Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Here are some pics I took this morning. Sorry about the quality. All of the shop lights were being used on other projects. Also, my buddies Jim and Gary took some time to dial in my carbs. I'll probably mount them up on Wednesday after the glass gets put in.

MVC-024F.JPG

MVC-025F.JPG

MVC-026F.JPG

MVC-027F.JPG

MVC-028F.JPG

MVC-029F.JPG

Here are some pictures I tool last night. Still waiting on the glass guy to show. I'm feeling a little beter since I'm able to see some progress. I really like the stance as depicted in one of the pictures. I am also leaning toward taking it down to the Funnycar Farm guys for a front straight axle job. The jury is still out on that. If you have a similar project feel free to comment or e-mail me if there are questions.

MVC-001F.JPG

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-004F.JPG

LOOKS GREAT !! i too have considered a straight axel,,let me know if you get any info on that,

That looks excellent man. Those tti's are tight huh. I have a vacuum leak around my intake so I'll be pulling it. I'm thinking of painting it the same color as the engine block after seeing yours. It is VHT silver right now.

Yeah, I agree. I've always liked a fully painted engine with a touch of polish here and there. Didn't get my rear glass in this morning. Apparently I have the wrong gasket. Since I got this gasket over a year ago I can't send it back. Got it from Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts. I had to call laysons this morning and order one from them. I asked them three times if they had it in stock with their reply being yes. We'll see!!

Yeah, the lines are already bent. I removed the MC and lines to make it a little easier to put the motor in. The line running from the MC to the passenger side was re-routed to the front of the K member. Next time I will install the motor from the bottom. It was a PITA getting that Milodon pan to clear the K member and this was after I modified it.

Milodon pan in Early A K-member>>>>>>>>>>here was my solution.

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

That thought crossed my mind but I didn't want to hack up the pan. As it urned out we put the engine in with the bell housing attached, Real PITA. Had we removed the BH the engine would of dropped right down.

Hello dart4forte,
I have to tell you looking at your 64 Dart pictures really brought back some memories. I bought mine in 1997 and totally disasembled it. It took me 6 years and two girlfriends to complete. I can remember getting to the point your at painted and ready to assemble. The light at the end of the tunnel. It's a really great feeling. Jayson

DSCN1067.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1198.jpg

dart64.jpg

Here are some pics I took this morning. Sorry about the quality. All of the shop lights were being used on other projects. Also, my buddies Jim and Gary took some time to dial in my carbs. I'll probably mount them up on Wednesday after the glass gets put in.
not to be a smart arse but looking at the tie rod end pic there is no grease fitting my system came with them it was a PST package deal, just wonder if you saw it missing or not .

not to be a smart arse but looking at the tie rod end pic there is no grease fitting my system came with them it was a PST package deal, just wonder if you saw it missing or not .

No, its not odd. I haven't installed them. Since I was dealing with the headers I left them off for now. When I get the clutch torque arm installed and the rest of the clutch linkage I can go ahead and slam the torsion bars jome, tighten up the suspension and go ahead and install all the fittings

Hello dart4forte,
I have to tell you looking at your 64 Dart pictures really brought back some memories. I bought mine in 1997 and totally disasembled it. It took me 6 years and two girlfriends to complete. I can remember getting to the point your at painted and ready to assemble. The light at the end of the tunnel. It's a really great feeling. Jayson

Real nice. Only real differance is you painted the bottom of the car. What size wheels are you running on the rear? 9" rear I see. I like that red stripe. If I had a red interior thats the way I would go. Are you driving the car now?

No, its not odd. I haven't installed them. Since I was dealing with the headers I left them off for now. When I get the clutch torque arm installed and the rest of the clutch linkage I can go ahead and slam the torsion bars jome, tighten up the suspension and go ahead and install all the fittings
good deal I would probally forget just cause I am Super ADHD great looking car, hope my 63 looks that good finished

Hello dart4forte,

The radiator for mine is next, where did you get yours and what was the part number? Also, do you have some pics on how you inboarded your rear springs. Looks like a real clean fit.

Hello Again, The Ford 9" was free and being I was mini tubbing I would have to cut it down anyways. Back tires are 28 X 12.5 ET streets. The radiator and fan shroud was custom made as is the headers and exhaust. Back when I did this car nobody was making good radiators for mopars like they are now so I found someone who could tig well really good. I can weld, but I don't do it on a regular basis so it's not perfect. Slims Hot Rodd shop near Detroit made these parts for me and relocated the leaf springs. They also made the gas tank and some new window corners where needed. Jayson

Car pictures.jpg

DSCN1070.jpg

Really nice work. I see you went with the total in-board. I would of gone that way but the guy who did the underside work is 70 years old and he's pretty much done doing that kind of work. Can't blame him. Would you do me a favor and do a measurement on your rad for me

Here's a better picture of it to get the idea. It goes almost the full width between the frame rails with maybe 1/2 " a side clearance. Notice that the bolts go thru the tanks and that its a cross flow radiator. My car had a bigger opening thru the front maybe because it had air conditioning. You can trim yours open to get max air flow. The radiator measures 25" wide and 19" tall approx. The tanks are about 4" wide each. If you make a fan shroud the fan blade should be partially out of the shroud. There is a company call Evans http://www.evanscooling.com/. They have some great articles about cooling and a tech line you can call about building a radiator. The gentleman I spoke with gave me a education about cooling and how to build a radiator that runs effecient. Very worth your time being overheating is a common problem for older cars! Any ways hope the info helps. Jayson

DSCN0985.JPG

Hey you steeler! I wanted to build a pro street 64 Dart with a screeming
273. My first car was a 65 Dart with a HP273. My present is a 66 GT with a HP 273. I allways wanted a 64 with a screemin' 273. There is no reason why
you can't get 350+ hp out of a 273. Mike

Here's a better picture of it to get the idea. It goes almost the full width between the frame rails with maybe 1/2 " a side clearance. Notice that the bolts go thru the tanks and that its a cross flow radiator. My car had a bigger opening thru the front maybe because it had air conditioning. You can trim yours open to get max air flow. The radiator measures 25" wide and 19" tall approx. The tanks are about 4" wide each. If you make a fan shroud the fan blade should be partially out of the shroud. There is a company call Evans http://www.evanscooling.com/. They have some great articles about cooling and a tech line you can call about building a radiator. The gentleman I spoke with gave me a education about cooling and how to build a radiator that runs effecient. Very worth your time being overheating is a common problem for older cars! Any ways hope the info helps. Jayson

Thanks Jayson

Hey you steeler! I wanted to build a pro street 64 Dart with a screeming
273. My first car was a 65 Dart with a HP273. My present is a 66 GT with a HP 273. I allways wanted a 64 with a screemin' 273. There is no reason why
you can't get 350+ hp out of a 273. Mike

Several years ago I had a Hipo 273/4 speed car. It had KH disk brakes aned an 8.75 but it really needed a lot of body work. I sold it to a guy in the midwest who is now restoring the car.

-
Back