. I don't think UT ever showed a timeslip on any of his runs.

Last edited:
He sort of seems like the automotive equivalent to the old "red green show"
You may be onto something here and that is ok if that is his channel theme to be like Red G.. In all reality it is his fans that claim he's an expert I don't think that ever came out of his mouth, if fact I've seen Tony disclaim many times he has said if you want a how to channel his isn't it...

And see this is the difference, 318willrun has the community at heart when he makes his content. He does not post daily, trying to just get a video out and drag it out like typical YouTube celebrities. If Tony made a decent video that got to the point with proper techniques then no prob. But the majority of his stuff is hack work plain and simple. And if that is how you "do it on a budget" then forget that. I'd rather save the money to take my stuff to the machine shop.
He should be making vids on how to slap something together to last you a week or two, because there is no way his stuff will last longer. I mean look at the slant six dart, no track time and he broke a crank?
As far as most of us wouldn't say it to his face, I sure would, but these people are celebrities and don't do meet ups with fans. There in the own world making money.
Either way we are entitled to are opinion just as you are, its not that we think he is a hack we see that he is with the stuff he does, I'm sure machinists would cringe at these skills.

Last edited:
318 WR probably has a day job I'm guessing . Making "good " videos is time consuming. Point is if you work , you may post 1 good video every once in a while. In a way UT has flooded the market in his own situation. He'd be better off once a week at best. I saw a prediction somewhere he may be done on YT by summer of '22 because it will bottom out for him money wise...

And see this is the difference, 318willrun has the community at heart when he makes his content. He does not post daily, trying to just get a video out and drag it out like typical YouTube celebrities. If Tony made a decent video that got to the point with proper techniques then no prob. But the majority of his stuff us hack work plain and simple. And if that is how you "do it on a budget" then forget that. I'd rather save the money to take my stuff to the machine shop.
He should be making vids on how to slap something together to last you a week or to, because there is no way his stuff will last longer. I mean look at the slant six dart, no track time and he broke a crank?
As far as most of us wouldn't say it to his face, I sure would, but these people are celebrities and don't do meet ups with fans. There in the own world making money.
Either way we are entitled to are opinion just as you are, its not that we think he is a hack we see that he is with the stuff he does, I'm sure machinists would cringe at these skills.
my channel is pure hobby. I only post when I feel like it, and I enjoy it when I do. UTG makes his living doing it, big difference. Also, UTG had an open house where everyone was invited and there was a cookout. You and I could have gone. He posts his shop address, and I think he sells merch from the shop. Crystal makes the shirts there too. If you ever get to Tennessee, feel free to stop in and tell him and the crew off :D :poke:LOL I mean, a guy minding his own business and opening up his shop to others free of charge is a guy that surely deserves a beat down LOL
:lol:kidd'n LOL

Last edited:
-
Back