V8 in a 63

-
If you haven't bought the engine yet, see if someone has installed a 5.2L Magnum V-8. They have a much shorter distributor which might clear the hump. If you use EDIS ignition w/ a toothed crank wheel, like many on megasquirt site, you don't need a distributor. Also need an early V-8 steering cross-link and 64-66 oil pan (or dent yours). Some say most 1966's had the V-8 cross-link (even slants). It drops ~1/2" lower.

If you haven't bought the engine yet, see if someone has installed a 5.2L Magnum V-8. They have a much shorter distributor which might clear the hump. If you use EDIS ignition w/ a toothed crank wheel, like many on megasquirt site, you don't need a distributor. Also need an early V-8 steering cross-link and 64-66 oil pan (or dent yours). Some say most 1966's had the V-8 cross-link (even slants). It drops ~1/2" lower.
What model of 5.2 all models are just certain ones........

5.2L = 318 cu in. I understand the 5.2L block is interchangeable w/ an earlier 318 block, but has roller lifters. The differences are in components - crank pickup, serpentine belt. I understand you could bolt a 64-66 273 oil pan to a 5.2L, for steering clearance. Not true for a 5.9L (360 cu in) since the aft bearing block hump is larger. With any small-block, you could install a custom 36-1 crank trigger wheel. I did so on my 1965 273, mounting it on the crank pulley, w/ Ford pickup off the water pump bolts. Haven't used it yet. But, to get spark timing, you need a controller (megasquirt, etc).

5.2L = 318 cu in. I understand the 5.2L block is interchangeable w/ an earlier 318 block, but has roller lifters. The differences are in components - crank pickup, serpentine belt. I understand you could bolt a 64-66 273 oil pan to a 5.2L, for steering clearance. Not true for a 5.9L (360 cu in) since the aft bearing block hump is larger. With any small-block, you could install a custom 36-1 crank trigger wheel. I did so on my 1965 273, mounting it on the crank pulley, w/ Ford pickup off the water pump bolts. Haven't used it yet. But, to get spark timing, you need a controller (megasquirt, etc).
What about using the 5.2 distb.what about the timing do they have the advance in them or they controlled by the computer,I looked one up and they are shorter but i was wonderin about the advance in them do they even have one......

What about using the 5.2 distb.what about the timing do they have the advance in them or they controlled by the computer,I looked one up and they are shorter but i was wonderin about the advance in them do they even have one......
I got me a 5.2 distb. but how would you make it work don't have anything in it but it would be short enough.THANKS

The 5.2 distributor will not work with a 1960-70's ignition system. It does have a pickup, but that is a "cam sensor", and not used to produce each spark. I think it is just a "binary" signal to tell if #1 cyl is on the compression or exhaust stroke, and probably Hall-effect type. Spark timing for each cylinder comes off a "crank sensor" which monitors the "toner ring" slots (part of flex-plate). Re centrifugal and vacuum advance, ever since the 1980's that is done within an electronic "spark computer" (aka "lean burn" box), which later moved into the "engine computer" (or "PCM"). If you want to use the 5.2L distributor, you also need the engine computer and all sensors. Not terribly hard since it is can all be removed with the engine.

I put the engine in the car without the distributor in it but I had the distributor whole blocked off or covered up. then I worked on pulling the firewall area back that was intrusive to hitting the distributor and I would test fit it by dropping in distributor in to see how much more I needed to go. Partial bump was still there and wipers still hooked up and worked fine.
Thanks Valiant 63, I done what you said and it went back real easy and have plenty of room without any cutting or anything,And the HEI distributor works fine just wanted to tell you that the only way to fix it and the easiest and thank you again,And if you are on Facebook my name is Jeff Greer i would like to have you as a friend.

No cutting needed. Just push the fire wall back a little bit
63 with a 360 4 speed.QU
No cutting needed. Just push the fire wall back a little bit
63 with a 360 4 speed

View attachment 1715030413

By the way, this guy's 360 4 speed car was once mine that I modified here in Florida ten or so years ago and had to part with it when I got divorced. It is a mint green 63 Valiant two door. I had a 318 auto in it with 1966 steering column shifter. Joe changed it after he got it from me to a four speed and a 340 at first, I do think.

-
Back