UTG 727 destruction

-
So excuse my lack of knowledge but when the engine braking is removed from the trans- (Low band apply??) does this eliminate the possibility of damage when letting off during a high rpm burnout in first gear? I know with a full reverse manual valve body and no engine braking the engine free wheels in first when you let off the gas. For this free wheeling to take place one must also have a high stall TC?

Not sure if you're comparing Dulcich and Freiburger with UTG but more for everyone else here, those guys know how to properly build an engine and car *when they want to*. Great examples are the F-Rod ('31 Ford with 572" BBC that ran in the 8's first time out) and the current version of the General Mayhem. When they do break stuff or do things wrong they own up to it with no reservations or blame on others and have entire episodes based on fixing and improving on their mistakes and then putting their creations to the test, usually with lots of abuse.

I'm not the biggest fan of the original Roadkill (don't hate it either) but Roadkill Garage and Engine Masters are great series for real-world hobbyists. They aren't experts at building full-on race engines but they don't claim to be. I hope to meet them at an event at some point and show them my Duster which has been built in a way similar to many of their projects.

I like RK garage... the only thing i don't like is the whole "gotta do burnouts" thing and building cars on a "Budget" with a $5-6k gearstar trans and ****... i mean i guess a budget can mean anything :)

Dont forget he ran the junkyard jet kids off as well. He had them doing all that BS with surfacing heads with a block of wood and sandpaper, and honing each cylinder for 8 hours!! After they first started the engine, they dissapeared a few months, and tore the engine back down and sent it to be properly machined, tony kicked them out of the shop for that.

I stopped watching his channel when they started that car, i didn't know about them surfacing with wood... so he got mad that they actually had a block prepped properly?

That 318 at Nicks garage was it for me...that "oh to hell with it, it will run..." attitude didn't work out well for him. That engine could be used as the smoke machine for Kiss next end of the road tour...:)

I like RK garage... the only thing i don't like is the whole "gotta do burnouts" thing and building cars on a "Budget" with a $5-6k gearstar trans and ****... i mean i guess a budget can mean anything :)

I kinda like the long-distance rolling burnouts but to me it's all part of the entertainment aspect which I blame the producers at MotorTrend for.

I kinda like the long-distance rolling burnouts but to me it's all part of the entertainment aspect which I blame the producers at MotorTrend for.
Yeah... all i see is a car with traction issues :)

Yeah... all i see is a car with traction issues :)

Granted it's on dusty public roads with no prep or initial burnout to warm the tires. The Crop Duster hooked and launched pretty well when they wanted it to at an actual drag strip. Showing how far the car can continue to spin the tires and go straight with no braking is pretty impressive IMO.

Not that I ever watched many of Tony's videos, but when he had a whole one on how important the pinion snubber was, (Hahahaha!) , that was it. Goodbye.
I can honestly say I've never watched one whole of his videos. But that's me. I don't have the long suffering. lol

Yep, "budget" implies small, but ain't necessarily so. What if the budget is $200k?

So excuse my lack of knowledge but when the engine braking is removed from the trans- (Low band apply??) does this eliminate the possibility of damage when letting off during a high rpm burnout in first gear? I know with a full reverse manual valve body and no engine braking the engine free wheels in first when you let off the gas. For this free wheeling to take place one must also have a high stall TC?

I honestly don't know the answer, whether it's safe or not. I dont ever do a burnout in first gear. Not ever. I know that with my two cars with no low band apply (freewheel in first) I don't EVER stand on it hard in first, pedal it, and then get back on the power, and CERTAINLY not in first.
Always start my burnout in second, shift to third in the water, and back out before the tires hook, still in third.
Daily drove a 440 6pack car with rmvb and a column shift for years. Had a stock 340 converter in it, drove great. The other car has a 5000 stahl.

Last edited:
Yep, "budget" implies small, but ain't necessarily so. What if the budget is $200k?
As far as im concerned "budget" means i have a certain amount of money to spend on a certain project, or in a certain time frame

It really is a moot point if that budget is 20k or 200k

In fact, a 22k dollar car on a 20k budget is more expensive then a 178k car on a 200k budget, because it costs more money then i had allotted for it

Not sure if you're comparing Dulcich and Freiburger with UTG but more for everyone else here, those guys know how to properly build an engine and car *when they want to*. Great examples are the F-Rod ('31 Ford with 572" BBC that ran in the 8's first time out) and the current version of the General Mayhem. When they do break stuff or do things wrong they own up to it with no reservations or blame on others and have entire episodes based on fixing and improving on their mistakes and then putting their creations to the test, usually with lots of abuse.

I'm not the biggest fan of the original Roadkill (don't hate it either) but Roadkill Garage and Engine Masters are great series for real-world hobbyists. They aren't experts at building full-on race engines but they don't claim to be. I hope to meet them at an event at some point and show them my Duster which has been built in a way similar to many of their projects.
b5cc6ba1-cba6-4c1f-b80d-76cbd47c2fbb.jpg

Reminds me when I pulled the interior out of a car and drove up to a car warsh sitting on a milk crate... good thing I had a hold of the steering wheel! Then I can think of the time to 71 demon I had I just got it drove around the block nailed it the freaking driver's door come undone! I got dragged down the street,I still had a hold of that damn wheel though! Got some road rash for that one, and ate part of one of my buddies neighbors chain link fences.

Reminds me when I pulled the interior out of a car and drove up to a car warsh sitting on a milk crate... good thing I had a hold of the steering wheel! Then I can think of the time to 71 demon I had I just got it drove around the block nailed it the freaking driver's door come undone! I got dragged down the street,I still had a hold of that damn wheel though! Got some road rash for that one, and ate part of one of my buddies neighbors chain link fences.
I would have paid to see that. I had 5 gallon bucket for a seat to pull my one car in and out of the garage years ago, but never left the alley behind my house LOL! My friends said I had "Bucket seats" LOL! I did drive a 69 Coronet through town with open headers to get a case of beer once...that was fun and loud LOL!

I would have paid to see that. I had 5 gallon bucket for a seat to pull my one car in and out of the garage years ago, but never left the alley behind my house LOL! My friends said I had "Bucket seats" LOL! I did drive a 69 Coronet through town with open headers to get a case of beer once...that was fun and loud LOL!
Heck yeah brother I drove my 68 Coronet built 383 Magnum 4-speed car around town with open headers and 4:56 gears with biased ply tires (off anothe Coronet, a four door, I bought for parts, for $300 in change, I borrowed from a friend, for about a week before I took 4:56 gears out! I used to roll my 66 satellite around with open headers too with my 340 in it none of my neighbors said it bothered them. I come home from the bar about 3:00 3:30 a.m. they said "I hear the sound, I know it's you, I know we're safe!"

NO, YES, NO.

That 318 at Nicks garage was it for me...that "oh to hell with it, it will run..." attitude didn't work out well for him. That engine could be used as the smoke machine for Kiss next end of the road tour...:)
I didn't like it either. It certainly wasn't one of his best moments.

I remember one time my friend was in front of me in his truck and we where on the far back in the woods and came around a corner on the dirt road and was pulled over by a Highway patrol.
I had no choice but to pull in behind him because he was pulling me with a chain.
The officer gave him a pretty good talking to because we did not have a straight pipe between the cars, then he came back to look at what I had going on and saw that I was sitting on a five gallon bucket and did not have a steering wheel but did have two sets of vice grips clamped to the steering shaft.
The patrolman shook his head and said he was leaving and never wanted to see us again.
That was about 30 years ago and we have never crossed paths again.

The whole deal was pretty stupid and it could have been much worse. The officer was actually pretty cool compared to how he could have been.

The short story is it was stupid on my part to agree to do it but I did.

Kinda like doing burnouts on wet pavement with about a big gulp of water with a 4000 pound plus car and I am guessing a 273 gear ratio.

There are plenty of mopar racers that must be completely unaware of the dangers of doing a rolling burnout with a 727 because you sure see plenty of them.

I remember one time my friend was in front of me in his truck and we where on the far back in the woods and came around a corner on the dirt road and was pulled over by a Highway patrol.
I had no choice but to pull in behind him because he was pulling me with a chain.
The officer gave him a pretty good talking to because we did not have a straight pipe between the cars, then he came back to look at what I had going on and saw that I was sitting on a five gallon bucket and did not have a steering wheel but did have two sets of vice grips clamped to the steering shaft.
The patrolman shook his head and said he was leaving and never wanted to see us again.
That was about 30 years ago and we have never crossed paths again.

The whole deal was pretty stupid and it could have been much worse. The officer was actually pretty cool compared to how he could have been.

The short story is it was stupid on my part to agree to do it but I did.

Kinda like doing burnouts on wet pavement with about a big gulp of water with a 4000 pound plus car and I am guessing a 273 gear ratio.
I've used vice grips to shift a four speed before.. but I've never used them on a steering wheel that's a pretty good one!

I didn't like it either. It certainly wasn't one of his best moments.
It was his attitude afterward, he was like "it wasn't me" he had a sticker with his name on the oil pan to take credit if it came out good. he is the senior adult he should have mentored Lunar better. It's like mentally tony is 17 years old. Lunar went down to TN from NY on Tony's request, I believe lunar said he wasn't ready, Tony was like don't worry about it it will be fine I have parts..." yeah the block was junk then to hone it for hours? I think most everyone knows you can hone a cylinder to where the rings won't seal and its easy enough to figure out measuring ring gaps. But anyway if you have time its all out there on video. Lunar was fairly quiet out of respect for Tony, but over time he started telling the story, probably because Tony ghosted him. The young guys these days are smart, but they still need to be properly mentored on these old car builds. Alot of money was dumped on that build and Tony laughed it off because it wasn't out of his pocket it's irresponsible on his part, and only for clicks on YT and it could have been a proper use of the money spent it was a fail due to ignorance and not doing things right. I have to speak out when people say how great a guy Tony is ,it just isn't true and the proof is out there.

Last edited:
It was his attitude, he was like "it wasn't me" he had a sticker with his name on it to take credit if it came out good. he is the senior adult he should have mentored Lunar better. It's like mentally he is 17 years old. Lunar went down to TN from NY on Tony's request, I believe lunar said he wasn't ready, Tony was like don't worry about it it will be fine I have parts..." yeah the block was junk then to hone it for hours? I think most everyone knows you can hone a cylinder to where the rings won't seal and its easy enough to figure out measuring ring gaps. But anyway if you have time its all out there on video. Lunar was fairly quiet out of respect for Tony, but over time he started telling the story, probably because Tony ghosted him. The young guys these days are smart, but they still need to be properly mentored on these old car builds.

I can't bring myself to watch it.. but... hone for hours? as in sitting there with a drill and a bead or stone hone going up and down for hours? to achieve what though? if it was that bad it needed to be machined. was he trying to do a backyard .010 over?

-
Back