Vacuum Reservoir Plumbing Help Needed

-

packin3deuces

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dart Swinger with Factory A/C. It was apart when I got it and I am now trying to plumb the vacuum lines to the vacuum reservoir so that my heater/AC switches function properly.

I have included pictures of the reservoir, along with a close up of its attachment sites. A picture of the vacuum lines exiting the firewall shows an intact line (black/green) and a line that has been cut. I also show pictures of my vacuum advance on the distributor and my center six pack carb with a 3/8 (lower) and 5/16 (upper) hose attachment sites.

My question is, how do I plumb this thing to work properly with what I have shown in the pictures. Thanks for your help. :salute:

Easy one

Cutoff black hose goes goes to bottom of reservoir
Green striped hose goes to hot water shut off valve in heater hose.
Top of reservoir is a bigger hose that goes to intake manifold for engine vacuum.

AC.jpg

What difference does it make? With a Six-Pack running wide open, you're not gonna have any manifold vacuum anyway:-D

Easy one

Cutoff black hose goes goes to bottom of reservoir
Green striped hose goes to hot water shut off valve in heater hose.
Top of reservoir is a bigger hose that goes to intake manifold for engine vacuum.

AC.jpg

Thanks for your response Yellowdartdave. Unfortunately, my intake manifold doesn't have any vacuum ports! Can I use any other vacuum source? And if so which one?

Thanks Yellowdartdave. With your help I was able to plumb my vacuum lines. First 2 pictures are before and last 2 are after Yellowdartdaves help. Thanks again. :cheers:

Attachments

• DSC00231.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC00222.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC00242.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC00241.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 576
Would anyone be able to give me a detailed, step-by-step procedure in troubleshooting the vacuum reservoir,the control valve,and the vacuum hoses between each of them to the heater/AC controls in the dash?It is exactly as shown in the OP's photos.Hopefully,without removing anything from the dash to get access to the controls?
My son just bought a beautiful 73 Valiant.The heater was blowing cold air.Though I know nothing about the new car or it's heating/cooling system,I recognized that there was no movement in the arm of the control valve under the hood when he messed with the controls.I manually changed the position of the control valve arm,and got heat.When we returned home,I shut the heater off and turned the car off.Twenty minutes later, when I checked,the position of that arm on the control valve had reverted to the original closed position.Can anyone walk me through this?Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Check the vacumm line on the hot water valve in the engine compartment. With engine running, there should be no vacumm on that line in heat position.
If there is vac, you have a control problem. If there is no vac, and still no hot water flow, you have a valve problem. The valve could be bad, or it might be the wrong valve. These type valves come in two configurations, one is open with vac, the other is closed with vac. you need closed with vac.
If you wish send me a PM, and I will give you my phone number, and can posibly explain better.

I have been looking for this information....glad we all have common problems!!!

Have you read the AC section in the service manual?

Download one here towards the end of the thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Index page 24-14

Page 24-42 is start of evap section for Dart, and goes through the controls graphically. You need to read through it. These diagrams are page 24-44, show the various vacuum actions

Attachments

• diag1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 700
  • diag2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 436
Also not trying to hijack but I'm in the same boat. I have a '74 Dart with a 225 /6 and factory ac/heat. Should I have a vacuum reservoir too? There wasn't one when I got the car a month ago.

Check your other thread for advice you needed. Yes all AC cars had vacuum reservoirs. It'll work without it as long as you connect the vacuum lines up the right way but will do weird stuff going up hills.

You can get one pretty easily from a member here since most people pulled them off (in error).

-
Back