Upper Ball joint installation

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So I was in the garage and working on my suspension. Everything is apart right now and Im putting it back together. My problem is I went to install the UBJ's but for some reason they dont want to tread it. I didnt force the issue as I didnt want to bugger the treads.

Do these normally go in hard? I was just using a my hand and a pair of channel locks .

Yeah these seemd to start but then once I got a turn or 2 just no more. Could someone tell me the proper way to install these?

are they the same size you took out? how did your old ones come out? easy or hard all the way?

I had a shop remove the old ones so I dont know. They unscrewed them out. They look like there the right size just not going in well.

The harder they go in, the better off you are as long as they're going in straight. If you don't have the correct socket, a pipe wrench is a better tool to use instead of channel locks.

It is interference thread. If you have a torch handy you can heat the hole a bit to expand it. Zip the ball joint in with a impact. No grease.
When it cools it there to stay.

The harder they go in, the better off you are as long as they're going in straight. If you don't have the correct socket, a pipe wrench is a better tool to use instead of channel locks.

You are correct Cheryl. I was thinking they would just thread in and tighten down. They go in pretty hard both do. I will try the pipe wrench when I clean the threads. That was the other thing its tough to tell if its going in straight. Ill try again

get the socket and torque them to 125 foot pounds...if they can't handle 125 ft lbs...tack weld them when they bottom out...

Yeah I could see that working good too. Ill them in. I just didnt want to force the issue before I asked questions. I believe the first step is cleaning the threads and trying again. Do yall recommend lubing them? How about loc tite?

Yeah not paying $40 for a socket

I just did this last week and I borrowed my friends socket and upper bushing tool but if I were going to do it again I would buy my own! The 10 minutes it took to take out both a arms bushings and balljoints and then install the new bushings and balljoints was well worth the $40 for the socket, and this is comming from a cheap *** bastard that tries to find the cheapest way I can do it myself!

Yeah I can see if I had a few of these cars and needed it alot but fact is I dont. I will put them in and if needed I will tach them.

or buy it, use it and take it back! hahaha...thats what i did with a gear puller i got from kragen..LOL

buy it, use it, sell it to me cheap, (because its used) I use a big adjustable wrench on mine

-
Back