Up sh*t creek...

-
Should be at least as deep as your basement wall is below the exterior grade.

There is probably a hardware store or rental company in the area that you can rent a snake.

Bob gave you good advice, but for the time and effort, if you could rent a snake (they are not hard to use) should be able to get it cleared easily

Unless it is like the last one I worked on where the pipe broke due to a concrete slab at the wall where it exited the house what a nightmare.

Good luck getting it cleared

The beast way to have a clean out should you have to dig it up install a clean out tee that allows you to go both directions.

View attachment 434e617d.jpg

Then use some PVC stubs and Fernco (or similar brand) boots to install it in to your line.

View attachment 418m01BVQ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Should you have an issue again it is a matter of unscrewing the cap to gain access.

View attachment double-outside-sewer-cleanout.jpg

I have also seen it done with long turn wyes in deep locations. This is also a good shot on how to use the Fernco boots.

There is probably a hardware store or rental company in the area that you can rent a snake.

Bob gave you good advice, but for the time and effort, if you could rent a snake (they are not hard to use) should be able to get it cleared easily

Unless it is like the last one I worked on where the pipe broke due to a concrete slab at the wall where it exited the house what a nightmare.

Good luck getting it cleared

We actually have two snakes in the house. Both are hand-held. One is manual, in that you turn a handle to snake it. The other is the kind you hook a drill up to. The problem is that since we can't get the clean out plug out of the floor drain, we would have to go through the trap at the bottom of the drain. We can't get either snake up through the bend in the pipe. I'm pretty much at my wit's end. I think we're going to have to break down and call a plumber, but I have no idea how we're going to afford it. :banghead:

You might try tightening the clean out plug first. A lot of times that will break them loose. They are pipe threads and are tapered. Tightening for some reason almost always works. You should use a large correct size wrench or a pipe wrench though instead of a hammer and chisel.

We actually have two snakes in the house. Both are hand-held. One is manual, in that you turn a handle to snake it. The other is the kind you hook a drill up to. The problem is that since we can't get the clean out plug out of the floor drain, we would have to go through the trap at the bottom of the drain. We can't get either snake up through the bend in the pipe. I'm pretty much at my wit's end. I think we're going to have to break down and call a plumber, but I have no idea how we're going to afford it. :banghead:

Have you put heat to the plug? Be sure you don't have sewer gas build up before you try.

Have you put heat to the plug? Be sure you don't have sewer gas build up before you try.

No, because I don't have anything to use to put heat to it.

You might try tightening the clean out plug first. A lot of times that will break them loose. They are pipe threads and are tapered. Tightening for some reason almost always works. You should use a large correct size wrench or a pipe wrench though instead of a hammer and chisel.

I've tried a large adjustable wrench, I've tried a pipe wrench with a breaker bar on the end. I have tried tightening it as well as loosening it. Nothing will budge it. It's currently basting under a rather liberal coating of PB Blaster. We'll see what happens in a couple of hours.

:wack:
I can tell, there`s not a plumber in the bunch! okc was fairly close, rrr was in there a little too, most of the other ones were shots in the dark. first off, it does sound like a mostly plugged drain, not a vent problem. second, you can`t go down thru ur washing machine drain-as there is a ''should be 2" p-trap at the bottom of the stand pipe. if ur floor drain is cast iron, the plug should be brass, not ductile iron, it could even be pvc if it has been changedby some one. does ur house have studor vents in the attic? if not there should be more than one vent exiting the roof, "if" ur grand pa or who ever plumbed it new what he was doing, unless all the plumbing is bunched up real close together and not scatered all over the house(a lot of distance between fixtures). you can take a small torch and heat the clean-out plug inthe floor drain(get it hot!), that way u won`t be trying to shove ur snake -garden hose or what ever u use thru the floor drain trap. and it is supposed to be hooked in w/ the house plumbing! if that doesn`t work, ur going to have to find the spot that the trunk line exits the house. dig it up, make a hole in it drill-it or whatever(depends on the mat`l ) if it is clay tile u can use a masonary blade carefully to make a small hloe, of the old-old fashoned way and chipp it very slowly a bit at a time w/ a sharp little chisel an a medium size hammer. careful, u don`t want to break that pipe! use ur snake both ways, in toward the house and out toward the yard---u still might need an auger type sewer machine!--if u have to u can bend some scap metal that won`t rust quickly and fashion a cover for it to keep dirt out of it, obviously a clean out tee would be better!---good luck-----bob

Umm, since when is a floor drain supposed to be hooked into the same system that drains a toilet??? Not in Michigan, and certainly not where city black water sewers drain toilet water! The storm drain maybe, but not a black water drain!! Unless of course you'd like to end up like our OP here and have toilet water back up through a floor drain!!

Not a plumber, just been playing one on TV!!!....

No money... I would probe the ground to find the sever line and then be getting a shovel to start digging. It sucks but would be cheaper than a plumber or destroying a drain in a concrete slab.

It may take some time with the PB, but I believe that will do it.

Well, here's a little update. I kept hitting it with PB Blaster, let it sit, and then attacked it with a large pipe wrench and a breaker bar about 3 feet long. I thought I felt it give, but when I looked it was still in the same spot. I looked closer, and saw that one of the corners of the square part the wrench grips on had crumbled away. Now I can't even get purchase with the pipe wrench anymore.

:banghead: :violent1: :banghead: :violent1: :banghead:

I think I'm going to throw in the towel. I talked to my mom, and I think she's going to loan us the money for a plumber. I don't want to screw anything else up. I've gotten some recommendations for plumbers down here from a couple of people. One of them was even mentioned by a couple people, so that's probably where we'll go. Thanks everyone for all the help. I think when our money situation eases a little, I'm going to go ahead and find the line in the yard and install a clean out that I can access outside.

Ummm

All drains in your home eventually lead into your main sewer line, which connects to a city sewer line or a septic tank. Every plumbing fixture including floor drains have a trap. The purpose of a trap is to prevent foul-smelling sewer gas from coming back in to the house.

Drill many holes in the plug, chisel and beat and break out the plug! Clean out the threads and replace with a $2 PVC plug.

Man, we can walk you through this......or at least I will. I'll be glad to do it over the phone. Just think of it as big fuel line plumbing. All you need to do is cut out that clean up access and clamp a PVC one in its place. What diameter pipe is it? 4"?

Drill many holes in the plug, chisel and beat and break out the plug! Clean out the threads and replace with a $2 PVC plug.

Yup, this happened to mine, cover rusted on, busted it out and installed a new style one

Man, we can walk you through this......or at least I will. I'll be glad to do it over the phone. Just think of it as big fuel line plumbing. All you need to do is cut out that clean up access and clamp a PVC one in its place. What diameter pipe is it? 4"?

I wouldn't have a problem with that. The diameter of this one is actually closer to 2". I'm not messing with it anymore tonight, but I can give you a call tomorrow. Just tell me what time. Thanks in advance!

Most likely a plumber will want to replace the entire line from your house out to the city's line. Once you get it flowing, it's a good chance that it will clog again. BUT, you can keep it cleared out with a snake until you can replace the line. All you need is access to the clog.

You have some more leeway being the owner. You probably don't have to pull a permit or anything. When I wired and plumed my shop, I went to P&Z and the just laughed when I said I was gonna do it myself and told me what the code was and even came out and checked it over for free. I never had to pull a permit.

There may be an access grate on the sidewalk where the sewer lateral comes in off the street, I would start there. If your plumbing is no hub, meaning the joints are held together with stainless type bands, maybe loosen up a joint and snake from an easy access area. Hope this helps.

Ummm

All drains in your home eventually lead into your main sewer line, which connects to a city sewer line or a septic tank. Every plumbing fixture including floor drains have a trap. The purpose of a trap is to prevent foul-smelling sewer gas from coming back in to the house.

Agreed Roger, all drains tie into the main line.

this should work, or a rubber bung...kinda like the "universal frost plugs" for engines that you "tighten up"

Have you talked to the neighbours?? Maybe they have a similar problem? If so it might not even be "your problem". Wtih all municipalities I have worked for, it is the home owners responsibility to the curbstop for water, and the property line for wastewater.
Plug could be down stream from your "responsibility"

Good luck.

-
Back