Use of lead substitute ?

-

germanduster

Reaction score
Hi there,

stupid question from Germany. How many guys here are using lead substitute for the small Block engines ?

Its a controversial issue in germany if it is needed or not. Hope some American guys (and all over the world guys) can give up a statement :D. thanks

brgds
Frank

No lead substitutes for me. I do use the best synthetic oil I can get though and oil additives like Z-Max and Lucas. As for the valve lubrication, the gas sold in the USA has alternate lubricant formulations that are sufficient. I had the heads to my 440 engine rebuilt and I asked the machine shop if they recommended installing hardened seats. He said "No - they're not necessary". He said that though the "lead" heads might experience some recession, it was not worth the high expense to install hardened seats in anticipation of the slow if ever at all expected problem. Save the money and do more frequent oil & filter changes.

I never used lead substitutes in my gas. Every couple of tank fulls, I would mix some 110+ octane race fuel (CAM2 or VP) with pump gas since the race fuel contains lead.

Thanks Dan - I have to translate it for the german guys :prayer:and i will give an advise that the original text is from a canadian :mrgreen:.

redbeard.gif

so as i understand it it is better to fill in every 2nd or 3rd tankful a 98 or 100 unleaded gas.

That's wrong. Wenn der Motor nicht klopft, verwenden Sie keine höheren-Oktan Benzin. Dazu ist eine sinnlose Verschwendung von Geld; Benzin mit höherer Oktanzahl hat keinen Nutzen außer Unterdrückung der Motorklopft.

redbeard.gif

That's wrong. Wenn der Motor nicht klopft, verwenden Sie keine höheren-Oktan Benzin. Dazu ist eine sinnlose Verschwendung von Geld; Benzin mit höherer Oktanzahl hat keinen Nutzen außer Unterdrückung der Motorklopft.

:blob:good german dan - and i have an ear on the engine in spring 2012.
Thanks again and i have learned alot more now.

redbeard.gif

Now that, is impressive... Tech in the posters language... :prayer:

-
Back