Under coating help!!!!!!!!!!!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
ok, i just got done scrapping all the factory under coating off the entire underside of the car. i still have to go back and wire brush it all and prep it. what should i use for the under coating? i want it to be black and last. any and all ideas are welcome guys.

Untitled-1.jpg

You might want to check out lizard skin, pricey but from what I heard pretty good stuff. Most of undercoating on the market stays gooey and does not harden like factory.

You can use the same stuff that people apply to truck beds. However you could also get it really clean and apply por-15 and have it clear coated.

Oh if you still need to remove under coating, a high powered pressure takes it right off and leaves the factory paint on.

Oh if you still need to remove under coating, a high powered pressure takes it right off and leaves the factory paint on.

I got it all off for the most part with a chisel. was a royal pain in the ***. it flaked off in small chunks about the size of a dime.

i appreciate all the replies guys! i was thinking about painting it with a brush/roller and POR15. then going over it with the store bought spray bomb bed liner/under coat. i dont have a compressor or the guns to spray anything.

If you prep ot right, nothin wrong with regular rustoleum paint. Much less expensive than bed liner or undercoating and it will last. But you have to prep correctly.

Sheeot....I wanna see your pressure washer....either it's a badass or your undercoating SUCKED. I had to melt mine with a torch and scrape it off with a scraper. My 3K PSI pressure washer didn't touch it.

If you prep ot right, nothin wrong with regular rustoleum paint. Much less expensive than bed liner or undercoating and it will last. But you have to prep correctly.

what exactly would you suggest i do to prep it. so for the plan is to use engine degreaser and hand held wire brushes and scrub the piss out of it. then i will wheel it out into the drive way and wash it all down several times with dawn dish soap and water. then i was going to wipe it down really good with rubbing alcohol with white paper towels till it was spotless. then apply the por15 or rustoleum

what exactly would you suggest i do to prep it. so for the plan is to use engine degreaser and hand held wire brushes and scrub the piss out of it. then i will wheel it out into the drive way and wash it all down several times with dawn dish soap and water. then i was going to wipe it down really good with rubbing alcohol with white paper towels till it was spotless. then apply the por15 or rustoleum

Nothin special. Just standard paint prep. You just need to do a GOOD job.

Sheeot....I wanna see your pressure washer....either it's a badass or your undercoating SUCKED. I had to melt mine with a torch and scrape it off with a scraper. My 3K PSI pressure washer didn't touch it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=184405

I can't remember the psi on it off the top of my head but I'll post it when I get home. This all factory 42 year old undercoating. You do have to get pretty close with the tip to do it.

Unless you are going to be driving it in the snow and salt just paint it with some good paint.

Jim

Unless you are going to be driving it in the snow and salt just paint it with some good paint.

Jim

the car has DOT "cheater slicks" and no wipers or heater. she will be a fair whether car. i just want it to look nice and be protected. i kinda like the idea of the textured look the bed liner stuff would give me.

It's a 3100 psi max at 2.8 gpm max.

ok so i got one side all prepped and ready for paint. i am going to tape off the car and get it all ready to paint it on sunday.

SSPX0134.jpg

I used POR on my k frame and it covers very well and was brush on...but I had sandblasted it. Mine is still a work in progress, so it hasnt seen the road or had its durability tested. The young lad wants to do the frame in his truck, and he found this on the net http://www.magnetpaints.com/default.asp

Good luck!

Might be good to give it a coat of primer or paint first. If the undercoating chips or peels off, you would have another layer to protect the metal. I think I heard that some undercoatings can create more rust by trapping water if it peels or gets chipped. Just make sure they are all compatible.

My car had a combination of Lizard Skin & paint applied. The Lizard Skin was only applied to where rocks have the potential to kick up & leave dents from the bottom side, so the underside of the tops of he fenders were pretty much the only thing that got covered with it.

thanks for all the replies guys. you have all provide great advise. i ended up going with por15 on the base coat. i plan to then apply some of the rustoleum spray on truck bed liner. here is the por15 i got on tonight.

SSPX0135.jpg

i got the undercoating on this weekend. the driver side is all ready to go. now i just gotta bolt all the suspension back up and do the passenger side.

SSPX0136.jpg

SSPX0137.jpg

SSPX0140.jpg

SSPX0138.jpg

That looks great. You oughtta be proud.

thanks man! my eyes and head love it but my back and hands hate it! ha ha ha. this was a royal pain in the ***. but hey i have come this far, i might as well do it and do it right.

thanks again for all the feedback guys.

-
Back