Unexplainable Transmission Stutter... help?

-
You remember what cylinder the light coloured plug came out of?
i would pull the wire and see if there is a change.

Need to find someone with a scope.

Bend shifter linkage? Im thinking not, you would have noticed a change.

Not that I noticed, I crawled under the car and didnt see anything different about it. I'm going to go through it again tonight and make sure it is moving with the pedal depressed. Also I will check to make sure when moving the shifter on the column the trans column lever is moving to the correct position.

Oscilloscope. Will overlay each firing cylinder to aid in finding anomalies. Big words, i spelled em right the first time.

still doesent explain the noise and shifting issue.

Oscilloscope. Will overlay each firing cylinder to aid in finding anomalies. Big words, i spelled em right the first time.

still doesent explain the noise and shifting issue.

The noise is from the transmission. It's not making it now... I adjusted the linkage again, now the sucker just doesn't want to move without a lot of throttle and then it just barely moves

Do you have a FSM or any of the transmission books? A 4' high pressure hose adapted to 1/8" MPT and a 0-300 psi gauge with a 3" face? Torqueflite pressure tests are easy to do. Or maybe adjust the bands.

Do you have a FSM or any of the transmission books? A 4' high pressure hose adapted to 1/8" MPT and a 0-300 psi gauge with a 3" face? Torqueflite pressure tests are easy to do. Or maybe adjust the bands.

I have a FSM and read the automatic transmission portion last night, it doesn't help with diagnosing problems, only says what symptoms may mean. I am trying to understand what you just said though lol. My guage also doesn't go to 300...

20200417_183312.jpg

I have the pressure gauge for the transmission....somewhere....

You remember what cylinder the light coloured plug came out of?
i would pull the wire and see if there is a change.

I like to get the wire loose on the cap and then lift one at a time off off while it's running to see if it makes a difference.
I know some people disagree with pulling a firing plug wire off, but it sure tells you what you want to know right away.
What I heard was while the car was driving with a load on it.
Can't tell anything with that noisy little sucker sitting in park.:D

The noise is from the transmission. It's not making it now... I adjusted the linkage again, now the sucker just doesn't want to move without a lot of throttle and then it just barely moves

You know, just for kicks throw another quart in that trans and see what it does.

I like to get the wire loose on the cap and then lift one at a time off off while it's running to see if it makes a difference.
I know some people disagree with pulling a firing plug wire off, but it sure tells you what you want to know right away.
What I heard was while the car was driving with a load on it.
Can't tell anything with that noisy little sucker sitting in park.:D

You know, just for kicks throw another quart in that trans and see what it does.
I have chicken pliers. was leaning on a fender on a chevy 1/2 ton and pulled a plug wire.
remember it like yesterday.
30 years ago. Hei bites. Right through the zipper area.

I have chicken pliers. was leaning on a fender on a chevy 1/2 ton and pulled a plug wire.
remember it like yesterday.
30 years ago. Hei bites. Right through the zipper area.

The way I explain it is normal ignitions hurt up your wrist and HEI hurts all the way to your arm pit, and then sometimes all the way to the top of your head if you hit it on the hood trying to get away from it.
So what do we say it hurts up to in your case?:D
Belly button?
Nipples?

:rofl:

Like was mentioned; MORE FLUID. WTH, overfill it, "What difference does it make now?" Is this going to be one of those cars that end up with a FiTech system?

Like was mentioned; MORE FLUID. WTH, overfill it, "What difference does it make now?" Is this going to be one of those cars that end up with a FiTech system?

No Fitech for me. My carb works nicely.

Fitech system, no I like my carb.

I was under the impression that to much fluid was just as bad as to little fluid

No Fitech for me. My carb works nicely.

Fitech system, no I like my carb.

I was under the impression that to much fluid was just as bad as to little fluid

It's a diagnostic move.:D
If in case for some reason you are not getting a correct reading on your fluid and it's sucking air.
One quart of fluid could solve the problem, or tell you the trans needs to come out.

I'll tell ya though, reverse is usually the first to go if it's low fluid because reverse uses more fluid to apply than the other gears.
You said reverse is fine, so it leads me to believe the level is probably ok or close enough.

The extra quart is still worth a try, as you don't have much to loose at this point unless you just want to tear it apart for the fun of it.:D

It's a diagnostic move.:D
If in case for some reason you are not getting a correct reading on your fluid and it's sucking air.
One quart of fluid could solve the problem, or tell you the trans needs to come out.

I'll tell ya though, reverse is usually the first to go if it's low fluid because reverse uses more fluid to apply than the other gears.
You said reverse is fine, so it leads me to believe the level is probably ok or close enough.

The extra quart is still worth a try, as you don't have much to loose at this point unless you just want to tear it apart for the fun of it.:D

I dont want to tear it apart at all. My wife just yelled at me for the spending money on the car lol

I think we should drop the pan and check the filter....you can drain the fluid into a clean container to save it...i got a pile of filters and gaskets...

that way we ...i mean you dont spend any money...lol

I think we should drop the pan and check the filter....you can drain the fluid into a clean container to save it...i got a pile of filters and gaskets...

that way we ...i mean you dont spend any money...lol

I have like 2qts of fluid left. I'll get some more haha. I think draining it would probably be a good idea too. I have it jacked up right now currently. Didnt really do anything on it today. I was busy cleaning the garage

I still think your sniffing up the wrong tree. You said the trans was fine before the cam swap. Ok, what did you change and R & R. Intake manifold was removed, could be a sealing issue there. A lager (i assume) cam was installed, that can cause lower vacuum which can require retuning that AVS.
I wouldnt overfill the transmission. If its at the full mark hot idling in neutral its fine. Overfilling can cause the fluid to foam and it will cause more issues.
Are you running the same timing as before?
Its hard diagnosing a problem over the internet.

For the fluid to foam, the level has to be high enough to reach past the bottom of the spinning drums and sun gear shell. I think his intake gasket is loaded with vacuum leaks and his carb has dirt in it. Transmissions go out. With all the slipping going on, if it wasn't trashed before, then it is now. Probably from running low on fluid. I hear so often about how people are so afraid of overfilling their trans that they burn it up from running low; a lot more often than from overfilling.

I wouldnt overfill the transmission. If its at the full mark hot idling in neutral its fine.

Sure, if he has the right length dipstick.
Also at TF trans that is overfilled and foams the fluid will spit it out the vent.
I have spent a lot of time around transmissions and I don't recall ever having one go because of over filling.
Plenty from under filling and burning up from repeated attempts to make it move thinking it's full when it really isn't.

I suggested another quart based on this, as the extra quart won't hurt anything.
What if he adds that extra quart and it seems fine after?
Then we have to wonder if it got hurt trying to make it go anyway even though a little more fluid could have saved it, but no one bothered to do the simplest thing to find out.

we will check the step up springs on the carb...to make sure they are not jumping up and down...I have a FAST AF meter we were going to check to make sure it is idling clean....but been side tracked with the trans...

I am 99 % sure he has the right dipstick.....i know a 727 will not work...been there done that....

I drove the car....the trans shutters....and will not shift out of 1st gear.....

-
Back