Update on My 64 Dart project

-
I like that you're staying with the 273. It'll be interesting to see what you can get out of it. Looks like its going to be a nice ride.

dart4forte said:
As some on the board knows I'm building this 64 Dart post car. It will have a hot 273/4 speed with 4:30 gears. I was over at the shop where the engine is being done and lo and behold while looking at the short block I noticed that the casting number is 5-13-66. My buddy has a book that has all of the old calenders and sure enough the block was cast Friday the 13th of May, 1966. I always wondered about this particular block in that the date is the only stamping on the block. How weird can that be!!!!!

That is weird. Soooo, how hot is this 273. Please tell us about it.

Lee

ValiantMike said:
I like that you're staying with the 273. It'll be interesting to see what you can get out of it. Looks like its going to be a nice ride.

We did the math this evening and this motor will have no problem turning 7000 RPM. I have to sit down and figure out some variables such as the size of the slicks but we figure a 28X9 slick with 4.30's will have the motor humming at around 6900 through the traps at 13.20

Finally found my battery chager for my camera so now I can take some pics. I'll get some of the cars progress tomorrow. Here is the assembled short block

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-009F.JPG

MVC-010F.JPG

MVC-011F.JPG

moparlee said:
That is weird. Soooo, how hot is this 273. Please tell us about it.

Lee

Off the top of my head
.040 273, TRW forged 10.5 to 1 pistons, HPC coated, bored/honed w/ deckplate. balanced, block trued, heads cut, 9.8 final CR, Comp cam is .495/284 .505 exhaust, heads worked over with stainless valves, duel 4 barrel manifold with 500 Carters. 4 speed with 18 pound flywheel, Webber clutch, 8.75 with 4:30's to start. I may move up to 5:13's. I have been asked by the engine builder to keep some of the finer details close to the cuff.

moparlee said:
Killer, what size valves and what heads are those?

Lee

Stock 64-65 273 heads, some massaging done, bowl blending etc., massaged stainless valves

So you are running the stock size valves also then? It would be cool to ride in that when you are done.

Lee

A little larger than stock. The intakes are cut from 1.88's. The exhaust are Fera and the intakes are MP

moparlee said:
Killer.

Lee

Say, are you running a milodon pan? If so did you have to do anything to the K frame for clearance?

Sorry, I'm running a Moroso and it fits perfectly. I hear that the Milodon will need to notch the K-member. I'm not sure on that though.

Lee

Fianlly got the brakes done except plumbing the M/C. I'm waiting on the line lock. I also need to figure out where to mount the distribution block. It looks like it will be too close to the headers. I may look into the Master Power Brakes set-up. Anyway, here's some pics I took this morning.

MVC-012F.JPG

MVC-013F.JPG

MVC-014F.JPG

MVC-015F.JPG

MVC-016F.JPG

its really taking shape.. yo uhave really done a nice job and I like all the pics.. keep em coming...!!!

Cerwin

Thanks guys. I hope all the information that I post helps someone else that's doing an early A project. I still need to figure out the notching of the K member for the Milodon pan

hemidart1 said:
I'm planning on running 15x7's with 235/60 BFG Drag Radials on mine. Glad to see they fit!

I could only get American to go with a 4" offset on the rear wheels. As it stands now the Super Stock Springs keep the wheel housing lip off the tire. I have a set of CalTracks on order and that will lower the body a bit so I may have to knock the lip upward for clearance.

Looking sweet. You are a little ahead of me in your resto. Hopefully, I'll close behind soon. It's making me itchy to get my car back together. Did you blast the K-frame and suspension parts before painting or did you have them powder coated?

How about the plumbing? Did you do it yourself or did you order a kit?

Tires
15x7 235/60

Is that the stock leaf spring location? I'm thinking of having my wheels widened to 15x7 with a 4.5" backspacing. How close are the springs? I was thinking I could only get 225/60s back there.

That is One fine looking Dart, Keep up the good work :salute:

you could always try a 15X6 inch wheel with 4 inch backspace...that might give more clearance?

Al.

-
Back