Very long story; I'll be messed up for a while, but lucky to be alive

-

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thursday of last week I was in a bad motorcycle accident on my 1950 HD Panhead chopper. I'm very lucky to be alive. Fortunately, I was the only person involved.

Rookie mistake made on my part. I was the last bike of nine in a fundraising event. I was unfamiliar with the road we were on. I was trying to keep up with the bike in front of me. I was riding in the right side of my lane as we were riding in a staggard formation. I rode too hard into a left turn and instead of downshifting like I knew to do, I let off the throttle. The suspension immediately unloaded, my chop stood up straight, and we slammed into the guardrail.

I maintained consciousness throughout the entire event. I remember my pelvis hitting the guardrail and thinking that I just broke my pelvis. I remember the toe of my right boot snagging the top of the guardrail as I went over it; it ripped my boot off. I rotated once head over heals and landed on my back sliding down a steep embankment. I slid to a stop.

My cell phone was in my left front pants pocket. I knew my left arm was broken. I didn't know if anyone knew where I was and didn't want to wait for someone to find me. I could hear my chop still running above me, but I didn't know if it was in the road or on the side of the embankment with me where nobody would see us. I grabbed some weeds with my right hand and pulled my body off my left arm. I used my left hand to get the phone out of my pocket, then grabbed it with my right hand. I dialed 911.

The 911attendent asked for my name and location. I knew my name, but I could only give an approximate location. About that time I heard a woman's voice yell down from the road asking if I was alright. I told her I was messed up bad. She said she would call 911 and I told her that I was already on the phone with them.

About that time, the group I was riding with had doubled back. My friends that were part of the pack, along with a couple of very nice local gentlemen joined me on the side of the embankment. EMS showed up shortly after and went to work on me. I called my wife, that was out of town visiting my family, that i was in an accident, but was fine and didn't need her to rush home. Once they got me stabilized on a back board, everyone, including the local gentlemen, part of the guys I was riding with and had just met earlier in the day, my friends, and EMS carried me 15' up the steep grade. They got me back over the guardrail and put my on a stretcher that EMS loaded into an ambulance.

EMS drove me to a school and we waited a few minutes for a helicopter to fly me to a hospital. They loaded me up and took off. About five minutes out, one of the care flight crew members asked me if I was alright. I replied that I was disappointed that there was no in flight movie or beverage offered. Not missing a beat, she replied that if I looked out the window to my left, I would see a beautiful view of downtown Cincinnati. That was a great reply as I was strapped to a stretcher with braces preventing me from turning my head.

I'll tell more of the story tomorrow as I'm starting to get tired.

Glad youre reasonably ok. I remember all 4 wrecks I had, but none involved an armco. May you have a speedy recovery my friend. Things could have been much different, as I'm sure has gone through your mind many times today.

Had a friend just do nearly the same thing on his Ducati, luckily he was thrown clear over the gaurdrail and came away with just scrapes and bruises. Sorry to hear about your accident, Heres to a speedy and pain free recovery!

Sounds like a scary time. Glad you made it through. Good luck on a fast recovery.

Glad you're no worse off than you are - sounds like quite a ride! Get better quickly!

Thanks everyone. I'll continue the story now since I'm having a hard time sleeping.

The helicopter lands at U of C Med Center, from what I've heard they are one of the best trauma centers in the state. They unload me and wheel me into the trauma center. A team of 12-15 doctors and nurses start asking me questions and working on me. I don't recall how long this takes.

Throughout this entire incident, everyone keeps asking me about my helmet; I wasn't wearing one and everyone can't believe how lucky I am.

After I'm stabilized, they push me to a side room in the same area. My beautiful and wonderful wife shows up. My friends show up to see me as well. One of my buddies tells me that it looked like a big chunk of meat out of the back of my leg was missing; on the side of the road they discovered that the back of my left leg was cut to the bone behind the knee.

They wheel me to another side room in that same area. They tell me that my pelvis is broken in numerous places, my left arm is broken at the humerous, fluid from my knee cap is leaking into my leg, and my right ankle is severely sprained. They proceed to insert a borescope up my urethra to look for internal injuries to that area; fortunately, no damage found. They give me a catheter; I've never had one before, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Awhile later, they decide to put me into surgery.

When I'm in recovery, the doctor tells me that everything went well. They put a plate and screws in my left arm, they repaired the leak in my right knee and sewed the back of my right leg back together. I asked about the missing meat and he told me it was all there, it just needed put back together. He said that my pelvis was not as bad as previously thought; the left pubic bone is broken and does not require surgery.

They move me to an inpatient room. Over the next three days, my mom and dad, sister and brother in law, and wife visit me at hospital. Some friends from work also come by for visits. They issue me a leg brace and a boot.

On Sunday, they move me to a rehab center, basically a nursing home, but it appears to be a very nice facility. That evening, they unwrap, count all staples and sutures, and re bandage all injuries. I believe the front of the right leg has 20 staples, the back of the right leg has 30 sutures, my left arm has 30 staples, and my right ankle is swollen all around. I'm not allowed to put any weight on my left leg, due to the broken pelvis, no weight allowed on my left arm either. I can't put any weight on my right leg currently with the injuries to it.

I will be here for six weeks. Recovery will be slow, but they expect a full recovery. I will require more physical therapy after my release.

I consider myself to be extremely blessed. I could be dead, paralyzed, or be missing a limb. I am very thankful for my blessings.

Wow Brad, you are very blessed indeed! Ill be praying for a full and short recovery, and may it be as painless as it can be! Take it easy and know that your friends here are thinking of you!! Geof

Wow, You are very lucky! I'm praying for a full recovery, and as short and as pain free as possible. Take it Slow and easy. Also know that we are here and praying for you!

Holy Crap! That sounds like it really hurt! Glad you're, at least, able to communicate. Get better soon, but don't try to be a hero and rush things, That never works out in the long run. Take your time, an heal completely, so there aren't any bad residual effects 20 years down the road.

WOW! That sounds like a horrific accident. You are blessed to be alive. Wishing you a quick and full recovery.

Very glad to hear that you are expected to have a full recovery. Get better soon.
C

Prayers to you man for a speedy recovery. You are really blessed..

Bruce

wow!!!!! glad you will survive!!!! only good thing about such terrible accidents, we go into shock and it doesn't hurt!???? adrenedlin and shock was invented by the almighty to help us thru!?
hey, chopper guys are tough!!!!!

That sounds like a nasty one. I hope you get well soon, sorry your number came up.

Wow, you took a nasty spill. Prayers sent for a successful recovery! tmm

Hope you heal up well. I said a prayer for you last night when I read about your horrific accident. Definitely the Man upstairs wants you to stay around a while longer!

-
Back