verizon are such jerks

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have a galaxy s3 that is locked to verizion ...but verizon wont do a pre-paid sim card without charging up the nose.

so what i was going to do:

the phone has the ice cream sandwhich 4.0.4 .....uggh what a farce OS so i rooted it and with the superuser access downloaded the ez unlock app to unlock boot loader

then now im in the process of upgrading it to jelly bean OS 4.1.1
with that i should be able to manually kick it out of CDMA mode and into GSM so that i can use a T-mobile sim card. the last time i manually put it in GSM mode the data packets didnt work and i know there is a way to make a partition and load titanium or similar app to get the data packets to work.

this is all without ODEN.

i remember using ODEN to hack into a galaxy S2 ...worked like a dream

after i have jelly bean 4.1.1 i was going to attempt to jelly bean root and load the update 4.1.2

has anyone ever upgraded to 4.1.2 yet? any issues
anyone know if i can skip 4.1.1 and upgrade directly to jellybean 4.1.2 from the ice cream sandwhich??

Verizion really are jerks bcoz i wouldnt have to go through all this if it were an AT&T or T-Mobile phone and if verizion would work pre-paid sims the way T-mobile does.

i refuse to give Verizion any money when they are sooo exclusive with the sim unlocks ......once they sell us the phones it should be our business what we do with them .....somehow Verizion still thinks they own the phones even afrer they sell them to us :banghead:

Rani the issue I see id that they just )a couple of days ago) made it illegal to jaibreak your phone. An excerpt from and article I read the other day.

"In the U.S. there is, however, a new legal issue that makes jailbreaking potentially a huge risk: Once a cellphone is jailbroken it can be "unlocked," meaning it can be used with any carrier, and that has just become a crime.
The wretched Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA) made it illegal to use hardware or software to remove copyright protection from copyrighted works. The DMCA has provisions for granting exceptions and these are managed by the Library of Congress. The LoC granted an exception to unlocking cellphones because unlocking has nothing to do with copyright. But, the forces of big business applied the political thumbscrews and, as of Jan. 26, due to prodding by "CTIA -The Wireless Association," the Library of Congress revised its position and eliminated that exemption for phones purchased after 2012.
Now, should you decide to jailbreak and then unlock your own brand new cellphone -- one that you own outright -- you could be taken to court and fined. And if you are one of the many businesses offering unlocking services or software, you could find yourself facing criminal charges under the [ame="http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-105publ304/pdf/PLAW-105publ304.pdf"]DMCA[/ame] subsection 1204 "Criminal offenses and penalties":
(a) IN GENERAL.Any person who violates section 1201 or 1202 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain
(1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and
(2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense"

I like Ice Cream sandwiches and jelly Beans...

unbelieveable that the one country on the planet that advocates freedom to the end wont let you unlock your phone which is your own property.

everywhere else in the world gives an option to unlock or they come already unlocked when new.

talk about a fat cat in washington getting greased real good by the cell phone carriers to pass a ridiculous law, and to give big business a license to stick it to you.

in order to hold up in a court they would have to prove you actually did it .....so companys yes but a joe schmo on the street .....would never hold up.......idk Mr. judge ....i found the phone on a chair in the laundry and it was already unlocked.....or what does does unlocked mean..IDK. LOL

Rani the excuse they are using is that you are hacking "their" software/ firmware, and you never actually "own" either. Same idea, if you are a programmer, it's illegal to improve Microshaft or any other software which is not "open source" on your own.

Many of the ham (amateur radio operators) pretty much hate Motorola over the same thing. Even if I was to find an old, out of date Motorola radio and figure out a way to "hack" the firmware, it is (in some cases) considered illegal under Motorola licensing. Now bear in mind that this concerns a device which is obsolete and has no real commercial/ public service use or value.

I have not kept up on the B.S. that "is" cell phones/ devices. It's way way too complicated for me to understand.

Rani the excuse they are using is that you are hacking "their" software/ firmware, and you never actually "own" either. Same idea, if you are a programmer, it's illegal to improve Microshaft or any other software which is not "open source" on your own.

Many of the ham (amateur radio operators) pretty much hate Motorola over the same thing. Even if I was to find an old, out of date Motorola radio and figure out a way to "hack" the firmware, it is (in some cases) considered illegal under Motorola licensing. Now bear in mind that this concerns a device which is obsolete and has no real commercial/ public service use or value.

I have not kept up on the B.S. that "is" cell phones/ devices. It's way way too complicated for me to understand.

well then thats the clause to stay out of trouble....this is not hacking software .....that is illeagal in some cases and not a nice thing to do.

what im doing is re-loading a new operating systen on a device and both operating systems are readily available by samsung company.

but excessive setting mods are required to make the device perform as it should in the first place.

i can get into "hacking" having been exposed to light duty software engineering back home.......which is the capital of tech support and software enginerring, but im really just manipulating operating systems and settings to make it do what i want.

Can I send you Nella's computer so you can "unlock" the video of "The Gauntlet"???LOL!! I won't charge you with a crime or anything, I'll just concede you as the winner of the dash-off!!!:thumbup:

Wow Rani, you sure sound like you know your way around these electronics, and probably a lot more things too!!! Alas, the days of dial phones are now officially OVER!!! Geof

i have a galaxy s3 that is locked to verizion ...but verizon wont do a pre-paid sim card without charging up the nose.

so what i was going to do:

the phone has the ice cream sandwhich 4.0.4 .....uggh what a farce OS so i rooted it and with the superuser access downloaded the ez unlock app to unlock boot loader

then now im in the process of upgrading it to jelly bean OS 4.1.1
with that i should be able to manually kick it out of CDMA mode and into GSM so that i can use a T-mobile sim card. the last time i manually put it in GSM mode the data packets didnt work and i know there is a way to make a partition and load titanium or similar app to get the data packets to work.

this is all without ODEN.

i remember using ODEN to hack into a galaxy S2 ...worked like a dream

after i have jelly bean 4.1.1 i was going to attempt to jelly bean root and load the update 4.1.2

has anyone ever upgraded to 4.1.2 yet? any issues
anyone know if i can skip 4.1.1 and upgrade directly to jellybean 4.1.2 from the ice cream sandwhich??

Verizion really are jerks bcoz i wouldnt have to go through all this if it were an AT&T or T-Mobile phone and if verizion would work pre-paid sims the way T-mobile does.

i refuse to give Verizion any money when they are sooo exclusive with the sim unlocks ......once they sell us the phones it should be our business what we do with them .....somehow Verizion still thinks they own the phones even afrer they sell them to us :banghead:

WOW.......thx Rani. As you know, my phone was recently lost/stolen :protest:

Most of this info is WAY over my head, but interesting.......

Is Verizon the only company that already had this policy in place before the new law?

I don't understand how the Library of Congress has any unchecked regulatory power whatsoever...And yes, the Library of Congress is the body that controls what is and is not allowed under DMCA regulations.

Rani I just did the upgrade on my note to jellybean you can use Odin then download Google apps 4 it all works awesome I'll find the links I used so you can do it I changed mine to straight talk service only 45 a month for unlimited everything best way to go and you can set it up to tether for free via an app

Also boosted my GPU to 1.8 it is only 1.2 stock also it is not illegal if you are no longer on contract and don't make any monetary gain from it

Here isa screen shot of the kernel and other info

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-01-22-36-57.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 132
and it worked ....i did a partition and flashed the update for jelly bean 4.1.2......it took forever to download the update and i had to download a different zip extractor .....

when it rebooted it froze the computer and i paniced thinking i bricked the device ......but i just left it and after about 15 mins and i heard the phone reboot on its own and went to check it and sure enough jelly bean was updating and finishing the install .

after that i switched it from CDMA mode to GSM mode and it made and recieved calls using cousin's T- Mobile sim card :cheers::cheers:

so now all i need to do is get my own pre-paid Sim card from T-mobile and Ranio is live LOL

Thanks for your very difficult software Verizon, but you still have to get up pretty early in the morning to get over on some ppl :finga::finga:

Attachments

• CIMG2105.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 101
oops almost forgot ...i still have root jelly bean 4.1.2 to get my superuser icon back.......then i can have fun with the apps LOL

Here in Canada Virgin Mobile has been offering to unlock competitors phones over the net or walk you through doing it yourself in order to sell you there Sim and switch you over to them , they have almost no hardware available in most markets here anymore due to the speed we keep changing platforms at so they figured out it was simpler to bring you in with the hardware that is available through their competitors , your only violating copyright law if you crack their system and use it, wiping their kernal and replacing it completely should be enough to skirt the DCMA .

Here in Canada Virgin Mobile has been offering to unlock competitors phones over the net or walk you through doing it yourself in order to sell you there Sim and switch you over to them , they have almost no hardware available in most markets here anymore due to the speed we keep changing platforms at so they figured out it was simpler to bring you in with the hardware that is available through their competitors , your only violating copyright law if you crack their system and use it, wiping their kernal and replacing it completely should be enough to skirt the DCMA .

Sim unlocking is not typically hard to do ......had this been a T-mobile or At&t phone i could have paid $20. and got an unlock code from ebay......T-mobile will often give you an unlock code if your in good standing and just ask them.

thats why i have a problem with verizon ....they have developed purpose built software to prevent you from unlocking ....then to add insult to injury ....if you walk into a verizon store with a verizon device ...they wont just sell you a SIM card without a contract and they want you to get a new device....the way they are making it is so that the devices are throw-away after your contract is up.
if you do get a new sim under contract with verizon they want to charge more for use in a smartphone.....they told me $50. a month PLUS $40. a month extra if you use it in a smartphone and thats under two year contract.

T-mobile will sell you a pre-paid sim card and its not any extra if you use it in a smartphone, regular phone, or jam it in the side of a banana ....its the same price.

why federal regs. are letting verizon do this is beyond me.

I've seen T-mobile sim cards, but where is a Verizon sim card in an older LG phone?

most of their phones are CDMA ...meaning there is no sim card ...it has to be activated through the network ......so once the contract is over so is the phone.

again, another way Verizon trys to corner you and empty your pockets

-
Back