using tubes as wheel spacers?

-
You know what. Just do what ever you think,:steering: but please make sure that somebody gets video of the end results for us to enjoy. :rofl:

its right there in the first post "go kart"
but i admit, i hid it for comical effect

When you mentioned using wood, I thought we might be getting punk'ed, but I didn't realize you disclosed it your first post. Pretty sneaky.

Well, it was a little bit of both, I did want to run this by you guys but I can never turn down a good laugh

It turned out that the bolts on the hub don't line up with the rims I wanted to use so to make it work I would have to remove some of the ribs cast in the back of the hub and drill new holes for the new bolt pattern
In the end, I decided to just buy new tires and put those on the rims that were on there

But I do appreciate everyone's input

Google tractor wheel spacers. Would give you a good idea what to build.

My initial thought was - are you insane? Then I thought about it and I came to the new thought - are you insane? The longer studs with the wheel mounted at the end is an invitation to snap off. And a tube to space it out? I work in a shop and hate all spacers, but if you aren't going to do the right thing and get the right wheels to fit your car you should at least buy proper spacers. Life sucks bad when you lose a tire. Not worth the chance.

I don't understand any of this. It sounds like a REALLY bad idea

If you used ATC wheels and tires you could probably get the proper spacing and you could go mudden with it as well. LMAO

Jack

NHRA bans spacers for a reason. Most of them are made from aluminum. Your idea of using studs as spacers is an even worse idea. I saw a guy with a gorgeous 62 Corvette watch his slick finish the 1/4 mile ahead of his car. Not to mention the damage done to the body when that slick exited stage right. In a phrase, "Don't even think about it!" Get wheels with the correct backspacing.

hey guys, i want to run some wider wheels, and according to my calculations, the new wheels have 3 inches more of backspacing then my old ones
so, to keep the tires out of the frame, i figured i could install some longer studs and cut some tube to use as spacers
as long as all my tubes are close to the same length, and i bump my wheel studs up to 5/16th i should be good right?

almost forgot to mention, im talking about a 5.5 hp go kart, of course
Go for it! Just remember to use left hand thread studs on the left side wheels.

hey guys, i want to run some wider wheels, and according to my calculations, the new wheels have 3 inches more of backspacing then my old ones
so, to keep the tires out of the frame, i figured i could install some longer studs and cut some tube to use as spacers
as long as all my tubes are close to the same length, and i bump my wheel studs up to 5/16th i should be good right?

Wheel Spacers in general are a terrible idea! Buy the correct wheels.

almost forgot to mention, im talking about a 5.5 hp go kart, of course

i found a place that will sell me a new axle and hubs for a decent price, so i just put in an order for that
this will also replace the single wheel peel with a live axle, which will be fun

ill toss some picks up once i get some parts in

Now that it is on, I'm thinking I could have gone another two inches on the axle, but it works

20180918_200029.jpg

20180919_104253.jpg

-
Back