Using points, no spark

-

Hyper Kevin

Reaction score
I have a '67 318 still using points. The car ran fine Sunday morning, but I couldn't get it to start later that day and it still won't start. The engine cranks, but that's it. Here's what I know so far:

fuel is getting to the carb
The battery is new, and I've got 12v at the ballast resistor and at the coil
the points are opening and closing, and the rotor is spinning
the plugs are dry, and the spark plug wires are new, but there's no spark

Any suggestions?

could be a slipped timing chain. had the same problem with a Satellite wagon a few years ago. Car ran like a top until one morning I got in to go to work, and she said you be walkin' today.

If the condensor is changed out and it don't help.
check and see if you have power on both sides of the ballast resistor when the key is on? you should have power on both sides.
Make sure you put the rotor back on
:yep I have forgot to put the rotor back on:#-o
then put the dist cap back on and stick a screw driver
in a plug wire and see if you have spark jumping to any ground like a manifold
be sure there is no gas anywhere.and you will need some one to use the key to try and start the motor
If there is no spark your coil may have went out on you.

like cuda65vpt said, this has happen to me too,
but I have had a coil go away on me also.

Yeah bad condenser is a very good guess if you've verified the coil is hot in both start and run positions.

Yeah, I've done the rotor things lots and lots! Also put a new condenser in that was no good. Maybe want to check for bare wires grounding the spark in the distributor or related places.

Thanks everyone. I'll pick up a condenser in the morning and let you know what happens.

i had this happen too but i changed all the spark crap at once . i changed the coil . condencer, wires points , and all that , check the timing , make sure your points are clean , could have gotten fouled

I tried the ol' screwdriver in the wire, and there's definately no spark. This morning I put on a new condenser, but unfortunately there's still no spark. I checked the ballast resistor and it has power on both sides. I had a spare coil lying around so I tried that, too, but no luck. I also pulled the plugs to make sure they weren't fouled. I'll try cleaning the points, since that seems to be the least costly. If that doesn't work, I'll look for possible grounds and then move on to the timing.

As frustrating as this is, at least I'm learning some good troubleshooting for the future!

I'll send out another progress report this weekend.

One more thing to try, pull the dist cap and rotor off the distributor. Make sure the points are closed, turn the key on and manually open the points with a screw driver, you should see the point arc. If you dont, fold a piece of sand paper over and insert it between the point contacts and sand them a little and check again, if you see an arc put things back together and you should be good to go. Make sure your points a gapped correctly!
Also while your there check the contacts on the rotor, if their corroded, sand them lightly also. And you might want to sand lightly the center button on the underside of the dist cap.
I've seen corrosion or glazing on any of these parts cause a no spark condition.
Good luck!

Got a third ignition coil. Put that in, cleaned up the points, and the car started right up. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now the car is off to the bodyshop!

-
Back