Victor sb intake porting help wanted

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I put an ad up wanting a Victor intake for my sb 410ci.Got a deal on a new one that a member had on the shelf for 8 yrs(thanks).I went out to the garage yesterday after reading some threads about how bad these were cast.Sure enough mine is the same,so I,m asking for advise on cleaning/opening this up to match my ported eddy heads.I,m not looking to go all out,just a quick clean up to match better than in the pics:violent1:
I,m now running an M1 with cometic intake gasket,so just took pics with the Felpro,s to show how much needs removed.Any help on how much to remove and dremel bits to use will be appreaciated.Thanks
View attachment 2012 66 DART 030.jpg

View attachment 2012 66 DART 031.jpg

So you want to take off the M1 and put on the Victor? Why? The M1 flows more air than the Victor

my victor w2 was the same. why do you want to change manifolds ? m1 or holley strip dominator is the only way to go with standard port heads. put the victor on ebay and buy something else

my victor w2 was the same. why do you want to change manifolds ? m1 or holley strip dominator is the only way to go with standard port heads. put the victor on ebay and buy something else
Standard port?I have Eddy RPMs P&P they flow in the 280,s cfm.My engine builder is saying the Victor is better than the M1.I,m running the M1 now and would like to try the Victor for chits and giggles(swap might take 1/2 hr)

So you want to take off the M1 and put on the Victor? Why? The M1 flows more air than the Victor
Mike nothing against opinions,but need to know for myself.Maybe I should start a pole with M1 or Victor intake on a stroked 410 sb?

Still looking for tips on how to clean this Victor intake up.;-)

I would match it up to the heads to see how much needs to be removed (Your gasket might be bigger than the intake runners on the head)....then get grinding. BTW, that is close to the same as what I started with when I port matched my victor (but I think your core shift is a little worse on that intake)....I can't remember if I posted pictures on here or not....I'll have to look.

Edit....and on a SB stroker, I would take a Victor over an M1 8 days a week (just my opinion).

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as well, i'll be doing the same to my victor 340 intake. I haven't checked how bad the casting is on it, but I may do that in a little bit. Mine is going on a 422 stroker, when I asked about it on here before, iirc, everyone thought it was the best for my engine.

Yeah Flyfish,I read your thread lastnight but didn,t see final results.Hope you can post pics here.Also did you pic up any 10ths?My first time out this season I ran [email protected] looking to get in the low 10,s :D

Unfortunately I did not run the intake before I did the gasket match...so I don't know if it actually did anything (besides making me feel better about running it).

I'm still at work, I'll try to look for those finished pics tonight...but basically I just used the old gasket as guide (that had the head's intake runners "prints" on it) and got crazy with the air grinder. I only went a few inches up the runners of the intake...not sure if this is good or bad, but that was all the time I wanted to spend on it. I didn't touch the plenum except for a little clean up work (smoothing at such).

I raced 2 weeks ago with the new CalTracs and mono's on the car....but my shocks were too tall (bottomed out against the bottom of the car), so my times SUCKED...6.95 with a 1.54 60' time, spinning hard. Got the right shocks on the car now (Calvert/Rancho 9 way), ready for my next race this weekend and looking for some 1.45 ish 60' times :D

Port matching isn't rocket science.

Match up the ports with the gasket, scribe a line (or use a sharpie) and start grinding.

Hell, a grinding bit in a hand drill and a round file will work.

On my flow bench, here how they stacked up

Victor 340 215cfm
M1 SBM 265cfm
Super Victor 340cfm
RPM SBM 245cfm
Stealth w/RPM port size 270+cfm

Port matching isn't rocket science.

Match up the ports with the gasket, scribe a line (or use a sharpie) and start grinding.

Hell, a grinding bit in a hand drill and a round file will work.
Really???

I,m looking more for tips on how far I can go in,how much to take off??Now get back to your 1 year cam install Enstien:sign3:

Edit....and on a SB stroker, I would take a Victor over an M1 8 days a week (just my opinion).

I thought that too, untill I used an M1 one of my customers had and wanted to use. This was a 408 with the same heads and cam that I had used in the past. I was expecting XX and got XXXX. I dont remember the final tally, but the power was up by quite a bit with the M1, maybe 15hp?

M1's will support 600hp with little work.

I believe it's rpm dependant. I've seen the M1 make more power below 6000rpm, on different builds but I've also seen the Victor make incredible HP up top compared to a ported M1....all depends.
Sad thing is that prepared the same, I'll bet they are very close until you get to the 550HP range and 7000rpm.
I've also seen the best flowing intake not make as much power as an rpm airgap that flowed 30cfm less!

You have to remember the plenum feeds 8 ports, and the carb feeds the plenum.
Brian

...I've also seen the best flowing intake not make as much power as an rpm airgap that flowed 30cfm less!...

Brian, did it shift/change the HP and torque curves though between best single plane vs airgap??

Yikes! Scott, I'm so sorry to see that. I had no idea it was like that. My brother used the same exact manifold on his 340 he built at the same time & it wasn't nearly as bad. He match ported his of course & I had intended to do the same with this one, but I had no idea it wasn't a good casting. I feel bad & hope it works out for you. I never compared the intake to the gaskets. I wish I had. I guess I just assumed it would fit like his did. :sad:

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Brian, did it shift/change the HP and torque curves though between best single plane vs airgap??

Ofcourse! That's why it's RPM specific as to which manifold is right for the application. Dirt track'rs know that some intakes drive better than others regardless of what the dyno says.
To me, the intake is a tool most of the time on street/strip engines. Now in a strong effort engine build...HP is king and the intake that makes the most usually wins.
In most cases, if you take an intake off and replace it with another and see big gains...there was a problem with it or it was wrong for the engine. Same can be said for: carbs, headers, heads, cams, etc....;-)

Ofcourse! That's why it's RPM specific as to which manifold is right for the application. Dirt track'rs know that some intakes drive better than others regardless of what the dyno says.
To me, the intake is a tool most of the time on street/strip engines. Now in a strong effort engine build...HP is king and the intake that makes the most usually wins.
In most cases, if you take an intake off and replace it with another and see big gains...there was a problem with it or it was wrong for the engine. Same can be said for: carbs, headers, heads, cams, etc....;-)

x2, but with the addition that for me it's the rpm of the torque peak and the torque curve shape I'm aiming for that really determines the intake used.

the proof will be when you run it, dyno's can make you smile but once you put it in a car things change. for example i ran a victor w2 on my 416 for a few years after i fixed the core shift (it was like yours). i wanted to put a tunnel ram on it more for looks and it picked up 3mph and a just about a tenth ! i figure that to be around 35 hp . this is in my challenger 3700lbs. with me in it, the point of this is everyone told me i was going to lose bottom end , you'll be shifting that thing way to high, streetability etc etc . and in the end everything was up and i only increased the shift point to 63-6400 rpm with a 4 gear. it worked in my car it may not work in a car with an auto and tight converter. try it and see, same reason i ran a holley strip dominator for years on my old 340, it flat out performed every other manifold i ever tried except for an old offy porto-sonic(same results)

Really???

I,m looking more for tips on how far I can go in,how much to take off??Now get back to your 1 year cam install Enstien:sign3:

To be honest I think it is going on 2 Years......:D

An in car cam change should only take 4 Hours or so. Engine out of the car a whole lot less.

If someone can stay off this site they might get more work done including myself! haaaa

From what Iv seen, the M1 works better than the Victor on a stroker. The Victor always picked up power with a spacer on a stroker, not enough plenum area. Plus the M1 has a better design for better flow. The Victor has a flat plenum bottom and that hurts flow, unless you get the carb farther away from it(spacer). Turtles help a lot on a Victor. Super Victor is much like a M1, only bigger, taller.

This is just what Iv seen.

-
Back