Unknown relay

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I have a relay in my Mazda truck that has a unique form factor. It is rectangle, has 6 wells arranged in 2 rows of 3 but they are all parallel tabs. Like cars lined up to stage at the track. BOSCH has some but they are 5 pin in 6 wells and the top center skips =_=. Mine skips the last well on top so it's 2 and 3. Like this ==_. Anyone ever deal with this form factor relay? Mine works but it's missing its top cover and is corroded. May be able to just change the socket and run a Bosch square one. Pics to follow

Something like this but larger tabs

upload_2022-5-10_11-9-30.png

It's an 82 Mazda B2000. It operates the "3 way solenoid" on the firewall that actuates a throttle kicker that eases the throttle off after you let your foot off the gas. Very strange setup.

Can't you see how it works by looking? IE "the cover is missing" Most I've seen with the larger tabs are high current and have either larger contacts or the DP contacts paralleled for more current capacity.

You would need to remove the cover to find out for sure.
You could measure all the combinations of tabs to find the coil. If you get two sets of resistance readings, that would indicate two coils [ & two relays ] in one case. The remaining tabs will be contacts which could be NO, NC or changeover.

Ground tab, 2 coil tabs and 2 tabs that switch back and forth with a grounded wiper. One side goes to a pin. The other side is a blank well. By default the wiper spring defaults to pin side. Grounded.
Just not sure what style of relay this is. Or form factor ie: 1A?
20220510_210437.jpg
20220510_210351.jpg
20220510_210339.jpg

I think I found one...off a Mitsubishi Pajero with same pin pattern? Note the case cap has the mounting lug. Bingo! 12V 5 pin 056700-5431 part number.
s-l1600.jpg

If you care, I have a Mazda 1987 B2300 FSM. I'll look for it tomorrow. It has a ton of factory numbers. If it'll work for you, I'll send it to you for cost. I bought it 20+ years ago to support my then oldest young son's pick up. No promises, but I'll make an effort.

We used to play with one of them, was my Pal Pugslys Dads.... thing never gave us no ****. Now, about the time I was driving it the wrong way on the Main Street Bridge in Downtown Jacksonville. Plastered, the nice JSO Man gently told me the correct way to go.... Some of them Cats were Mean, Bro, But Some Were stand Up Men! Like the Gentleman that took me to the nice Hi Rise, for the Elevator Ride of No Return (unless they called you Downstairs). He showed me pics of his work in the 9/11 aftermath. Polaroids, they were... Damn Good Man. We Shook Hands, and said "God Bless, Be Safe" to each other, as he was dropping me off. Hope that Dude is still Rollin'

If it will help, I'll dig out the FSM I have. I'll dig it out out and take a photo of it. I'd rather send it tou you than get raped on Ebay. I'll look for it tomorrow.

not everything that looks the same works the same /could have resistors or Diaos between terminals for different aps.

l cannot tell from your photo but it seems to be a SPDT

If you care, I have a Mazda 1987 B2300 FSM. I'll look for it tomorrow. It has a ton of factory numbers. If it'll work for you, I'll send it to you for cost. I bought it 20+ years ago to support my then oldest young son's pick up. No promises, but I'll make an effort.
@70dart340 No sweat man, that's generous offer but the 87 is a different beast altogether. I think the 84 B2200 was a generational change and was way more refined than this 1972 based model. The vacuum diagram of a B2200+ had about 3X the hoses.
@67Dart273 The relay looks to be a SPST (?) as it only manipulates 1 contactor to complete 1 path...? There are only 4 wires connected to this 5 tab, one side of the contactor is not even tabbed. I had it wrong, the single frame tab is actually hot while the coil moves the wiper to the contact that bridges this power down the line to the 3 way solenoid servo (that opens a vacuum port to a pot on the carb that manipulates the throttle stop...WTH?) . The energized coil actually breaks this contact open.I guess it doesnt matter what it switches (hot or ground) its still working but its just hanging out in the open. Would like to replace with a standard Bosch style for availablilty with proper socket. When you rev the motor you can hear this little thing actuating a the very low end of the return to idle phase. When it clicks, the idle drops to 650. When it doesnt click the idle hangs up at about 800. Im sure it does some good somewhere (emissions) but its just a Rube Goldberg way of doing it. This was the dark ages of carburation: 1976-1984 where it was so complicated to meet carbureted emissions standards that they put all kinds feedback crap on a simple carb to eventually go wrong.

-
Back