Using 2 alternators .....

-
Use this and just add an alternator instead of an ac compressor

CVF RACING
upload_2021-12-19_7-20-32.jpeg

Just out of curiosity- dual mags? I understand you can’t walk home so redundancies- but why mags? No belt to break or will the alternator freeze up in those temps? I’ve never owned an airplane so trying to understand.
Thanks!
Syleng1
Magnetos create current by capturing mechanical energy from the rotation of the engine which will provide enough energy to spark the plugs, no other source of energy needed. if one mag craps out you switch to the other one. A preflight check on them is to bring the engine to X rpm, to check mag A effeciency, then switch to Mag B to check it.
If the Rpm drop of engine with mag B is lower than the specified parameters, the plane is considered not airworthy.
Same concept with 2 alternators

Last edited:
Magnetos create current by capturing mechanical energy from the rotating
Same concept with 2 alternators

Thank you- I get it now. I’ve worked on mags for smaller engines like the old Wisconsin V engines. I did not make the comparison. And I also now get - no alternator to wear out and your using energy already being supplied. Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

So, are some suggesting that this is the only way out of the box thing someone has tried on this on this forum? In comparison, Doesn’t really seem to even move the crazy needle to me…..

You cannot make something that is round.....more round.

It takes power [ not much, but some ] to drive the alt. So if you are spending money to improve engine performance, & then take away performance with an unnecessary alt, then it does not make much sense...
Unless performance is not the goal. OP wants "to make the engine more symmetrical, more pleasing to the eyes.." You gonna knock him for painting it olive drab too?

My main priority is a spare alt
Think redundancy
It would be great if I could also get more
Benefits from dual alts

Let's not kid ourselves here. When I hear the story start changing...."I'm going for an aircraft theme", "I want symmetry", and "My main priority is a spare alt", you're kidding yourself.

Is your motivation to get back in the cockpit of that Cessna? I banged a hot chick once, I'm not gluing implants and a pocket p***y on my car EVER. Do I want to go back to those days? Yes, but that ain't going to take me there.

Symmetry? You do know that the entire driveline of these cars is off-center, right? The distributor isn't centered either. Thank God you aren't driving a slant 6 car. Symmetry doesn't apply, and never will. You want symmetry? Close the hood and admire how symmetrical it is. Don't get inside the car. Ever.

The benefits of dual alts? Have you had a history of alternator failures? Are alternators somehow unreliable to you? Can you show us where the alternator touched you when mommy wasn't looking? If you think you need a spare alternator, toss one in the trunk with some wrenches and a spare 318, just in case.

But three stories smells like BS and that's what these guys are trying to tell you.

You miss your Cessna, you are searching for perfection and are setting yourself up for failure, and you have a fear of alternator failure but understand the concept of diodes and are still afraid to make a roadside alternator repair. That'll be $60 for the psychology session.

I personally lean toward this philosophy.
Top-25-Quotes-By-Mikhail-Kalashnikov-A-Z-Quotes.jpg

If I want to try to figure something out, there's a 2019 Too-Yota Rav4 in the family fleet that I still haven't figured out what all the unnecessary crap on it does, nor do I even want to!

Let's not kid ourselves here. When I hear the story start changing...."I'm going for an aircraft theme", "I want symmetry", and "My main priority is a spare alt", you're kidding yourself.

Is your motivation to get back in the cockpit of that Cessna? I banged a hot chick once, I'm not gluing implants and a pocket p***y on my car EVER. Do I want to go back to those days? Yes, but that ain't going to take me there.

Symmetry? You do know that the entire driveline of these cars is off-center, right? The distributor isn't centered either. Thank God you aren't driving a slant 6 car. Symmetry doesn't apply, and never will. You want symmetry? Close the hood and admire how symmetrical it is. Don't get inside the car. Ever.

The benefits of dual alts? Have you had a history of alternator failures? Are alternators somehow unreliable to you? Can you show us where the alternator touched you when mommy wasn't looking? If you think you need a spare alternator, toss one in the trunk with some wrenches and a spare 318, just in case.

But three stories smells like BS and that's what these guys are trying to tell you.

You miss your Cessna, you are searching for perfection and are setting yourself up for failure, and you have a fear of alternator failure but understand the concept of diodes and are still afraid to make a roadside alternator repair. That'll be $60 for the psychology session.
My thinking is like a "swiss army knife" , multi-purpose ,
Who do you know that wouldnt be very happy that the item they bought didnt provide not just one purpose, but 24 purposes and would fit in their pocket.
Its obvious that you are not a creative or an out if the box thinker. You called BS on me, which is a classic case of the pot calling
the kettle black.
, BTW, Im currently building a aircraft style
Dash with 24 gauges, numerous dials switches, LED, potentiometers etc.

I personally lean toward this philosophy.
Top-25-Quotes-By-Mikhail-Kalashnikov-A-Z-Quotes.jpg

If I want to try to figure something out, there's a 2019 Too-Yota Rav4 in the family fleet that I still haven't figured out what all the unnecessary crap on it does, nor do I even want to!
Keep it simple ? Imagine zero computers worldwide !

My thinking is like a "swiss army knife" , multi-purpose ,
Who do you know that wouldnt be very happy that the item they bought didnt provide not just one purpose, but 24 purposes and would fit in their pocket.
Its obvious that you are not a creative or an out if the box thinker. You called BS on me, which is a classic case of the pot calling
the kettle black.
, BTW, Im currently building a aircraft style
Dash with 24 gauges, numerous dials switches, LED, potentiometers etc.

I'll agree that a swiss army knife is better than no knife.

Now go process a deer with one.

Your idea is the equivalent of this:
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.classic.com%2Fvehicles%2F039c36060f1e79ee5608b77673b7351f60491306.jpg

ttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorious.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F2020%2F02%2F2010-dodge-challenger-superbird4.jpg

If you're interested in making your engine bay look better, post up a photo and I'm sure you'll get a lot of easy ideas that'll help clean up the engine bay and make it more pleasing to the eye.

Can I make a suggestion? I gathered from your text that this is more of a 'visual - Symmetry' thing. If that is the case, why not consider a nice looking March accessory drive setup.

Engine Power on Powernation had a dyno test on alternator ......alternator charging battery made the same hp as no alternator.....

-
Back