Vacuum port

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
Have a question about connecting the vacuum advance. Do all small block electronic distributors connect to the Timed Vacuum outlet on an Edlebrock carb? I'm assuming they do but I just want to make sure. Also I have overheating problems at idle and a local radiator shop owner has looked at it and thinks it can be fixed by recurving my distributor. I've tried everything else. Thanks.

I ran the full manifold vacuum on my eddie carb when i ran the vac advance. Vac advane and how i had open exhaust for awhile didn't mix well so i just went away with it.

Overheating at idle? How hot? How is your idle mixture? Timing? Do you have a fan shroud?

I run the ported vacuum on my vacuum advance, that is the purpose of the ported vacuum port. Timing and idle mixture won't make your car overheat. You couldn't get your engine lean enough and still idle for it to overheat. You either have a fan/shroud air flow problem or a coolant flow problem.

Chuck

Valiant72 said:
Have a question about connecting the vacuum advance. Do all small block electronic distributors connect to the Timed Vacuum outlet on an Edlebrock carb? I'm assuming they do but I just want to make sure. Also I have overheating problems at idle and a local radiator shop owner has looked at it and thinks it can be fixed by recurving my distributor. I've tried everything else. Thanks.

I agree with 340mopar. It's not the timing or idle mixture. When you say you've tried everything else what does that consist of?

I replaced the radiator with one for a 340 with A/C, new hoses, water pump belt and thermostat. Put on a shroud and electric pusher fan and seven blade fan. I've ran out of things. Runs at 180 at crusing speed but at idle it goes to 210 with the ambient at 70-75 deg. I checked the initial timing today and found it way off and set it at 8 deg. The hose to the vacuum advance had a split at the inlet. It's a '79 lean burn 360 that I changed to a stock distributor with an orance box, Performer manifold and Edelbrock carb and a Summit cam with 214/224 duration at .050". I did drive it today and it never got above 190 but it was only fifty outside. I would think recurving the distributor would still be a good idea. I've never had one done before. What do you guys think?

First of all the dist should go to the ported vacuum port.
Things to check:
What is the condition of the radiator?Has it been rotted out?
Heater core?
To far advanced timing?
Car running to lean?
I had the same problem on my 65,had the radiator serviced,problem solved.
The passage ways on the inside get clogged with setiment,crap what ever you want to call it and stops the coolant system from working properly.

Also,if you are going to use a electric fan,a puller is better than a pusher.A pusher blocks air flow area on the front of the radiator.

I'm going with the radiator...........

if its for a 340, 318, whatever.... how many rows? flow test? use only milodon or mr gasket thermostats. they guarantee to open within 3 degrees of its rated temp. use the 180*. stants are a joke. are you using a hi flow water pump? that and stock stats are a problem. most stats open against the flow of water and the milodon/mrgasket ones open with the flow of water. the extra flow of the hi flow w/p can actually shut the stock stats. get that pusher out of there. with a good built rad you should have no problem with the fan you have.

It sounds like a water flow problem. I would check the clearances inside the water pump, they sound like they are large. There are two different water pumps, a 6 impeller and an 8 impeller. If you have the 6 in the car put in the 8 and it will flow more water, you will though loose a little power but you probably couldn't notice it. Also I have seen a plate that gets attached to the impeller that is supposed to help flow. I have not tried one of these so I do not know how well they work.

Chuck

Thanks guys. The radiator is a new 2 core for an A/C 340. The guy from FBO Radiator has been really good about telling me somethings to try before I might buy a aluminum radaitor from him. I'll have to look at the water pump. I just asked for one for an A/C car and figured it would flow the most. The good news is I'm already bald so I can't pull any more hair out!!

-
Back