Up sh*t creek...

-
All I have to say is "WOW!" I really wish we'd gotten that blade a couple of days ago. What took maybe 20 minutes to cut with the bi-metal blade only took maybe 3 or 4 minutes with the diamond grit blade! I spent maybe 20 minutes total sectioning what was left of the outer part of the plug into pie-shaped pieces. I then chiseled all but one of those off. The last piece is being stubborn. Once I get it, I can see about cutting the inner threads of the plug out. Should I go too far and damage the outer threads, I do have a rubber expansion plug ready to fill the hole. Thanks again for all the advice. Rob, I apologize for not calling Friday. I just really didn't want to look at that hole for a while. I do appreciate the offer, though!

yea those bi metal blades stink, literally they smell bad when trying to cut metal. :)
but they will get the job done if you are really really patient.

A couple of no-hups and some 8" pvc should be enough to replace the cut out section.

All I have to say is "WOW!" I really wish we'd gotten that blade a couple of days ago. What took maybe 20 minutes to cut with the bi-metal blade only took maybe 3 or 4 minutes with the diamond grit blade! I spent maybe 20 minutes total sectioning what was left of the outer part of the plug into pie-shaped pieces. I then chiseled all but one of those off. The last piece is being stubborn. Once I get it, I can see about cutting the inner threads of the plug out. Should I go too far and damage the outer threads, I do have a rubber expansion plug ready to fill the hole. Thanks again for all the advice. Rob, I apologize for not calling Friday. I just really didn't want to look at that hole for a while. I do appreciate the offer, though!

That's ok. I am just glad you are moving forward. Feel free to call if you want. You can just vent if you need to.

SUCCESS!!! Well, partially anyway. We still have the clog, but I finally got that @$!#&*% cleanout plug out! That diamond grit saw blade worked wonders, and then the chisel did the rest. Funny thing was, I had exposed maybe 25% of the thread when I realized what was left of the plug had finally broken loose and was turning like it should have FOUR DAYS AGO!!! Oh, well. We got the expansion plug in there right now. Eventually we'll probably get a brass or PVC plug as a replacement. Thanks again everyone! Now, about that clog...

SUCCESS!!! Well, partially anyway. We still have the clog, but I finally got that @$!#&*% cleanout plug out! That diamond grit saw blade worked wonders, and then the chisel did the rest. Funny thing was, I had exposed maybe 25% of the thread when I realized what was left of the plug had finally broken loose and was turning like it should have FOUR DAYS AGO!!! Oh, well. We got the expansion plug in there right now. Eventually we'll probably get a brass or PVC plug as a replacement. Thanks again everyone! Now, about that clog...

Sweet. I would put a PVC plug in there because if it should stick, it will be easy to break.

Another update. We've run our little snakes through both the clean out in the floor drain and also through the clean out in the vent stack, and haven't hit anything. A friend of ours says he has a 100' manual snake. We're gonna borrow that and see what we can do. If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to rent one of those powered augers on Friday. Thank God I get along well with my mother-in-law and she doesn't mind us doing laundry or using her shower!

Good I am glad to see some progress. Keep on truckin, you'll get it.

Another update. We've run our little snakes through both the clean out in the floor drain and also through the clean out in the vent stack, and haven't hit anything. A friend of ours says he has a 100' manual snake. We're gonna borrow that and see what we can do. If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to rent one of those powered augers on Friday. Thank God I get along well with my mother-in-law and she doesn't mind us doing laundry or using her shower!

100 foot manual snake!! I feel bad for what your about to go through but I understand working with what you got. Good luck!

If the snake makes it to the street call the city, or whoever charges you for sewer.

They came out and cleaned out our entire line for free after the plumber said it was beyond the sidewalk.

If the snake makes it to the street call the city, or whoever charges you for sewer.

They came out and cleaned out our entire line for free after the plumber said it was beyond the sidewalk.

Yeah, we had that thought too. We called the city last Friday, and they came out just long enough to pop the manhole cover, glance in, and then tell me that they had already cleaned the city line in front of our house within the last couple of months. Thanks, though.

Yeah, we had that thought too. We called the city last Friday, and they came out just long enough to pop the manhole cover, glance in, and then tell me that they had already cleaned the city line in front of our house within the last couple of months. Thanks, though.

I was just wondering how you came out on this crappy situation?

Where I live the city will lend you a power snake for free, might be worth asking.
The last clog I had, I could not get it flow.
Payed roto-rooter $150.00 to run there camera down and map it with GPS.
The clog ended up being a collapsed pipe in the street on the city's side.

Well, here's an update. We finally rented a powered auger from a local rental place. It would spin the cable, but we still had to manually push it into the pipe, and then pull it back out. Or at least, that's how it would work for someone who isn't me. We rented it close to five this evening, right before they closed, took it home, and got ready to go. We plugged it in, and I started to pull the cable out to put it in the clean out hole. As soon as the tip of the cutter blade hit the cast iron of our floor drain, it shot sparks out everywhere from the tip. The damn thing has a short in the motor somewhere that electrified the cable. Thank god for leather gloves and the fact that I didn't touch the cable with my bare arm, since I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. After we went outside and smoked a cigarette (and changed my shorts) we decided to try it again, but manually this time. Instead of using the motor to turn the cable as it was going through the pipe, MommaCat turned it while I shoved the cable into the hole. We hit a few blockages that we were able to muscle through, and figured we went through at least half the cable on the drum. We still have a clog somewhere, though, because things are still backing up into the drain. We're gonna try it again and send the whole cable reel out through the clean out. We're also going to put it down the y-pipe behind the washing machine, and also down the y-pipe behind the sink. We finally got the overflow cover off the bathtub, and ran one of the smaller 20' snakes down it. All we pulled back from that was hair. We were figuring on that.

I swear, karma must really have it in for us right now. On top of the drain issue, a week ago Friday MommaCat's car started overheating. We get it to the shop late, and have to wait until Tuesday because of the holiday to find out we've got a bum thermostat. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. I've replaced thermostats on my Ranger and on the Camaro. Not in the Volkswagen. You have to remove the entire front of the car, as well as the timing belt, to access the thermostat. $25 for the thermostat, and 3.8 hours labor brings the total up to $381 and change that we don't have. We decided to clean up the Camaro to try to sell it again. I was trying to pull the wiper arms off so I could replace the wiper motor, and I cracked the freaking windshield! I tell you, I can't win for losing! Got that fixed, and we were able to rent the auger today so I thought we would be good. But no, something else had to go wrong. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a phone interview for a job on Tuesday, I'd think we were cursed or something. Either that, or one of us REALLY pissed someone off in another life.

Sorry for the sob story/pity party, but I needed to vent, and I wanted to update you all on what was going on with our sh*tty sewer. Pun intended.

God bless yall. If there's anyone who can sympathize, it's Kitty and me. You have my number if you want to chat.

Well, here's an update. We finally rented a powered auger from a local rental place. It would spin the cable, but we still had to manually push it into the pipe, and then pull it back out. Or at least, that's how it would work for someone who isn't me. We rented it close to five this evening, right before they closed, took it home, and got ready to go. We plugged it in, and I started to pull the cable out to put it in the clean out hole. As soon as the tip of the cutter blade hit the cast iron of our floor drain, it shot sparks out everywhere from the tip. The damn thing has a short in the motor somewhere that electrified the cable. Thank god for leather gloves and the fact that I didn't touch the cable with my bare arm, since I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. After we went outside and smoked a cigarette (and changed my shorts) we decided to try it again, but manually this time. Instead of using the motor to turn the cable as it was going through the pipe, MommaCat turned it while I shoved the cable into the hole. We hit a few blockages that we were able to muscle through, and figured we went through at least half the cable on the drum. We still have a clog somewhere, though, because things are still backing up into the drain. We're gonna try it again and send the whole cable reel out through the clean out. We're also going to put it down the y-pipe behind the washing machine, and also down the y-pipe behind the sink. We finally got the overflow cover off the bathtub, and ran one of the smaller 20' snakes down it. All we pulled back from that was hair. We were figuring on that.

I swear, karma must really have it in for us right now. On top of the drain issue, a week ago Friday MommaCat's car started overheating. We get it to the shop late, and have to wait until Tuesday because of the holiday to find out we've got a bum thermostat. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. I've replaced thermostats on my Ranger and on the Camaro. Not in the Volkswagen. You have to remove the entire front of the car, as well as the timing belt, to access the thermostat. $25 for the thermostat, and 3.8 hours labor brings the total up to $381 and change that we don't have. We decided to clean up the Camaro to try to sell it again. I was trying to pull the wiper arms off so I could replace the wiper motor, and I cracked the freaking windshield! I tell you, I can't win for losing! Got that fixed, and we were able to rent the auger today so I thought we would be good. But no, something else had to go wrong. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a phone interview for a job on Tuesday, I'd think we were cursed or something. Either that, or one of us REALLY pissed someone off in another life.

Sorry for the sob story/pity party, but I needed to vent, and I wanted to update you all on what was going on with our sh*tty sewer. Pun intended.

To quote a movie...I suggest that you start drinking heavily! (On second thought, that probably wouldn't help.)

Those cables can be very deceiving. I always run it until I think it's out then put a marker on the cable to see if it is still going out or not.

To quote a movie...I suggest that you start drinking heavily! (On second thought, that probably wouldn't help.)

I appreciate the suggestion, and don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. Especially after almost electrocuting myself last night.

In case anybody is interested, a neighbor of mine and I set the powered auger up outside and plugged it in to get video of it arcing so I can show the people at the rental place that there is definitely something wrong with it. The video is short, and if you blink you'll miss it, but you can see it arc when my neighbor touches the tip of the auger to the fence post.

[ame]http://youtu.be/06H6PR-M1Cg[/ame]

Here's a picture of the mark it left on the fence post:

View attachment 20140907_175145[1].jpg

Hopefully it's enough to get our money refunded. I've had it, and I'm calling in a professional. It's probably what I should have done to begin with, but finances being what they are we really couldn't afford it. We still can't but we gotta do what we gotta do. I'll let you know what happens when it happens. Thanks again everyone!

Hey, chin up! You did the hard part. Get the rental company to give you a working drain auger and whip this thing! They should honor their part and give you a working machine. You can do this.

Hey, chin up! You did the hard part. Get the rental company to give you a working drain auger and whip this thing! They should honor their part and give you a working machine. You can do this.

Any other time, and I probably would. But we've been fighting this thing for three weeks now, and I'm tired of going to my mother in law's to take a shower and do laundry. It would be nice to be able to use our own. So we're just going to see what an actual plumber has to say and go from there.

Okay, I must make it known that the rental company that we got the auger from made things right and refunded all of my money. When I returned it this morning, it helped that the person inside the office was the owner. I told him what happened, showed him the video, and he immediately offered to refund my money without me having to mention it. So kudos to them! Now about this damn drain...

Okay, this should be the next to last update from me on this thread. I hope! I broke down and called in a plumber. He's supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed that it's an easy fix.

The plumbers have been and gone, and they got the sewer clear. They used a 100' power snake with a large cutter head, but it was a stubborn bugger. They took the cutter all the way out to the full length, which put it out in the middle of the street, pulled it all the way back in, and sent it back out one more time. The clog finally gave up and cleared completely at about the 50' to 60' mark this time. We had all the faucets in the house running, as well as the water line for the toilet running into the toilet's drain pipe (we pulled the toilet), and the water never raised up after it cleared. When they pulled the cutter head back up there were roots on it, as we suspected. So next year we get to drop a tree. YAY! CHAINSAWS!!! Thank you again to all who offered support and advice. It was definitely appreciated.

-
Back