V8 K Frame?

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 6 cylinder K frame in my car with Schumacher conversion mounts. The car is a 70 Dart with a 318 and 904 with all factory style steering and suspension it has a front sway bar with manual steering and power Kelsey Hayes disk brakes. The only thing abnormal about the steering / suspension is that I have the car about 2 inches lower than factory spec.

I plan on doing a full front end rebuild, including new 1.03 torsion bars. When I do the front end rebuild I will put in some good headers at the same time, probably Doug's.

Here's my question: Is there any reason I should put in a V8 K frame when I do the front end rebuild? Would it be better than the 6 cylinder K frame in any way?

Last edited:
Nope, stay with the 6 K frame. A v8 k frame isn't any stronger or anything like that.

However, if you had one laying around, I'd reinforce it with some metal/weld and put that in, if you had the engine out...

Right, I've seen guys weld up the seams and reinforce in some key places. That sounds like a good idea.

I have to wonder why ma mopar would have used different K frames? My 318 sits perfectly on the 6 cylinder frame with the conversion mounts. Why didn't they just use 1 K frame and compensate with the motor mounts?

First thing that comes to mind is the pizzy little finger of a mount point on most sideways 4 cyl. blocks. I know that is a engineered point of failure. That engine will immediately drop down at collision for safety reasons.
Without knowing what considerations were taken in yesteryears, we could speculate all day as to why we have different engine attach points on these K members. Even how the assembly would handle and balance in their material handling equipment on the assembly line could have been a consideration.

Also look into welding in a lower control arm strengthening plate. Running a /6 k frame with my 340 and no issues. Not sure if its that much of an issue on the 318 but it seems they like to pull out of the drivers side mount. Had to install a torque strap to solve the issue.
Thats the result of doing multiple 4500 launches

Ha ha, I'm sure my little 'teener isn't making any more than 300 HP, so I don't have to worry about the motor wanting to roll itself over!

I looked up those control arm plates and they seem like a good idea too. Thanks for the tip!

Hey guys,

I have a 6 cylinder K frame in my car with Schumacher conversion mounts. The car is a 70 Dart with a 318 and 904 with all factory style steering and suspension it has a front sway bar with manual steering and power Kelsey Hayes disk brakes. The only thing abnormal about the steering / suspension is that I have the car about 2 inches lower than factory spec.

I plan on doing a full front end rebuild, including new 1.03 torsion bars. When I do the front end rebuild I will put in some good headers at the same time, probably Doug's.

Here's my question: Is there any reason I should put in a V8 K frame when I do the front end rebuild? Would it be better than the 6 cylinder K frame in any way?

bigest point is not frame u have cash spend point is lift torsion bars crank urs up cheep and u getting hurt v8 6 mounts they stand b hind, sway bars hold up all u own and hold v8 as 6 bars ar more than a 6 or 8 ****.....

point these nuts offer mounts so they must b good point they donot say is weight sway bars u can crank up they break u die im i wrong get new k fframe and torsion bars . b safe. 6 is 6 stuff 8 and a k frame is better or do what u want but 8 and weight may b better buy and a

-
Back