UTG 727 destruction

-
So where was this an uncle Tony fault?

It's not, but the amount of fail carnage that seems to hover around all of His projects has got His critics set on response "kill" mode, lol.

Standing around looking at it....will get it fixed real quick.
Unfortunately, I've known & worked with too many adults that take such childish amusement in these things, it's entertainment to them I guess. Co-worker at dealership I was working at tried picking up a Silverado(fairly long in the tooth), loaded with salt & a spreader w/a full hopper, by the frame in front of the leaves. You guessed it, the frame folded & the rear of the truck turned it into a dump bed. They all stood around laughing like kids at Disneyland, I'm shocked they didn't pose for pictures, moronic. Guy was a hard worker, & decent Dude otherwise, but Ya couldn't see that comin'? Parts guy laughed & commented on it, I just kept workin' and said "that never should've happened". Luckily, the guy worked for the owners, & they eventually replaced the truck with a Dodge. But another tech put the Chebby on the 4-post, then spent a couple hours heating & beating the frame 'till it came back to Earth.

I don't watch EVERY video from the channel anymore but I did watch this in the morning while I was getting ready for work.

No one really expected that to happen. Just one of those things you don't know is going to happen until it does.

I won't fund that idiocy, anybody got cliff notes as to how it went.
Was it being Neutral dropped, burn out or something or just driving.

Or is that **** spread out for visual effect in the picture. There are usually a lot of holes in sheet metal and windows when they let loose.

Or is that **** spread out for visual effect in the picture. There are usually a lot of holes in sheet metal and windows when they let loose.
I notice UTG still has his legs and possibly his testicles still.

Best I could tell they were doing a burnout and just jumped on the gas in first and it let go.

No, this wasn't directly Tony's fault but he has the juvenile "c'mon, man do a burnout..." mentality. I get it, I blew my moms automatic when I was 17 listening to someone telling me the same thing...but I learned from that experience then. In my opinion, that Chrysler should have been able to do a burnout. There was something wrong with that trans and it would have died at some point anyway. Tony did the same with his "neutral drop" video with Slag hammer. With this one I saw he put water down tony is starting to learn and that's a good thing. I didn't watch the whole video ( in fact I didn't watch at all, I had heard from another source) if Tony got a woody over it...oh well, still acting like a dumb kid at another's expense... but like said that guy was going to have to rebuild it anyway real soon Either way Tony isn't paying its just clickbait for his channel. His viewers can sit back and laugh at Chrysler guy for being an idiot and now he has to pay to fix his car...LOL! real funny :) (actually it is not, these days parts aren't cheap and down time is twice what it was if you are sending it out to a shop, one thing fo rsure is if the guy had a warranty I bet it didn't cover "beating on the transmission" proof is now on YT)

Last edited:

It looked to me like he rolled the sprag on the first burnout. That first BO was pretty weak so they got the bright idea to get some water under the tire so they could smoke them like a Philly blunt.

As soon as he got the tires loose in the water and stepped down hard on the throttle it **** itself all over the parking lot.

If you watch it I think you‘ll agree they rolled the sprag on the first BO then put the kill shot in it in the water.

I'm a 4 speed guy, is there an instance where the aluminum cases on these are so old that they cant be rebuilt any more? doesn't the sprag "spline in" to the case? I am vaguely familiar with the insides of a TF but it probably has been since the 90s that I've been in one. I may be thinking of the GM Turbo 350 with the center support splining in to the case.

It goes without saying that i think that Chrysler would be badass with a 4 speed even being the heavy car that is is...:)

I'm a 4 speed guy, is there an instance where the aluminum cases on these are so old that they cant be rebuilt any more? doesn't the sprag "spline in" to the case? I am vaguely familiar with the insides of a TF but it probably has been since the 90s that I've been in one. I may be thinking of the GM Turbo 350 with the center support splining in to the case.

It goes without saying that i think that Chrysler would be badass with a 4 speed even being the heavy car that is is...:)
not a clue, but i seem to remember hearing that when you are building a 727 for a vehicle that does a lot of burnouts (think of warming up the tires for a dragrace) you would want to replace the stock sprag with a bolt in one

not a clue, but i seem to remember hearing that when you are building a 727 for a vehicle that does a lot of burnouts (think of warming up the tires for a dragrace) you would want to replace the stock sprag with a bolt in one
They are pressed in on a 727 ... riveted in on a 904 which is why you never see this with a 904.

A bolt in sprag is the only way to go whenever building a 727 for any application. I've seen them go out like this in RVs.

The sprag is not the real issue. It's the drum. The sprag failing creates the issue where the drum fails. If the drum was built better, the sprag failure would be moot. 904's don't have this issue. There have been explosions of billet druims in 727's, they are rare though.

Generally the sprag ring doesn't spin, the rollers and springs get shocked/smashed up and all detent is lost to hold the rear drum. Then the front drum can go on it's merry way above about 12K rpm, reach critical mass and boom.

Poor burnout technique, letting the tires bite while still in the throttle in first gear out of a burnout, breaking an axle/driveshaft, rear gear can roll the sprag making the "safety"/design feature of the sprag disappear. A low band apply valve body can help, not a guarantee to save a sprag.

The sprag is not the real issue. It's the drum. The sprag failing creates the issue where the drum fails. If the drum was built better, the sprag failure would be moot. 904's don't have this issue. There have been explosions of billet druims in 727's, they are rare though.

Generally the sprag ring doesn't spin, the rollers and springs get shocked/smashed up and all detent is lost to hold the rear drum. Then the front drum can go on it's merry way above about 12K rpm, reach critical mass and boom.

Poor burnout technique, letting the tires bite while still in the throttle in first gear out of a burnout, breaking an axle/driveshaft, rear gear can roll the sprag making the "safety"/design feature of the sprag disappear. A low band apply valve body can help, not a guarantee to save a sprag.
Yes, & there is a recent thread linking to Cope's vid & explanation of this. Even if You have band apply in manual low, if You shift into 2nd w/o a manual VB & roll-out & the tires bite, the trans shocks the sprag when it kicks back to 1st. So, full manual or stay in 1st, AND this combo if any ever did screams billet drum. It was supposedly "just built" for this car, there's the real muck-up....

Just listening to the first part of the video I had to look hard to see if he had a cummins in that thing.

-
Back