Vansauto Ebay fuel sending units ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a fuel tank sending unit on ebay from a seller called " vansautollc" ? They have Stainless units, with lock ring and seal . For what MIGHT be a good price. I said might because I'm sure that they are made in china.
So tell be what you my know about their sending units, Thanks

The lock rings don't work and the sender is not all that accurate. Though its my understanding that none of the replacement senders are accurate.

I bought it and adjusted the sending unit. Works fine. However the ring and gasket is too thin. I just the old ring and it works well for me.

I bought 5/16 sender from vans on ebay about 6 years ago. I didn't buy the stainless one. Haven't had a problem with it.

Vans Auto is a reputable Mopar parts dealer. They have a large display at the big Mopar shows. As magnumdust stated, re-pop senders aren't accurate right out of the box. tmm

I bought the 3/8" one from them about 6 years ago--a little inaccurate, but it keeps me from running dry otherwise, no issues when installed in a new tank...also from Vans...also installed a new grounding strap.

EDIT: to expand on the inaccuracy, when it indicates 1/4 tank on my Scamp, the tank only takes about 7-8 gals to fill up. I'm pretty sure the tank is 14 gals empty, so it is inaccurate, but like mentioned, I've never been left dry on the side of the road-so I'll deal with it.

What does an original one register ohms wise at full, and at empty? If the aftermarket one is off from these numbers how do you calibrate it to read correctly?

I bought one of their 1/2" pick-ups. I agree the gauge is off, wasn't sure if it was my car or a common problem until now. I ended up doubling up the gaskets on mine ( didn't know I should have stole or reused the original lock ring ) its been working leak free for a couple years.

Same deal. Great seller, reprehensible product.

I guess I was just lucky...that being said, something tells me, he's selling the same ones available at most parts outlets. I haven't tried, but something tells me the dealerships don't stock a 40 year old sending unit, so you gotta get what you can...

What does an original one register ohms wise at full, and at empty? If the aftermarket one is off from these numbers how do you calibrate it to read correctly?

According to the Chilton's tech manual I had squirreled away in my garage (1975), it's 73-12 ohms...which happens to be the same as 79-85 Mustangs...so I was able to re-purpose an old AutoMeter Phantom fuel level gage. Like I said though, after I put it all together, it is off...when it hits 1/4, it's closer to 1/2. If the needle is on E, I probably still have a couple gallons left...kind of a blessing in disguise IMO

I bought the 3/8" one from them about 6 years ago--a little inaccurate, but it keeps me from running dry otherwise, no issues when installed in a new tank...also from Vans...also installed a new grounding strap.

EDIT: to expand on the inaccuracy, when it indicates 1/4 tank on my Scamp, the tank only takes about 7-8 gals to fill up. I'm pretty sure the tank is 14 gals empty, so it is inaccurate, but like mentioned, I've never been left dry on the side of the road-so I'll deal with it.

I have a repop in my 68 with a 18 gal tank. I've run it out of gas and it will only take 12.5 gallons of gas. I've put 16.5 gallons in the same tank with my OE pickup.

My gauge accurate. When I fill it, it show just past the full mark. When its flat out empty it right at the Empty mark.

My pickup is in the wrong place and not deep enough to get the gas in the tank it should be.

I wonder if people are thinking their gauge is inaccurate because their cars are taking so little gas at the 1/4 and 1/8 empty marks. When the gauge is actually correct and accurate. The gauge is telling you that it will suck no more gas when the gauge reads empty. (even though there's over 4 more gallons still in the tank)

A 72 and 73 Scamp tank is 16 gallons empty.

Only having a driving range of 7-8 gallons has got to be annoying.

I bought my 3/8" one from vans about a year ago. Have not used it yet. I got a long way to go before i install it. I intend to check it with an ohm meter.

Id say its better than nothing. My original was the small tube /6 one and was corroded and rusted to ****, along with the gas tank. Only thing salvagable was the filler neck tube, and the tank strap.

If it shows empty at 1/4 tank left, who cares.

My 66 had a new tank and sending unit when I bought it over 2 years ago. Gauge didn't work so I did the external voltage regulator upgrade.

Gauge started working but like MoparMat, mine read empty with a 1/4 tank of gas left. Reads 3/4 when tank is full. I pulled the sending unit and it ohm'd out good.

Eventually I'll have the gauge rebuilt...until then I know I'm still good when it gets to empty.

I got my tank, sender, and parts from Gastanks.com. It was off too!
http://www.gastanks.com/

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the float arm be a bit longer to correct the problem or is it the resistance of the coil?

The float arm is too short.

And the pickup to too high to reach gas near the bottom of the tank.

fuelpups.jpg

I have a repop in my 68 with a 18 gal tank. I've run it out of gas and it will only take 12.5 gallons of gas. I've put 16.5 gallons in the same tank with my OE pickup.

My gauge accurate. When I fill it, it show just past the full mark. When its flat out empty it right at the Empty mark.

My pickup is in the wrong place and not deep enough to get the gas in the tank it should be.

I wonder if people are thinking their gauge is inaccurate because their cars are taking so little gas at the 1/4 and 1/8 empty marks. When the gauge is actually correct and accurate. The gauge is telling you that it will suck no more gas when the gauge reads empty. (even though there's over 4 more gallons still in the tank)

A 72 and 73 Scamp tank is 16 gallons empty.

Only having a driving range of 7-8 gallons has got to be annoying.

Meh, as I said earlier, I'm not upset or terribly concerned about it. When I bought the tank and pick-up together, I mocked them up to ensure the it was at the bottom of the tank, since I could see it clearly from the filler neck. The pick-up sock was touching/laying on the bottom, so I'm all but certain it would bounce of the E before I actually ran out of gas. When I fill it, it's above the F, when it's empty, I probably put in between 10-11 gals. After I got used to the fact that 1/4 tank was actually closer to a half, it was actually kind of a relief knowing I could run it down close to empty...as a fringe benefit, I knew my better half wouldn't try to drive it if she saw an empty tank...because for some stupid f****** reason, she doesn't go to the damned gas station to fill up the tank in ANY of our vehicles and just "lets" me do it. (mini-rant over)

Anyway, I know it goes much farther than just 7-8 gallons will take me, so I'm just glad to have SOME kind of indication, even if it isn't quite right.

the longer of the senders would bounce the float against the bottom of the tank eventually wearing a hole in the float. You'll need to do some bending on the shorter sender design to get that result if that's what you want.

-
Back